Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2024, 04:30 PM   #1
Ruskecius
Ruskecius began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E; Kobo Sage
Unhappy Not able to open cloud-saved books after uploading KoboReader.sqlite from my Clara 2E

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a Kobo Sage and attempted to transfer my reading stats from my previous device, the Clara 2E. Unfortunately, despite following the steps outlined in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=336182, I've encountered a problem.

While everything else seems to have transferred successfully, I'm unable to open the books from my Kobo account on the new device. I've tried this process three times, but each time I face the same issue.

If anyone has experienced a similar problem or knows of a solution, I would greatly appreciate your help!

Thank you.
Ruskecius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 04:36 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskecius View Post
... I'm unable to open the books from my Kobo account on the new device. ...
I suggest giving a little more detail on what is happening. Do you get any messages?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 04:43 PM   #3
Ruskecius

Here's the error message I'm encountering when attempting to open the books on my new device:

"Oops! This document couldn't be opened

There might be a problem with the file. Try syncing your eReader. If you still can't open it please contact Kobo Customer Care at help.kobo.com"

Unfortunately, syncing the eReader didn't resolve the issue as suggested in the message.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:51 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Did you connect your new Kobo to the same Kobo account as your old Kobo before you copied over the user data?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 05:08 PM   #5
Ruskecius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Did you connect your new Kobo to the same Kobo account as your old Kobo before you copied over the user data?
Yes. It's the same account!
Old 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM   #6
Ruskecius

Am I supposed to copy all the files and folders after changing the KoboReader.sqlite or before the change? I didn't try to do it after, only before.

I don't know if there's a difference since in the post it says to do it first thing.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:23 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The one time I tried this, I copied all the contents of the exposed storage on the old device to a folder (old) on my desktop. I then repeated that with the contents of the exposed storage on the new device to a folder (new) on my desktop. I copied the KoboReader.sqlite from the old folder onto the desktop and edited it with the data from the KoboReader.sqlite in the new device's folder, copied the entirety of the old folder onto the new device and then copied the modified KoboReader.sqlite into the new device's .kobo folder.

I did this so that any downloaded books in the .kepub directory and other information such as the Kobo eReader.conf file were copied to the new device.

Old and new may have been rather boring names for the working directories but they worked for me.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-25-2024 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:36 PM   #8
Ruskecius

Quote:
The one time I tried this, I copied all the contents of the exposed storage on the old device to a folder (old) on my desktop. I then repeated that with the contents of the exposed storage on the new device to a folder (new) on my desktop. I copied the KoboReader.sqlite from the old folder onto the desktop and edited it with the data from the KoboReader.sqlite in the new device's folder, copied the entirety of the old folder onto the new device and then copied the modified KoboReader.sqlite into the new device's .kobo folder.

I did this so that any downloaded books in the .kepub directory and other information such as the Kobo eReader.conf file were copied to the new device.

Old and new may have been rather boring names for the working directories but they worked for me.
So, if I understand correctly, you're suggesting that I transfer all my data from my old device to my new one, instead of all the data besides the .kobo folder.Is that right?
Old 03-25-2024, 05:45 PM   #9
Ruskecius

Instead of doing the process all over again I just got the old .kobo folder and uploaded it to the new device with the KoboReader.sqlite from the new device with the changes from the previous attempt.

It turned out to be unsuccessful, unfortunately!
Old 03-25-2024, 06:06 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskecius View Post
Instead of doing the process all over again I just got the old .kobo folder and uploaded it to the new device with the KoboReader.sqlite from the new device with the changes from the previous attempt.

It turned out to be unsuccessful, unfortunately!
Your KoboReader.sqlite was generated from the one from the old device with the edit coming from the new device's KoboReader.sqlite?
Old 03-25-2024, 06:08 PM   #11
Ruskecius

Quote:
Your KoboReader.sqlite was generated from the one from the old device with the edit coming from the new device's KoboReader.sqlite?

Yes, I did it exactly as it says in the post I mentioned before! I'm trying the way you said it worked for you now.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:38 PM   #12
Ruskecius

Yes, it was! I'm literally trying everything, I really don't understand why this isn't working. I haven't seen anyone speaking about this problem before!
Old 03-25-2024, 07:56 PM   #13
Ruskecius

I tried it again by uploading everything from the old device to the new one and changing the KoboReader.sqlite. Surprisingly, one of the 6 books I have synced with my Kobo account works normally. All the others show the message I mentioned earlier.

I'm spending so much time trying to make this work, I just hope I find a way to do it!
Old 03-26-2024, 03:13 PM   #14
Ruskecius

I've decided to stop stressing over the stats. It's been too much time wasted trying to figure it out, with countless factory resets and repairs. But life moves on.

I've got the hang of transferring status and progress from device to device using Calibre, and that's what matters most to me!

Still, I'll make sure to back up my Clara 2E's environment just in case there's a way to get the database transfer right.

Thanks a lot for your help, David!