Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2015, 12:43 AM   #1
Elder
Elder began at the beginning.

Device: none
There is no Duokan for KT2?

Hi guys, I am new in this world of e-readers and am very interested in buy the kindle 7th generation aka Kindle basic 2014

I discovered this alternative os that offers more liberty to the user and I love it, the thing is, I can't find duokan for the KT2 and every info that I found refers only to older models..
SO that's mean that the project is frozen or cancelled? There is no duokan for the KT2?

There is other way to read epub on it?

I am sorry for the bad English, it's not my native language
Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:03 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can convert EPUB to AZW3 with calibre. But if you must use actual EPUB files on your Kindle, then try KOReader.
You WILL still have to follow our sticky thread "Serial Jailbreaking your fw 5.6.x Kindle for Dummies", which requires work. But it should be doable if you have steady hands and are good at following directions.

In order to run non-Amazon-approved code on the Kindle, you MUST jailbreak.
Unfortunately, the only current way to jailbreak the KT2 and other fw5.6.x devices, is via the serial port.

All MobileRead hacks are open-source and are easily used via the serial port or however else you can get it on the device.
Duokan is a closed camp, which we have no involvement with. Their closed-source installer does not offer a serial port mode, and without their cooperation, there is nothing we can do.

Score zero for closed-source plagiarists.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-30-2015 at 01:08 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2015, 06:50 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder View Post
Hi guys, I am new in this world of e-readers and am very interested in buy the kindle 7th generation aka Kindle basic 2014

I discovered this alternative os that offers more liberty to the user and I love it, the thing is, I can't find duokan for the KT2 and every info that I found refers only to older models..
SO that's mean that the project is frozen or cancelled? There is no duokan for the KT2?

There is other way to read epub on it?

I am sorry for the bad English, it's not my native language
Another way (, and one supported here,) install KOReader.
That will require that you jail break your KT2.

Now, the people who want Doukan installed should pick which group they fall into:
  • I must have it as soon as possible!
    Super, we enjoy having people join who want to learn this technology.
    You will have to work for it in this case.
    • Follow the instruction to gain serial port access in the sticky "Serial port jail break your ..."
    • Follow the directions (posted somewhere here) about how to manually take apart and install Doukan.
      Note: The Doukan project does not support manual installation nor the new i.MX6 based devices. But you can find postings here on those subjects.
  • I must have it with the minimum effort and minimum user interaction!
    Not so super.
    You will have to wait for the Doukan Project (not us) to set it up for you.
    • We have a closed Kindle, software, jail break for these devices pending release.
      https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=265675
      Wait for it.
    • Then wait for the Doukan project to steal it, without credit, acknowledgment or other hints that they did not develop it themselves.
    • Then wait for the Doukan project to update their installer and release it.
      don't hold your breath, the Doukan project is nearly dead and the new owners don't really seem interested in continuing it.
    • Then get that updated project package from their (new owner's) site.
      Somebody in China pulled a fast one - they sold the Doukan project to a new owner without mentioning that they did not control or develop the required jailbreak nor supported the newly released devices.
      I guess China would not have the largest population of any country if they didn't screw each other frequently.
  • Give up on Doukan and install KOReader.
    We can and will help you here with that choice.

Ethics and morality aside ...
A few words about this example of Closed Source Vs Open Source.

Closed source has a limited number of people working on it. That number might be very large, but it is still limited.

Open source has, potentially, every device owner working on it.

Amazon had very little trouble bringing an end to Doukan's use of the Amazon devices and 'vendor locking' them to their own store rather than Amazon's store.

Those very same changes certainly slowed down our support of after-market add-ins for the device owners.
But it certainly did not bring it to an end.

One thing in our favor - it has been site policy now for several years to never appear to 'attack' Amazon's revenue stream.
So they don't make any targeted attack on shutting down our efforts.
The problems they cause us are just a side-effect of their own development direction(s).

Last edited by knc1; 11-30-2015 at 07:34 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote