Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-03-2017, 01:18 PM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Here's what one reviewer, in part, said about "Valhalla Rising":

"They are cheesy, self-indulgent fantasy, filled with outrageously impossible scenarios and some of the most lame dialogue (Iceberg and Jungle were the by far worst in this respect). There have been many times while reading his books that I said out loud "OMG this is so ridiculous. Why the heck am I reading this!". The answer to that question is illusive. But it is because I like them... I just plain enjoy them."

This sounds like my kind of reading, after finishing (for the second time), "Invisible Man".
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This sounds like my kind of reading, after finishing (for the second time), "Invisible Man".
Wells or Ellison?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2017, 01:42 PM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Wells or Ellison?
Aha! Caught you!

The books have two different titles:

1) Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
2) The Invisible Man - H.G. Wells

I read the Ellison title when I was in my 20s and loved it, so I figure it's about time to revisit this wonderful novel.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:45 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Aha! Caught you!

The books have two different titles:

1) Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
2) The Invisible Man - H.G. Wells.
Well, another book is called The War of the Worlds, but if someone tells me they read War of the Worlds, I understand what they mean. Just don't tell me you read it if you actually listened to it
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:01 PM   #20
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I wrote rather more on "Raise the Titanic!" in The Pulpmeister Reviews, in the Patricia Clark Memorial Library Kindle/Mobi section of this forum. (Free ebook! What next?) There are a dozen or so mostly tongue-in-cheek reviews of a number of best sellers from The 39 Steps (John Buchan) through The Green Hat (Michael Arlen), and others such as E Phillips Oppenheim, Agatha Christie, Hammond Innes, up to to Titanic! which was the first Cussler I read. I put the reviews in the Public domain simply to put them out there. Have a look if you like, but bear in mind there's a bit of a plot spoiler if that affects you.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2017, 11:07 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
These sound very cartoonish. If so, I might enjoy them.
I've read some of the Dirk Pitt series and I do think you'd enjoy them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:07 AM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've read some of the Dirk Pitt series and I do think you'd enjoy them.

That "Valhalla Rising" sounds like a hoot!

-- Thanks.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #23
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
OK, let me ask this next question then. I really like James Rollins. His "individual adventures" (Subterranean, Ice Hunt, Amazonia, etc.) as well as his Sigma Force series. But I've gone through most all of these, with only a few left before I'm all done.

Cussler is an author I was thinking of as a "replacement" for Rollins, once I finish up all Rollins books. Is that a reasonable conclusion? I'm also looking at Matthew Reilly, Jeremy Robinson, Steve Berry, Chris Kuzneski and D.L Golemon. My favorite Rollins books are the ones that go into fantastical places - underground worlds, etc. These are the kind of books/authors I am wanting to find. Cussler may or may not be it.
Many of the early Cussler books step back to some, sometimes fantastic, events of the past - and while these intros are generally short, they also generally quite well done. And several of the books do have very interesting settings in the larger contemporary part of the story. For example Atlantis Found not only finds "Atlantis" but has ships made to ride out world killing tsunami. It's a fun read, and though not a favourite of mine it might appeal as a place to start and see what you think.

Yes, I think you might like Matthew Reilly. I read Ice Station and Area 7, quite a while ago now, and they were along these lines, and fun to read.

Steve Worland had a helicopter and a space shuttle doing amusing things in Velocity. I read this more recently so have review notes that remind me that the early parts of this book read a bit like a product placement advertorial (everything was some brand of something), but it does settle down and I'm hopeful his next books might get better (but haven't tried them yet).

Last edited by gmw; 11-06-2017 at 09:31 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I find them formulaic but enjoyable, in a “switch your brain off while reading” kind of way. I remember thinking they were absolutely brilliant when I was about 14 years old, reading them as they were newly published .

Last edited by HarryT; 11-10-2017 at 04:04 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #25
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find them formulaic but enjoyable, in a “switch your brain off while reading” kind of way. I remember thinking they were absolutely brilliant when I was about 14 years old, reading them as they were newly published .
I think that it was Campbell that said the golden age of Science Fiction was 14.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote