Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-08-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Kobo Clara now $90 at Walmart

Better late than never, I guess...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kobo-Clar...bled/848940265

And Walmart insists on saying the List Price for the Clara is $168.99? Where do they get that?

At any rate, Claras are $90 at Walmart (sold and shipped by Walmart) and they're currently showing two day delivery.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:08 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Better late than never, I guess...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kobo-Clar...bled/848940265

And Walmart insists on saying the List Price for the Clara is $168.99? Where do they get that?

At any rate, Claras are $90 at Walmart (sold and shipped by Walmart) and they're currently showing two day delivery.
I ordered mine on a Wednesday, delivery was scheduled for Friday, but it wound up showing up on Thursday.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Is the light-leak issue still an ongoing concern?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I don't believe so. Mine sure doesn't have it and I haven't heard people complain about it in quite a while. I believe it was just the early batch of Claras. Perhaps corners were cut to get it out the door quickly? (The issue was caused by not enough tape securing the screen in place, letting light leak around the sides that were missing the tape.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:29 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thank you.

Should I get one or get the new ereader that's coming out?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #6
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Given my current tracking info, it looks like it might have been faster to wait and get it from Walmart. Haha. It’d probably still arrive faster if I bought it today, and I bought mine on day one of the sale. Oh well.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:26 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Given my current tracking info, it looks like it might have been faster to wait and get it from Walmart. Haha. It’d probably still arrive faster if I bought it today, and I bought mine on day one of the sale. Oh well.
The only problem with waiting on Walmart is that you never know what's going to happen with them — whether they'll have the sale or not and whether they'll have the Clara in stock or not. You would think, since they're supposed to be partners with Kobo, that they would put Claras on sale the same day Kobo did.

I've got a feeling this partnership didn't work out the way they thought it would. Though I'm happy that Kobos can be picked up locally and that shipping is sometimes two days for them.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:31 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Thank you.

Should I get one or get the new ereader that's coming out?
I think (don't know) that the new reader is going to be an Aura 2 replacement — a Kobo branded Tolino Page 2 hardware "twin." I base this guess on the fact that battery is same for the Nia as it is for the Page 2 and that Kobo doesn't currently have a bottom-of-the-line device to compete with the Kindle Basic.

I'm guessing the Nia will look like one of these...

https://mytolino.com/tolino-page-2/page-2-ebook-reader/

Slightly bigger and thicker and heavier than the Clara, a lower resolution screen (212 ppi), five LEDs instead of 13, no Comfort Light Pro and a lesser battery. I'm guessing it's normal price will be $90 or $100 with sales at $60 or $70.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-08-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:52 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I ordered mine from kobo.com and it looks like it's coming from Canada. I thought they had a US shipping arm? Mine is due on Weds. I think they charged an international fee as well.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:20 AM   #10
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
oh man!! i ordered mine from kobo.com and I'm only saving $30 not almost $80. I feel ripped off!!
still the price i'm paying is the same....
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:15 AM   #11
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't believe so. Mine sure doesn't have it and I haven't heard people complain about it in quite a while. I believe it was just the early batch of Claras. Perhaps corners were cut to get it out the door quickly? (The issue was caused by not enough tape securing the screen in place, letting light leak around the sides that were missing the tape.
I bought my Clara from Walmart last summer and it does not have any lighting problems. I think they must have fixed he issue earlier last year.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #12
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I ordered mine from kobo.com and it looks like it's coming from Canada. I thought they had a US shipping arm? Mine is due on Weds. I think they charged an international fee as well.
Mine also says Wed on the UPS tracking. What international fee are you talking about? I don't see anything on mine.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Mine also says Wed on the UPS tracking. What international fee are you talking about? I don't see anything on mine.
There's a mysterious .76 international fee coming out of the account. It says "CARD FEE SVC CHG INTRNTL TR AN" I don't know what else it could be.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:56 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
There's a mysterious .76 international fee coming out of the account. It says "CARD FEE SVC CHG INTRNTL TR AN" I don't know what else it could be.
My guess is that is a charge by your credit card company and/or the entity you got it through.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:08 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
My guess is that is a charge by your credit card company and/or the entity you got it through.
I have to agree with j.p.s. On one trip to the US about a couple of decades back, my then credit card company added a service fee to every transaction. Their justification was to cover currency conversion costs despite the Canadian/US dollar conversion rate they used costing me about 3% more than at a bank or currency exchange. Coincidentally, that was the last time I used that card.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote