Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2024, 10:24 AM   #1
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
download audio books

Can kobo audio books be downloaded to my computer?
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 05:02 PM   #2
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
No. Only on Kobo e-readers that support audiobooks or in the Kobo App for smartphone or tablet. Details here: https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...o-an-audiobook

They do not permit downloading audiobooks to computer and have restricted them restricted to only the Kobo app, which means that unlike e-books, one's purchased or even free audiobooks cannot be backed up or listened to on other software/players. That for me personally is a deal breaker and I will have nothing to do with them unless it changes. Alas, I very much doubt that it will. :-(
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 12:36 AM   #3
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
I thought might be the case
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 05:53 AM   #4
nAhu
Enthusiast
nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: Kobo Glo (kobo4)
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
They do not permit downloading audiobooks to computer and have restricted them restricted to only the Kobo app, which means that unlike e-books, one's purchased or even free audiobooks cannot be backed up or listened to on other software/players. That for me personally is a deal breaker and I will have nothing to do with them unless it changes. Alas, I very much doubt that it will. :-(
I do not know any audiobook sellers who do not do this.
Even seen some rental one which make you have an online connection to listen it as it is not even downloaded to your device.
nAhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 06:28 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nAhu View Post
I do not know any audiobook sellers who do not do this.
Even seen some rental one which make you have an online connection to listen it as it is not even downloaded to your device.
And yet trivial to copy the audio. DRM is stupid; it doesn't stop piracy, but inconveniences users. It's just about acceptable on loans/rental and wrong on stuff you buy.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 07:16 PM   #6
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Unless it's been changed very recently I've always been able to download my Audible books and there are means of backing them up. DRM on rental units, yes, that is acceptable usage. Funny thing, audio books I get from the public library can be downloaded as .mp3 files and apparently have no DRM, though I do get a reminder to delete when expired. If it's rented or borrowed I don't mind not being able to download/backup as long as I can listen to the book within the allotted time period. That's perfectly reasonable. But if I am buying it, then I want to be certain I can use it whenever and wherever I please. Which is a thing many vendors seem to have forgotten and what they call a "purchase" has become nothing more than a very expensive long-term-if-you're-not-unlucky-and-they-or-it-vanishes rental. :: sigh :: Pirates, on the other hand, have no such woes; it's only the honest customers that need worry about the risk of losing their property. :-(
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote