Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #61
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Lots of custom columns maybe? If I look in the metadata files I tend to see all the custom columns with definitions and data.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #62
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you do upgrade, then I would like to see the before and after copies of the file. That should give an idea of the differences.

I don't think anything in the file has changed in calibre for a long time. The main affect would be if you added a lot of custom columns to calibre as these get put into this file.

And the different firmware versions shouldn't affect the file. It is created by calibre from the list of what it thinks is on the device. So, whatever the driver reads from the database. That part of the driver isn't changing and isn't different for the different firmware versions on the Glo.

Thinking about it, there is one possible reason for a size difference. If you have the options to show recommendations and previews selected, then these will also be recorded in the file. Just after a factory reset, there will be very few recommendations. But, I just did a check. 307 recommendations added about 1MB to the file size. To get to 18MB but that, you would need thousands.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #63
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I seldom sync to Kobo since I never make purchases through my reader. I only shop for ebooks through my PC and then sideload to the reader. My wishlist is even empty since I don't like seeing all the extras. The options for recommendation and previews, do you mean within the Kobo store? or an option somewhere in Calibre? If you mean in the Kobo store, would that increase the metadata.calibre file size?

I have 3 extra columns set up in Calibre for dates read and re-read and which books are on my readers (since I have 6 readers now, I usually keep all the same books on them), and then 2 columns from the page count plugin for pages and words. But how would that create a larger file on the reader, is that info somehow also transferred to metadata.calibre file on the reader?

I just let the reader sync and after downloading dictionaries and then new software, the reader locked up so I had to do a soft reset with a paperclip. Nothing got erased, I deleted the downloaded firmware update (maybe I forgot to change the file, or it reverted, not sure which), and the metadata.calibre is remaining around 2MB.

And it's happily still not giving me any communication errors, Calibre is still deleting and transferring books multiple times during each connection without any glitches.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #64
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I seldom sync to Kobo since I never make purchases through my reader. I only shop for ebooks through my PC and then sideload to the reader. My wishlist is even empty since I don't like seeing all the extras. The options for recommendation and previews, do you mean within the Kobo store? or an option somewhere in Calibre? If you mean in the Kobo store, would that increase the metadata.calibre file size?
The driver configuration has options to show the recommendations in the device list.
Quote:
I have 3 extra columns set up in Calibre for dates read and re-read and which books are on my readers (since I have 6 readers now, I usually keep all the same books on them), and then 2 columns from the page count plugin for pages and words. But how would that create a larger file on the reader, is that info somehow also transferred to metadata.calibre file on the reader?
The calibre.metadata holds an entry for each book in the device. Each entry has all the metadata for the book. For books only on the device, this is what comes out of the database. For books in the calibre library, it will include any custom columns.
Quote:
I just let the reader sync and after downloading dictionaries and then new software, the reader locked up so I had to do a soft reset with a paperclip. Nothing got erased, I deleted the downloaded firmware update (maybe I forgot to change the file, or it reverted, not sure which), and the metadata.calibre is remaining around 2MB.
Its very annoying when that happens.

The last time I checked, the version file gets rewritten each time you power off and on. If you did that before connecting, that would explain it.
Quote:
And it's happily still not giving me any communication errors, Calibre is still deleting and transferring books multiple times during each connection without any glitches.
Now, go and read a book
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #65
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The driver configuration has options to show the recommendations in the device list.

The calibre.metadata holds an entry for each book in the device. Each entry has all the metadata for the book. For books only on the device, this is what comes out of the database. For books in the calibre library, it will include any custom columns.

Its very annoying when that happens.

The last time I checked, the version file gets rewritten each time you power off and on. If you did that before connecting, that would explain it.

Now, go and read a book
I forgot about those settings on the driver configuration. Just to confirm, show archived books, show recommendations, and show previews are all unchecked and always have been.

I can only catch a few pages here and there until the weekend, but then between long periods of reading I just might reinstall 2.5.1 to see if I get that huge file again (which should happen since it did at least 3x that I can recall after full factory resets), just in the hope that it helps someone pin down what the WinXP problem and Kobo readers has been.

But I'm a lot happier with the Glo now that I can connect whenever I want without having to jump through netbook hoops anymore though!
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #66
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
I have commented elsewhere that my connection dropping problems seemed to start when I upgraded beyond 2.40 and that with 2.51 there was a change in the Glo's USB Mass Storage Gadget. I also found that downgrading to 2.40 seemed to solve the problem.

I've upped Calibre to 1.1 and even with 2.81 on the Glo problems are now few and far between (touches wood) even after deleting books from the Glo via Calibre, something that previously was sure to make it throw a wobbly.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #67
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Now, go and read a book
Read a book - I didn't know you could do that, I thought these devices were for playing with and fiddling with settings

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #68
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Read a book - I didn't know you could do that, I thought these devices were for playing with and fiddling with settings

BobC
It does seem that way sometimes, doesn't it?
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #69
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Well another nice effect of downgrading the firmware to 2.4.0 is that page turns seem much improved. I only got a chance to read for about 30 minutes total, but in that time every swipe was a page turn as it should be. My usual is that it can often take up to 4 swipes to finally turn a page and that happens about 50% of the time, enough that I start cursing under my breath while reading.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #70
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Is there anyone using WinXP and AMD that has this problem to know if it's any better or worse with the newest firmware versions of 3?

I still haven't had this problem happen again since downgrading to 2.4.0. I had to do a factory reset only once in that time but it wasn't due to this error at all (and for some reason, downgrading back from 2.10 was very difficult this time around, so I'm more reluctant to load 3 just to experiment). But I've read about a few recent improvements in 3 where I might live with the horrid homepage tiles for them, but not if I can't use Calibre on my main PC again with it.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #71
thorindwarf
Enthusiast
thorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Glo
I'm always using the last version of Calibre with Windows 7 32/64 and 2.10.0 fw, and I get this message from time to time. I have not managed to find the reason yet...
I'm also using CoolReader and KoboLauncher installed on my Glo and don't care much for the Kobo's database. It just bothers me when it happens, because it corrupts the database and I have to copy backed up one or do initial load of my books over an "emptied" database.
thorindwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #72
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
my problem

I had the same problem and I solved:

1. converting the epub to kepub with calible
2. sending the file to the device
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
I had the same problem and I solved:

1. converting the epub to kepub with calible
2. sending the file to the device
If you have to convert to kepub to be able to send to your Kobo, it means you have a serious problem that needs fixing.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-04-2017 at 04:21 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #74
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have to convert to kepub to the. Be able to send to your Kobo, it means you have a serious problem that needs fixing.
What do you mean? I listen
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #75
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think he meant
Quote:
If you have to convert to kepub to be able to send to your Kobo, it means you have a serious problem that needs fixing.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote