Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2024, 11:31 PM   #1
getthething
getthething has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.getthething has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.getthething has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Losing Annotations After Chapter Change

Hi

I started reading a new book (side loaded kepub) and whenever I make a highlight/annotation, it sticks fine, but as soon as I go proceed through the book to a new chapter, all annotations disappear. This is the first time I’ve noticed it happening. Other kepubs seem to be fine.

If it’s helpful, I run all my books through the polish action in Calibre and convert them on transfer from epub to kepub via kobo touch extended (or is it kobo utilities that does it?)

Anything I can do?
getthething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 12:16 AM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you tried using the Calibre editor to check the book for errors? It might have a formatting problem that's causing the error. You could also try running the book through kepubify instead of the KTE driver to see if that makes any difference.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 07:37 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
This also happens if the Kobo database is corrupted. Kobo Utilities in Calibre can check it.
Using epub2 may be the most reliable for annotations on Kobo.

It's Kobo Touch Extended that makes it into a kepub. You can turn that off to test. However a corrupted database on the Kobo is likely.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 11:09 AM   #4
getthething
getthething has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.getthething has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.getthething has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Have you tried using the Calibre editor to check the book for errors? It might have a formatting problem that's causing the error. You could also try running the book through kepubify instead of the KTE driver to see if that makes any difference.
It did have a few errors that couldn't be automatically fixed. But I tested about 10 other books and they all had at least a couple errors. However, I think I fixed it by not upgrading to ePub 3 with the polish action.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:12 AM   #5
getthething

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
This also happens if the Kobo database is corrupted. Kobo Utilities in Calibre can check it.
Using epub2 may be the most reliable for annotations on Kobo.

It's Kobo Touch Extended that makes it into a kepub. You can turn that off to test. However a corrupted database on the Kobo is likely.
Kobo Utilities says the DB is ok. I think I fixed it by re-adding the book and turning off the "upgrade book internals" in the polish action.

Weird side note, I tried turning off the kepub conversion in KTE, but the books still get sent as kepub. Not sure which setting is responsible though.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:14 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by getthething View Post
Kobo Utilities says the DB is ok. I think I fixed it by re-adding the book and turning off the "upgrade book internals" in the polish action.

Weird side note, I tried turning off the kepub conversion in KTE, but the books still get sent as kepub. Not sure which setting is responsible though.
Go to Preferences > Plugins. Then search for kobotouchextended. Select the driver and click Customize plugin. Go to the Extended taba nd uncheck Send books as kepub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM   #7
getthething

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Go to Preferences > Plugins. Then search for kobotouchextended. Select the driver and click Customize plugin. Go to the Extended taba nd uncheck Send books as kepub.
ahh ok. I had just unchecked kepub in the list on file formats tab. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2024, 12:33 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by getthething View Post
ahh ok. I had just unchecked kepub in the list on file formats tab. Thanks!
AFIAK the order and checked only affects what already existing file is sent to a device.
So for Kindle:
azw3
mobi
pdf

and for non-Kobo, not Kindle:
epub
pdf

and Kobo might have (if not wanting kepub by default and on the fly conversion off)
epub
kepub
pdf

An Android Tablet might also have odt, docx, djvu, txt etc.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote