Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2024, 04:51 AM   #16
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It's not that hard, and it greatly enhances your ability to customise the device to your liking, which is one of Kobo's strengths.
Good morning, do you believe in faries?
Today my kobo looks like one other! Maybe when I was sleeping did come a wizard or a sort of..and changed my old device because all freezes, blocking, instabilities that affected it so sadly yersterday, now have disappeared completely!
Mah. I've been doing more testing this morning, I have loaded Clara with some new books of mine, some epub standard mixed with kepub files in other cases and everything has been working fine!
What should I think about? Is my kobo nuts? Or sideloaded fonts would bother it in a way (I took them out, now it's going with its own default fonts), or, did it simply needed a factory reset being brand new?

What do you all usually do with your newly purchased devices? Do you usually put them to work at first swithch on, or you just reset them first?
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 05:56 AM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I put them to work.

I've got lots of sideloaded fonts on my Kobos, and rarely any freezing. Kobos can be moody - yours might just have been in a bad mood yesterday, or it felt ashamed when you talked about the inferiority of Kobos in the other thread.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 07:24 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In the Aa menu, turn off justification and your centered text will once again be centered.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 07:50 AM   #19
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
I know nothing about %1 in css. I don't use that in my sheets, but if it was something similar setted in my purchased ebooks, I've no idea.
You misunderstood what I was trying to explain. Your book's CSS doesn't use %1. It is found inside the Kobo firmware and is just a placeholder so that the Kobo can substitute it with either 'left' or 'justify' before applying the override CSS, dependent on if you selected either the 'left' or 'justify' button in the [Aa] menu. If you select the 'Off' button then override CSS for alignment is not applied at all.

Quote:
For God's sake no! Gosh.. no no. I 've never put myself in quicksands with patches, hacking or some similar stuff.
Seems a bit melodramatic to me. All I was trying to say is that there are tools to help with your original complaint. It's entirely up to you whether you use them.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 09:20 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You misunderstood what I was trying to explain. Your book's CSS doesn't use %1. It is found inside the Kobo firmware and is just a placeholder so that the Kobo can substitute it with either 'left' or 'justify' before applying the override CSS, dependent on if you selected either the 'left' or 'justify' button in the [Aa] menu. If you select the 'Off' button then override CSS for alignment is not applied at all.
Can the Aa menu's justification be patched to actually work properly?
Old 03-21-2024, 11:29 AM   #21
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Good question!
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 03:11 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
What do you all usually do with your newly purchased devices? Do you usually put them to work at first swithch on, or you just reset them first?
I don't reset a new device. OTOH, for a Kobo, I do register it, copy over my fonts and screensaver directories, install NickelMenu and it's config file and my lone KoboPatch patch (the one that matches epub and kepub base font size). I then add any books that I want on the new device and update metadata including reading state information using calibre.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 03:14 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Opinions are split on that. There is a group that says that the epub implementation is broken since the manual justification override does not work on all text. That is if I force left justification, it should apply to all text.

Since I personally don't use the justification override, it's a matter of indifference to me.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 05:14 PM   #24
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I used mine normally for a few months, and then I reset it to switch to sideload mode and haven't had to do any further resets in the year since.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 05:20 PM   #25
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There is a group that says that the epub implementation is broken since the manual justification override does not work on all text. That is if I force left justification, it should apply to all text.
I like the fact that KEPUB lets you override everything. One of the most important aspects of having an e-reader is being able to use my preferred font, and I like that KEPUB allows me to force the font of my choice on the entire book, whereas EPUB does not. This behaviour saves me a lot of time that I'd otherwise have to spend editing CSS to get the desired effect.

As far as justification goes, if you don't want to fully justify the entire text, then you should turn justification off and rely on the CSS to handle that for you, which means you're going to have to edit the book if you don't like the current CSS formatting. There's no way to make the justification setting in the menu do exactly what you want, unless what you want is to force a specific behaviour on the entire book, which is precisely what the menu currently does.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 02:00 PM   #26
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Quote:
Good question!
I think the short answer is 'No'.

Longer answer opinion ... I don't see how it's possible because the override is a single CSS statement with '!important' stuck on the end of it. This is a crude blunt instrument at best. What single line of CSS could you create which would selectively change 'justify' to 'left' (or vice versa), whilst leaving as-is 'center' and 'right'?

What would have a better chance of success is a program which reads the whole CSS file for each book and modifies only the "relevant CSS styles" but even then there would be problems keeping everyone (or anyone?) happy. For example, I prefer main body text to be full-justified, but any (fictitious) program which auto-changed 'left' to 'justify' for CSS styles intended for poetry text would be a program I wouldn't use.

If anyone wanted to pursue this selective approach then I suspect it would be better incorporated as an option in the calibre KOBOTOUCH driver so that the CSS could be auto-modified on-the-fly during the calibre send-to-device process and the master copy of the epub would remain unchanged in the calibre library. In much the same way as the KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED driver kepubifies a standard epub during send-to-device without changing the calibre library epub.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 03:36 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think the short answer is 'No'.

Longer answer opinion ... I don't see how it's possible because the override is a single CSS statement with '!important' stuck on the end of it. This is a crude blunt instrument at best. What single line of CSS could you create which would selectively change 'justify' to 'left' (or vice versa), whilst leaving as-is 'center' and 'right'?

What would have a better chance of success is a program which reads the whole CSS file for each book and modifies only the "relevant CSS styles" but even then there would be problems keeping everyone (or anyone?) happy. For example, I prefer main body text to be full-justified, but any (fictitious) program which auto-changed 'left' to 'justify' for CSS styles intended for poetry text would be a program I wouldn't use.

If anyone wanted to pursue this selective approach then I suspect it would be better incorporated as an option in the calibre KOBOTOUCH driver so that the CSS could be auto-modified on-the-fly during the calibre send-to-device process and the master copy of the epub would remain unchanged in the calibre library. In much the same way as the KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED driver kepubifies a standard epub during send-to-device without changing the calibre library epub.
Given that a lot of eBooks shove an unneeded justify all over the place in CSS, I suppose removing the !important would not work. If justify was just in body, then !important could be removed.