Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
chip
chip began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
mobi2mobi install problems on mac

Hi I also posted over in Kindle Troubleshooting. I hope this is okay, but my problem is with mobi2mobi installation. I'm on a mac running 10.6.1 and I've had trouble with installation of a couple of components. First, two things I notice and what I did about them:

1. In the jpeg lib install, the instructions say:
Now to make the library itself.
export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.5
(use 10.4 if you have Tiger.)

So, I did:
export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.6
I have since redone it with ..._TARGET=10.5, but nothing has changed.

2. The other thing I noticed and failed to remember last night was that /usr/share/libtool/ no longer contains config.sub. Rather, there it is in /usr/share/libtool/config/ ...I used the latter, rather than moving config.sub into the higher directory. I wonder if that causes a pointer problem?

The error message that I get when I try to run ./mobi2mobi bookname.azw (which I do inside of the ~/eBook/tools/ directory that I made according to the instructions as the links somehow did not take in the sequential ln -s commands. I put bookname.azw into ~/eBook/tools/) is:

[chipg5s-Computer-2...\ tools]$ ./mobi2mobi Parallel\ Worlds\ A\ Journey\ Throug-asin_B000GCFCL4-type_EBOK-v_0.azw
Can't locate GD.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /Users/chipg5/eBooks/tools /Library/Perl/Updates/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/Updates/5.10.0 /System/Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.10.0 /Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.10.0 /Network/Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.10.0 /Network/Library/Perl /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.10.0 .) at /Users/chipg5/eBooks/tools/MobiPerl/Util.pm line 23.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /Users/chipg5/eBooks/tools/MobiPerl/Util.pm line 23.
Compilation failed in require at ./mobi2mobi line 54.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./mobi2mobi line 54.

And, indeed when I go back and look at the transcript from the first install attempt (I did it a second time and I have that transcript below) is:

cpan[3]> install GD
Running install for module 'GD'
Running make for L/LD/LDS/GD-2.44.tar.gz
Fetching with LWP:
ftp://cpan-du.viaverio.com/pub/CPAN/...GD-2.44.tar.gz
Fetching with LWP:
ftp://cpan-du.viaverio.com/pub/CPAN/.../LDS/CHECKSUMS
Checksum for /Users/chipg5/.cpan/sources/authors/id/L/LD/LDS/GD-2.44.tar.gz ok
Will not use Archive::Tar, need 1.00
GD-2.44/
GD-2.44/t/
GD-2.44/t/test.out.3.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/GD.t
GD-2.44/t/tile.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.4.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.5.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.6.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.7.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.9.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.3.png-1
GD-2.44/t/Polyline.t
GD-2.44/t/test.out.4.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.4.png-2
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.png-2
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.png-3
GD-2.44/t/test.out.1.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.2.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.2.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.3.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.3.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.4.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.4.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.5.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.5.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.6.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.6.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.7.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.7.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.9.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.9.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.5.png-1
GD-2.44/t/Generic.ttf
GD-2.44/t/test.out.6.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.7.png-1
GD-2.44/t/frog.jpg
GD-2.44/t/frog.xpm
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-2
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-3
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-4
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-5
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-6
GD-2.44/t/tile.gif
GD-2.44/t/tile.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.2.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.9.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.9.png-2
GD-2.44/t/palettemap.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.2.jpeg
GD-2.44/GD/
GD-2.44/GD/Group.pm
GD-2.44/GD/Polygon.pm
GD-2.44/GD/Simple.pm
GD-2.44/GD/Image.pm.PLS
GD-2.44/GD/Polyline.pm
GD-2.44/GD.pm
GD-2.44/GD.xs
GD-2.44/demos/
GD-2.44/demos/brushes.pl
GD-2.44/demos/font_list.png
GD-2.44/demos/fonttest
GD-2.44/demos/polys.pl
GD-2.44/demos/fills.pl
GD-2.44/demos/truetype_test
GD-2.44/demos/shapes.pl
GD-2.44/demos/copies.pl
GD-2.44/demos/ttf.pl
GD-2.44/demos/gd_example.cgi
GD-2.44/demos/tile.png
GD-2.44/demos/polyline.pl
GD-2.44/demos/transform.pl
GD-2.44/qd.pl
GD-2.44/README
GD-2.44/Makefile.PL
GD-2.44/README.QUICKDRAW
GD-2.44/META.yml
GD-2.44/typemap
GD-2.44/bdf_scripts/
GD-2.44/bdf_scripts/README
GD-2.44/bdf_scripts/bdf2gdfont.PLS
GD-2.44/bdf_scripts/bdftogd
GD-2.44/bdf_scripts/bdf2gdfont.pl
GD-2.44/README.unix
GD-2.44/ChangeLog
GD-2.44/MANIFEST

CPAN.pm: Going to build L/LD/LDS/GD-2.44.tar.gz

Notice: Type perl Makefile.PL -h for command-line option summary.

**UNRECOVERABLE ERROR**
Could not find gdlib-config in the search path. Please install libgd 2.0.28 or higher.
If you want to try to compile anyway, please rerun this script with the option --ignore_missing_gd.
Warning: No success on command[/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL]
LDS/GD-2.44.tar.gz
/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL -- NOT OK
Running make test
Make had some problems, won't test
Running make install
Make had some problems, won't install
Failed during this command:
LDS/GD-2.44.tar.gz : writemakefile NO '/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL' returned status 512

Obvously, that's an issue. I redid the ..._TARGET=10.5 and went back to the GD install and got:

[chipg5s-Computer-2...\ gd-2.0.35]$ sudo perl -MCPAN -e shell

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.9402)
Enter 'h' for help.
cpan[2]> install Palm::PDB
Palm::PDB is up to date (1.011).

cpan[3]> install XML::Parser::Lite::Tree
XML::Parser::Lite::Tree is up to date (0.12).

cpan[4]> install GD
Running install for module 'GD'
Running make for L/LD/LDS/GD-2.44.tar.gz
Has already been unwrapped into directory /Users/chipg5/.cpan/build/GD-2.44-ea1oc2
'/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL' returned status 512, won't make
Running make test
Make had some problems, won't test
Running make install
Make had some problems, won't install

again, obviously a problem.

Any ideas?

thanks.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Perhaps a silly question, did you try it with sudo (don't flame me hehe)?
sudo install GD
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I wrote the directions for a Leopard machine. I haven't tried them on Snow Leopard. It looks like some dependencies have been changed. Perhaps tomorrow if I have some time I will look to see if I can get this working on 10.6....

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't tried this yet, but rather than using CPAN try using macports. Not sure if you are familiar with it... but there is a GD2 port that I think would meet the requirement of mobiperl.

It looks like you would need to install the following macports to get mobiperl working.

gd2
p5-palm
p5-timedate
p5-getopt-mixed
p5-image-size
p5-xml-parser-lite-tree
p5-encode

BOb
Old 11-09-2009, 03:31 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
**UNRECOVERABLE ERROR**
Could not find gdlib-config in the search path. Please install libgd 2.0.28 or higher.
Did Step 5, the libgd install go OK? Because that's what it is complaining about.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Ok,

I got it working on Snow Leopard. Here is what I did.

1. Install MacPorts... this will make it a whole lot easier. http://www.macports.org

2. Once you get ports installed use macports to install the gd lib stuff:
sudo port install gd2

This will also install perl 5.8.9... perl 5.10 comes with Snow Leopard. Not sure it any mac stuff requires that... but you can always go back, macports puts stuff in a separate location.

I also installed the following macports:

p5-gd
p5-palm
p5-timedate
p5-getopt-mixed
p5-image-size
p5-xml-parser-lite-tree
p5-encode

Then, I use CPAN to install the following... there didn't seem to be any macports for them:

HTML::TreeBuilder
Image::BMP

After that mobi2mobi ran... well it gave me the command line options. I didn't actually try it. But, it doesn't seem to run unless all the dependencies are there.

I expect that if you just use MacPorts to install the gd2 stuff... which install all those dependencies like zlib, libtool, libjpeg, libpng, freetype, etc... then you can just use CPAN for the rest.

Good luck to you.

BOb
Old 11-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
chip

Thanks...I'll try that when I dig out of my current work. I hadn't known about macports, actually!
Chip
Old 12-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
chip

mobi2mobi snow leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok,

I got it working on Snow Leopard. Here is what I did.

1. Install MacPorts... this will make it a whole lot easier. http://www.macports.org

2. Once you get ports installed use macports to install the gd lib stuff:
sudo port install gd2

This will also install perl 5.8.9... perl 5.10 comes with Snow Leopard. Not sure it any mac stuff requires that... but you can always go back, macports puts stuff in a separate location.

BOb
I finally got a moment to go back to this. Here is what I've done:

1. installed Xtools from the snow leopard disk
2. installed macports - checked with an update command to be sure that it was functioning at that level.
3. tried to install gd2. That failed...with the following error:

[chiplocal-3...\ ~]$ sudo port install gd2
---> Computing dependencies for gd2
---> Verifying checksum(s) for expat
Error: Checksum (md5) mismatch for expat-2.0.1.tar.gz
Error: Checksum (sha1) mismatch for expat-2.0.1.tar.gz
Error: Checksum (rmd160) mismatch for expat-2.0.1.tar.gz
Error: Target org.macports.checksum returned: Unable to verify file checksums
Error: The following dependencies failed to build: autoconf help2man gettext expat libiconv gperf ncurses ncursesw p5-locale-gettext perl5 perl5.8 m4 automake fontconfig freetype zlib jpeg libpng libtool xpm pkgconfig xorg-libX11 groff xorg-bigreqsproto xorg-inputproto xorg-kbproto xorg-libXau xorg-xproto xorg-libXdmcp xorg-util-macros xorg-xcmiscproto xorg-xextproto xorg-xf86bigfontproto xorg-xtrans
Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.

At first, I thought maybe the fetching of the expat tarball failed, so I manually downloaded it into my home directory. But, the above repeated itself. Any ideas?

thanks,
Ray
Old 12-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
I finally got a moment to go back to this. Here is what I've done:

1. installed Xtools from the snow leopard disk
2. installed macports - checked with an update command to be sure that it was functioning at that level.
3. tried to install gd2. That failed...with the following error:

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: autoconf help2man gettext expat libiconv gperf ncurses ncursesw p5-locale-gettext perl5 perl5.8 m4 automake fontconfig freetype zlib jpeg libpng libtool xpm pkgconfig xorg-libX11 groff xorg-bigreqsproto xorg-inputproto xorg-kbproto xorg-libXau xorg-xproto xorg-libXdmcp xorg-util-macros xorg-xcmiscproto xorg-xextproto xorg-xf86bigfontproto xorg-xtrans

At first, I thought maybe the fetching of the expat tarball failed, so I manually downloaded it into my home directory. But, the above repeated itself. Any ideas?

thanks,
Ray
Hmm... I'm not 100% sure but I can think of two things.

1. Did you install the XCode that comes on the Snow Leopard CD? Older versions don't work.

2. Did you install X11 also?

3. run
sudo port selfupdate

How did you install macports? Did you use the install package? That is the easiest way to do it.

BOb
Old 12-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #10
chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hmm... I'm not 100% sure but I can think of two things.

1. Did you install the XCode that comes on the Snow Leopard CD? Older versions don't work.

2. Did you install X11 also?

3. run
sudo port selfupdate

How did you install macports? Did you use the install package? That is the easiest way to do it.

BOb
Thanks for helping. By the way, this is on a different computer from the one that I tried a month ago. So, that by way of noting that there would be no incompatibilities were this to get going.

1. Yes, I used the snow leopard DVD
2. Yes, I already had X11 installed.

I installed macports from the install package, yes.

3. Here's the result of the selfupdate, followed by another attempt at installing gd2. By the way, anything I try to install of the list you suggested above gives the same checksum error. (which sounds like an unpacking problem of some sort?)

[chiplocal-3...\ ~]$ sudo port selfupdate
Password:
---> Updating the ports tree
---> Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
MacPorts base version 1.8.1 installed,
MacPorts base version 1.8.1 downloaded.
---> MacPorts base is already the latest version

The ports tree has been updated. To upgrade your installed ports, you should run
port upgrade outdated
[chiplocal-3...\ ~]$

Did you already have expat installed sometime earlier? Could there be a problem with it?

Ray
Old 12-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #11
chip

Okay. I should have done this earlier. I googled the error message and learned to clean...

[chiplocal-3...\ ~]$ sudo port clean --dist expat
Password:
---> Cleaning expat
[chiplocal-3...\ ~]$
---> Fetching expat
---> Attempting to fetch expat-2.0.1.tar.gz from http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/expat
---> Extracting expat
---> Configuring expat
---> Building expat

and so on through the build.

What seems to have happened before was that the fetch of expat was interrupted - it went through 3 different sites before it tried the checksum. I'll bet it really never fetched the tarball at all and the checksum failed because it was never downloaded or partially so. The clean command made it go back to fetch again, whereas some condition before was satisfied even with the failed fetch and successive attempts didn't try to do that.

So. gd2 is installed and I'll mess with it some more tomorrow.

thanks!
Old 04-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #12
Rockete
Rockete began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello everyone !

I've faced the same issue, I followed the instruction of pilotbob but it still cannot find GD.pm...how did you do Chip ?
Did you have to uninstall the other version of perl ? Could it work wit 5.10.0 ? Should I remove CPAN ?

Here is my error :

toto@totobook:~$ mobi2mobi
Can't locate GD.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /Users/toto/eBooks/tools /sw/lib/perl5 /sw/lib/perl5/darwin /Library/Perl/Updates/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/Updates/5.10.0 /System/Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.10.0 /Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.10.0 /Network/Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.10.0 /Network/Library/Perl /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.10.0 .) at /Users/toto/eBooks/tools/MobiPerl/Util.pm line 23.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /Users/toto/eBooks/tools/MobiPerl/Util.pm line 23.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/bin/mobi2mobi line 54.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/mobi2mobi line 54.

Thanks a lot !
Rockete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

you followed message #6 above and installed the listed macports? Especially the GD2 macport?

BOb
Old 04-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #14
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockete View Post
Did you have to uninstall the other version of perl ? Could it work wit 5.10.0 ? Should I remove CPAN ?

Here is my error :
I used to get this error even though I had everything successfully installed and working for several weeks before it "broke".

It turned out that what happened was that the Perl modules were available for one install of Perl (default that came with the system), but at a certain point I installed MacPorts for Wine support and its Perl became the "dominant" one.

Rather than reinstall all the required modules etc. for Mobi2Mobi again to go with MacPorts' version, what I did was alias the commands in my .profile so that the PATH would automatically be set to use the system Perl and Perl libraries first.

Something like this:
Code:
alias mobi2='export PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:$PATH"; mobi2mobi'

Hope this helps, and welcome to MobileRead!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

when you install MacPort is tells you to modify the path in your .profile.. for this reason... so that the ports are in the path before the default Leopard installs. If you don't do this you will see funky stuff happen.

I think a lot of people miss doing this.

If you do which perl you should see it show the path in the ports folder.

BOb