Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #31
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Oh, please, the guys at Mobile Read do a great service. They've also "broken" alot of stories such as the sale of the Sony PRS-505. The fact is that there are plenty sources upon which the MR guys are basing the Kindle rumors upon. FCC documents, web searches, information on the Amazon site, and the NY Times.

Of course we e-book aficianados get excited to hear about new devices. It's absolutely natural.

As for the argument that only those that deserve to feel defensive actually are defensive is a false hypothesis because there are many other variants to explain why people feel defensive. Any time a "you" is thrown out there, there will be those who feel insulted and attacked even if the debater isn't directing the comment at them. It's a sloppy technique akin known as the shotgun approach which can serve to injure those on the periphery as well as those who might be the true target.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #32
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
PS - I'm not terribly excited about the Kindle because it is so terribly ugly.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #33
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
I do not understand what all this fuss is about. Why should we not speculate, talk about any and all rumors and so on? What has this to do with managing expectations about e-books, Kindle, Amazon or whatever?

In the Kindle case I still believe that Amazon is testing the waters right now the way it did with the mp-3 store 2 years ago (remember when the rumors about that started?).

The time is just not right for a massive push into e-books, but it may be late next year, or in 09 when they finally they may secure rights for enough titles to have for once a real shot of pushing e-books into mainstream.

As more of a speculation, I think they wait for a major publisher to do drm-free e-books at reasonable prices and then they will go ahead with Kindle.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:34 PM   #34
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Can we get an ignore button? It's been largely unnecessary here but scrolling over bowerbird's "i'm from a mailing list" posts is getting kinda tiring.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #35
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

gosh, nate, i don't know how to react... truly. i said it directly once,
and then i said it directly a second time, and it still hasn't penetrated.

let me try a different tack. i admire your ability to ferret out facts...
my goodness, you're off searching the federal trademark database,
and a corporate information database for delaware, and who knows
what else, all for bits of info on a product that will only have impact
once it's been made available to the public, and maybe not even then.
you even found some places where the amazon web grunts messed up!
i admire your sleuthing abilities, and say that about _you_, _personally_.

so i will just add that i'm glad that i'm not one of the guys having an affair
with your wife, and leave it at that, ok? ;+)

as for the rest of you, believe what you want (even if it's the n.y. times
-- they couldn't print it if it wasn't true), because hey, that's what _i_ do!

-bowerbird

p.s. i got the real scoop from my source up in seattle. amazon is waiting
until they can release a machine consisting of that new e-ink that you can
fold up and put into your pocket, like a sheet of honest-to-goodness paper.
they've been assured it'll be available "real soon now", so they're waiting...
my friend said i couldn't quote him, though. he said to call it "speculation".
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #36
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Criticising would be devices on a forum is a good thing, even if they never exist.

We should feel lucky that we can participate in an accelerated evolution, one that kills off bad conception and design before damage is done to a user and to a small company. It gives us a chance, as experienced users, to point the right direction for manufacturers. It was proven often that MR had positive input in the market to the point that the actual surviving device's creators write here or follow our discussions.

I would push pretention to the point that Amazon has not marketed their device yet on the result of our discussions. Isn't this alone a good reason to pursue in a civilized manner? Let not our impatience spoil the lucid discourse that makes MR worthwhile and continue on.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #37
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Can we get an ignore button? It's been largely unnecessary here but scrolling over bowerbird's "i'm from a mailing list" posts is getting kinda tiring.
User Profile -> "Add xyz to Your Ignore List"
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:05 AM   #38
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
I hate having to consider this option. I've only ever used it once (for someone who seemed to want to take it as a personal challenge to try to offend me), but I have to admit I'm considering using it again.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #39
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Please, can you explain what results are obtained by this, I have no idea?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:11 AM   #40
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Please, can you explain what results are obtained by this, I have no idea?
You won't be able to see the words, but the space they take up will still be there.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #41
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Thanks, but that's plain wrong!

I fondly believe that any opinion is valid, isn't this protected by your constitution?

Even if an opinionator is obtuse and closed to reason he must be read. Personnally it make me stronger in my resolve and they give me more ammunition to fight them with intelligence.

"Keep your ennemies closer to you than your friends."

Alas, the only thing that gets to me is repetition, I get bored and skip over...
Old 11-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #42
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've never used the Ignore option, I have considered it on occasion, but I've decided that I'd rather not be unaware of what folks are saying.

These days, I just won't even consider it, as I figure it's just not an appropriate action for a Moderator to take.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #43
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'd say "let's get back to to rumour and speculation" instead of fighting about opinions.
There are things that can be resolved in a discussion and things that can't be.

This thread is about the Kindle. Bowerbird has said some things that might be true or not. He said it in a fashion that is not exactly what we conisder "polite and calm" here on mobileread, but it's not bad enough to warrant any moderator action I think.

Since we are in a subforum that deals with a device that is -at the moment- only rumour and speculation it is all we can do to trawl the internet for information and try to seperate it from pure "nonsense" rumour.
Nate and others put in a lot of work and found quite a large amount of info that suggests very strongy that the Kindle is going to be real, and since the links to kindle books were actually there on amazon, I guess it won't be a release "sometime in 2009" because that would make rather no sense at all.
Do I think Amazon will come to harm because we say it was "delayed"? Nope, I don't think so at all. They did not contradict or sue the NY-Times, and that's a lot more serious than some internet forum... so I guess they don't see any danger.
The Amazon Kindle has not been officially announced, but these days companies often spread rumours to test the market. Apple does it all the time...or do you think all that information seeps out onto the interent without a little help from insiders??? We saw the Kindle at FCC...that was probably not intentional...but the "Kindle Editions" on Amazon that even had pricing information and were not even removed immediately...I find it highly unlikely that something like that would just hapen by accident. And if Amazon is leaking out little tidbits of information, then what we are doing here is exactly what they want us to do. If they really did not leak it on purpose...well...then it's their own fault...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #44
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Honestly, I don't need one for this poster. I find the formatting so annoying to read I just end up skipping the posts. I read a couple of lines and just figure why bother?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #45
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

it seems y'all want full credit for the positives that relate from your speculation, but
you also want to evade responsibility when your predictions fail to pan out, or produce
negative consequences to the cause of electronic-books. ok, sounds like you're humans.

carry on...

-bowerbird
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote