Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #31
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle3w_Pdfs View Post
@AnotherCat: I see no reason to suspect Comodo of misbehaving...

...Regarding confidence that Calibre will never contain malware or spyware because of people's experience that it has never contained malware or spyware in the past, I prefer not to trust unnecessarily. I never rely on antivirus' and firewall's whitelists or default settings, for example. Remember, developers who've been good for many years could be subject to bribery or blackmail at any time. Evil developers could cleverly behave well for many years if they're playing a long con, to develop a large user base before beginning any attacks.
It would seem to me that the risk of testing Calibre with Comodo taken out of the picture is near infinitesimal.

But my experience is that people who have the unhealthily distrustful and conspiracy laden attitude to others that you seem to now be expressing, are beyond help. So I'll leave you to YOUR problem.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #32
Kindle3w_Pdfs
Enthusiast
Kindle3w_Pdfs began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
@BetterRed: In case you're still curious, most of my installed Pythons are in subdirectories of apps that bundled them, and the other two were dependencies that weren't bundled with the apps that needed them. Regarding being "close to libelous" I was speaking in general about reasons not to trust any developers. It wasn't a comment about Kovad in particular. Since I have no personal knowledge about Kovad, I have no reason to distrust him (except for his advice not to use antivirus software). But I also have no reason to trust him. Calling me paranoid would be more accurate than calling me libelous... a single malicious developer out of a thousand good ones can ruin one's day. I also don't trust developers of antivirus software, but am betting I'll be better off with antivirus than without it.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #33
Kindle3w_Pdfs
Enthusiast
Kindle3w_Pdfs began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
@BetterRed: "Conspiracy laden?" If you meant the logical possibility that a (financially struggling) developer could be bribed, that was only one among several non-conspiratorial reasons not to be so trusting. You seem to be taking the unusual and extreme position that everyone should be trusted. If that's not your position, then where do you draw the line about who to trust? Where do you draw the line between healthy distrust and unhealthy distrust?
Old 12-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #34
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Time to close this thread.
Closed Thread