Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-30-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
phash
phash began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
PW - usbnetwork failed to start sshd

Hello.

Initially i was at 5.3.x when i jailbroken my Kindle PW (gen1).
Then I installed some hacks and upgraded to 5.6.1
Now I am trying to continue hacking my kindle but got a problem with USBNetwork. It says `failed to start sshd` when I toggle usbnet from KUAL menu.

I tried to apply hotfix from this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597
It applied successfully, but didnt help

Next, I tried to remove usbnet using uninstaller from same archive, but it doesnt help: update file dissapears from Kindle and `update your kindle` option stays inactive in settings.

After all, i found this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=274394
Apparantly, MrPI doesnt see USBNet package, i've put into mrpackages/ dir.

I still have working USBnet toggle in KUAL menu and telnet root access, but i hope for having wifi-ssh connection. My PC runs ArchLinux.

Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks in advance.
phash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:23 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by phash View Post
Hello.

Initially i was at 5.3.x when i jailbroken my Kindle PW (gen1).
Then I installed some hacks and upgraded to 5.6.1
Now I am trying to continue hacking my kindle but got a problem with USBNetwork. It says `failed to start sshd` when I toggle usbnet from KUAL menu.

I tried to apply hotfix from this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597
It applied successfully, but didnt help

Next, I tried to remove usbnet using uninstaller from same archive, but it doesnt help: update file dissapears from Kindle and `update your kindle` option stays inactive in settings.

After all, i found this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=274394
Apparantly, MrPI doesnt see USBNet package, i've put into mrpackages/ dir.

I still have working USBnet toggle in KUAL menu and telnet root access, but i hope for having wifi-ssh connection. My PC runs ArchLinux.

Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks in advance.
Before fighting with this any more, update to the current firmware: 5.6.1.1

And then:

You are most likely using the wrong (out-of-date) USBnetworking package (does not have your model enabled).

Get the things you need from this thread's first post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Re-install all of:
KUAL, MrPI, USBnetworking
with the current packages above.

And if the re-installed MrPI refuses to install the package, post a copy of the MrPI log.
(Details in the thread you linked to.)

And if the re-installed USBnetworking will not start properly, unplug the USB cable (the most current version will put that reminder message on the screen).
You can read more about that in the thread you linked too.

(It doesn't help to just to find a thread, sometimes you have to read it also. )

Last edited by knc1; 05-30-2017 at 02:45 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
phash

I am using latest firmware: 5.6.1.1, just reinstalled it with `update your kindle` menu and latest update_kindle_5.6.1.1.bin from amazon.

Next, I tried t reinstall MKK and KUAL, but MKK update file doesnt work: it just disappears from Kindle filesystem and `update your kindle` option keeps being inactive.

MRInstaller log does not exist.

Suddenly this file appeared in Documents dir: KUAL-2017-05-30T22.53UTC.txt. Its contents:
```
chmod: /usr/bin/dropbear: No such file or directory
chmod: /usr/sbin/sshd: No such file or directory
start-stop-daemon: can't execute '/usr/bin/dropbear': No such file or directory
```

I am stuck. Hope this can be solved without resetting my kindle.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by phash View Post
I am using latest firmware: 5.6.1.1, just reinstalled it with `update your kindle` menu and latest update_kindle_5.6.1.1.bin from amazon.

Next, I tried t reinstall MKK and KUAL, but MKK update file doesnt work: it just disappears from Kindle filesystem and `update your kindle` option keeps being inactive.

MRInstaller log does not exist.

Suddenly this file appeared in Documents dir: KUAL-2017-05-30T22.53UTC.txt. Its contents:
```
chmod: /usr/bin/dropbear: No such file or directory
chmod: /usr/sbin/sshd: No such file or directory
start-stop-daemon: can't execute '/usr/bin/dropbear': No such file or directory
```

I am stuck. Hope this can be solved without resetting my kindle.
It is hard to say just what is happening to you from here.

I have a small stack of PW-1 devices, all on 5.6.1.1 and all working trouble free.

The order you give of having tried to install things is different than what I told you to use, that is probably some of your troubles.

To install any of our *.bin packages, are you putting them in the /mrpackages directory and then triggering MrPI from the KUAL menu?
Do you have the USB cable disconnected when you do that?
Good, bad or indifferent, MrPI creates a log file. There is only two things I can think of that would prevent that, either hardware error or you are not using MrPI.

What is it with the trying to install MKK?
I don't recall telling you to do that (all thought it probably can't hurt to try).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:36 AM   #5
phash

I reinstalled MrPI, and then reinstalled USBNetwork using MrPI. And it worked. Case solved, thanks a lot for your patience @knc1

The main problem was that I was placing .tar.xz files into mrpackages/ instead of .bin files. My bad
Advert