Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-27-2021, 09:24 AM   #91
MrTick
Enhtusiast
MrTick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 DxG PW1 KV PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
(...)Jailbreak survives on 5.13.4 (no confirmations from 5.13.5 yet).
I confirm for PW4 it also survives 5.13.5
MrTick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:49 AM   #92
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTick View Post
I confirm for PW4 it also survives 5.13.5
Great, thanks!
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2021, 10:44 AM   #93
MMente81
MMente81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 10th
I have Basic 10th 2019 Kindle, it is compatible with jailbreak?

Oversize image deleted. Relevant info below.

Serial #: G091 0L04
Firmware: 5.12.5

Last edited by issybird; 03-27-2021 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Please read guidelines before posting another image.
MMente81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:22 PM   #94
cronot
cronot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cronot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cronot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 10th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMente81 View Post
I have Basic 10th 2019 Kindle, it is compatible with jailbreak?

Oversize image deleted. Relevant info below.

Serial #: G091 0L04
Firmware: 5.12.5
Please read the Open Sesame topic that's linked on the OP. That in turn contains a link to a wiki page that contains a list of serial numbers of supported devices.

TL;DR: yes, looks like it is supported.

You should read the OP and the Open Sesame topic carefully regardless so you don't make mistakes on the jailbreaking process and after.
cronot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:26 AM   #95
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Now where to get a kindle oasis 3 with old firmware.....

No idea.
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2021, 09:14 AM   #96
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast
tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (jailbroken)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post

No idea.
I don't think they sell them with the latest firmware right now, so it should be fine. I might be wrong though, the best would be to ask around to see if anybody's bought a new kindle recently.

Maybe buy it from a 3rd party site if Amazon is already selling 5.13.4+ devices, they should have older stock.
tryol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #97
Klox
Klox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT4
Have a KT4 at 5.12.1, worked great! Thanks!

1. Currently sitting on airplane mode; it sounds like there may be a solution to blocking the auto OTA update being tested? I'm having trouble following that thread of discussion.

2. Is DNS blocking something that can prevent OTA updates?
Klox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:53 AM   #98
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast
tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klox View Post
Have a KT4 at 5.12.1, worked great! Thanks!

1. Currently sitting on airplane mode; it sounds like there may be a solution to blocking the auto OTA update being tested? I'm having trouble following that thread of discussion.

1.)
I haven't heard anybody who said that removing the 2 ota binaries didn't work for them in terms of preventing amazon to download updates. I wouldn't say that it's being "tested" since many people are using it and it's working for them perfectly.

I've tried downloading an update one manually and I was able to update, but that's because of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
This behaviour is caused by recovery-util, a binary within the initramfs of stock kernels. As you've noticed, it's capable of acting as a secondary update mechanism even when the main OTA update binaries have been removed or otherwise disabled.

The nuclear option of dealing with it is to build your own kernel from the kernel sources - IIRC this doesn't have an noticeable impact on the boot process because the initramfs is optional in the first place and U-Boot passes the rootfs partition to the kernel as part of the command line parameters.

That said, recovery-util can be useful for bootstrapping a borked kindle if you have serial access so it might be worth leaving it in place and using some form of iptables based DNS blocking instead.
Until I'm at least 99% sure that removing the binaries prevent any firmware downloads, I won't recommend it in the OP.

2.)
I'm not sure if there is a thread on this, but it should definitely work if done correctly.

Last edited by tryol; 03-28-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:15 AM   #99
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do not agree
https://goodereader.com/blog/kindle/...reaking-system
Old 03-28-2021, 11:23 AM   #100
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast

Quote:
To me it seems like that they're actually trying to popularize it considering how they explained everything a jailbroken device can do. They even went out of their way to confirm that it doesn't void your warranty. Maybe they wouldn't like to be targeted by Amazon, hence the title.

This is not true AFAIK:
Quote:
Jailbreaking a Kindle is a foolhardy quest. If you buy a new Kindle from Amazon today, it often comes with firmware that has a higher version.

With the largest e-reader blogs/channels talking about this, the Kindle jailbreaking scene will probably grow significantly in the next few months.

Last edited by tryol; 03-28-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:49 AM   #101
hius07
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klox View Post
Long list (might be a little obsolete) of Amazon ips can be found in the source code of KUAL Firewall with BBB filter
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=205925
Old 03-28-2021, 11:56 AM   #102
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
I bought an Oasis 3 in store at Best Buy last week. It has fw version 5.12.4
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #103
melksnor
Goodest E-Reader
melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 500 / Kindle 5th / Kindle PW4
Quote:
It's amazing how easily he peppers the story with misinformation. Some of the comments are already pointing that out. Wonder if they'll stay up.

If you want to read it but don't want to send the clicks, here's an archived copy

Last edited by melksnor; 03-28-2021 at 01:19 PM.
melksnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:23 PM   #104
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by melksnor View Post
It's amazing how easily he peppers the story with misinformation. Some of the comments are already pointing that out. Wonder if they'll stay up.

If you want to read it but don't want to send the clicks, here's an archived copy
Agree. They should read more about all of the effort that was involved in the making of KindleBreak and stop talking about it like if it was completely useless and not worth it.
@tryol, your work is awesome.
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:44 PM   #105
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMa View Post
Agree. They should read more about all of the effort that was involved in the making of KindleBreak and stop talking about it like if it was completely useless and not worth it.
@tryol, your work is awesome.
The reception so far already confirmed to me that it was worth it, but it's not like I wouldn't have made it even if was just for my own use.
I hope that everybody who helped me feel the same, some of them were heavily involved in the project.

Last edited by tryol; 03-28-2021 at 05:47 PM.

Tags
5.13.3, exploit, jailbreak, kindle, kindlebreak