Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-26-2021, 12:48 PM   #76
bnpssilva
Connoisseur
bnpssilva began at the beginning.

Device: KV, kOA2, KPW1, KPW2, KPW4,KT1, KT3, KT4,kOBOS, Nooks, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
What was the firmware version before the update?
bnpssilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #77
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast
tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (jailbroken)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnpssilva View Post
Unfortunately, as the OP warns you as well, that method doesn't work for anything on or above 5.12.x. The method in the "Block OTA by removing ota related binaries" thread could have worked, that's what @dhdurgee and @melksnor suggested to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryol View Post
Keep in mind that versions >= 5.12.x DON'T have a sure-proof way to block automatic updates right now. There is a method but I'm not sure it's been tested extensively enough for me to recommend it. If you still want to try it, check this thread for more info. Otherwise you'll have to keep the airplane mode on if you want to be sure to avoid updates and killing your jailbreak.
tryol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2021, 12:55 PM   #78
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Well, hotfix has been installed. So try to reboot twice. Jailbreak survives on 5.13.4 (no confirmations from 5.13.5 yet).
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #79
bnpssilva
Connoisseur
bnpssilva began at the beginning.

Device: KV, kOA2, KPW1, KPW2, KPW4,KT1, KT3, KT4,kOBOS, Nooks, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Well, hotfix has been installed. So try to reboot twice. Jailbreak survives on 5.13.4 (no confirmations from 5.13.5 yet).
Well, I think this time worked. Thank you very much! I did reboot a second time, using emergency-bridge-recovery.zip.

I couldn't reinstall Kual through ;log mrpi, but the kualbooklethotfix worked.

Thank you again!

Last edited by bnpssilva; 03-26-2021 at 01:31 PM.
bnpssilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:33 PM   #80
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All thanks to NiLuJe for his brilliant packages.
Advert
Old 03-26-2021, 02:41 PM   #81
Pinarius
Pinarius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 10th generation
Hello, I have a Basic 10th generation kindle with 5.13.4 firmware. Is it possible to downgrade 5.13.3 so that I can do the kindlebreak?
Pinarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:54 PM   #82
cronot
cronot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cronot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cronot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 10th gen
Quote:
Well, I think this time worked. Thank you very much! I did reboot a second time, using emergency-bridge-recovery.zip.

I couldn't reinstall Kual through ;log mrpi, but the kualbooklethotfix worked.

Thank you again!
Make sure you disable OTA through the rename method this time

Or keep your Kindle in airplane until that's further tested.
cronot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:55 PM   #83
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinarius View Post
Hello, I have a Basic 10th generation kindle with 5.13.4 firmware. Is it possible to downgrade 5.13.3 so that I can do the kindlebreak?
No, kindles have blocked firmware downgrades for years.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:24 PM   #84
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinarius View Post
I'm afraid your only option at this point with this kindle is via the serial port, if you have the required tools and skills to accomplish it. If so, check out the serial thread.

Is this a new kindle? If so perhaps it has a defect that would lead Amazon to replace it for you. I don't think they are shipping 5.13.4 yet, so that would get you one you could use this approach.

Beyond that, how important is this to you? You could order another kindle and sell this one to someone else to cover part of the cost.

Dave

Last edited by dhdurgee; 03-26-2021 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:41 PM   #85
Kyzia
Kyzia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Jailbreak not working

I just tried following the tutorial, and it's not working for me.

1.) What device were you using?
Kindle Paperwhite 4th Gen
2.) Which firmware version is on that device?
3.) What did the browser do when you navigated to kindlebreak.html?
Browser exited, and on the home screen I get a dialog box as follows;

Quote:
Application Error

The selected application could not be started.
Please try again.
CLOSE
4.) Do you have a file called kindlebreak_log.txt in your USB's root directory? If so, what's in side it?
No

Files in the root directory are as follows;
Code:
[DIR] .active_content_sandbox
[DIR] audible
[DIR] documents
[DIR] fonts
[DIR] voice
file.ser
idme.txt
jb
jb.sh
kindlebreak.html
kindlebreak.jxr
version.ser
So, I got the kindle today brand new. Started it up and bypassed initial setup. Installed update_pw4_5.10.1.3_diags.bin
Rebooted
Installed update_pw4_5.10.1.3_factory.bin
Rebooted
Confirmed that firmware version reported was 5.10.1.3
Tried the jailbreak, and got the outcome reported in 3.) above.

Where to from here?
Kyzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:45 PM   #86
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyzia View Post
So, I got the kindle today brand new. Started it up and bypassed initial setup. Installed update_pw4_5.10.1.3_diags.bin
Rebooted
Installed update_pw4_5.10.1.3_factory.bin
Rebooted
Confirmed that firmware version reported was 5.10.1.3
Tried the jailbreak, and got the outcome reported in 3.) above.

Where to from here?
Don't mix and match jailbreak methods. KindleBreak requires the normal firmware version.

Since you're already on factory fw, just proceed from Step 7 on this guide:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...48&postcount=1

Alternately, install normal firmware and then proceed with following the steps on the first page for the KindleBreak guide.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-26-2021 at 06:47 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:23 PM   #87
Kyzia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Don't mix and match jailbreak methods. KindleBreak requires the normal firmware version.

Since you're already on factory fw, just proceed from Step 7 on this guide:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...48&postcount=1
Thank you! That helped a lot. I followed the steps, and am almost all the way done. Successfully jailbroke, applied the hotfix, upgraded to 5.11.2, but now I have a new problem.

I followed Step 10 to install MRPI and KUAL - I also copied across the screensaver installer. But when I type ;log mrpi into the searchbar, I get "There are no results"
Old 03-26-2021, 07:34 PM   #88
Kyzia

It's ok - I got it working.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-27-2021, 02:22 AM   #89
atonement
Zealot
atonement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
I have been waiting for over a year to jailbreak my Kindle PW3 running 5.10.2. Serial JB wasn't a viable option.
I am planning to upgrade to 5.10.3. Don't want to upgrade to newer versions because they might be too aggressive in terms of forced OTA updates and potential battery drain issues. My query is once I flash 5.10.3 I can't downgrade to the original 5.10.2 even after applying the jailbreak, right?
atonement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:27 AM   #90
hius07
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by atonement View Post
My query is once I flash 5.10.3 I can't downgrade to the original 5.10.2 even after applying the jailbreak, right?
Once the device is jailbroken you can do anything
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=272132

Tags
5.13.3, exploit, jailbreak, kindle, kindlebreak