Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-27-2018, 08:55 AM   #181
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't use Sierra. I use El Capitan. Anyway, thanks for your help.

I've used a free software named Bird Font, and I've done the job with it. Happy me!
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:10 AM   #182
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyjam View Post
I don't use Sierra. I use El Capitan. Anyway, thanks for your help.
You are welcome. Xquartz would have worked with El Capitan too, but I'm glad you found an alternative
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #183
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

FOR PEOPLE WHO LIKES CHARIS SIL:

…and I know there are many.

Here's Veleka:
https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/veleka

Veleka is complete modification of Charis SIL with more characters, and many bug fixes.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:07 AM   #184
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Here's Veleka:

Veleka is complete modification of Charis SIL with more characters, and many bug fixes.
I've been playing with Veleka on my KA1. The improved support for Greek was the main reason -- one author I've been reading lately has used a lot of Greek quotes in her recent books. Now if it had support for a set of Enochian glyphs and came in a semi-bold version...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:21 AM   #185
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:

Here's Veleka:

It's a pity they don't have weighted version like Chareink, since I don't know how to add weight.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2018, 05:45 AM   #186
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningcat View Post
All the OS system default fonts are shockingly similar...

I think I prefer San Francisco the most, but unfortunately it doesn't work on Kindle...
Of the fonts shown, I would go with Neue Helvetica because of the slightly tighter kerning and the heavier weight.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:50 AM   #187
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuque99 View Post
I used Fontforge to combine Noto Serif's regular, italic, bold and bolditalic font files into a single TTC file. Kindle voyage is able to detect the custom Noto Serif font, but only for the regular type. Italics and bold are not rendered.

Has anyone seen encountered this issue? Perhaps the TTC file has to be created with specific settings to allow Kindle to find the other bold and italic format in that file.
TTC are not supported. That's why it doesn't work. TTC is very unsupported overall and you should not make them.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:02 AM   #188
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Here's Veleka:

There's an issue with Veleka. It doesn't properly work in the font editor I am using. When I go to do a font test, I see a sans-serif font and not Veleka. When I load ChareInk, I get the correct font in the font test.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:03 AM   #189
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
It's a pity they don't have weighted version like Chareink, since I don't know how to add weight.
Use the bold slider in the font menu of your KO2 or PW3.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:16 AM   #190
phuque99
phuque99 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
TTC are not supported. That's why it doesn't work. TTC is very unsupported overall and you should not make them.
I based my usage on the readme file on supporting .ttc extension. But you're totally correct. I tried an available TTC file from OS X (assuming it was created correctly) and Kindle can't render italics.
phuque99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:35 AM   #191
Pyjam
Zealot

Quote:
There's an issue with Veleka. It doesn't properly work in the font editor I am using. When I go to do a font test, I see a sans-serif font and not Veleka. When I load ChareInk, I get the correct font in the font test.
Sorry, but I don't understand how it is an issue for using the font with your Kindle. I'd say it is an issue with your font editor. Maybe because this font has tons of glyphs:

Full Language Support:
Afrikaans, Archaic Greek Letters, Baltic, Basic Cyrillic, Basic Greek, Basic Latin, Catalan, Central European, Chess Symbols, Dutch, Esperanto, Euro, Igbo Onwu, IPA, Latin Ligatures, Pan African Latin, Pinyin, Polytonic Greek, Romanian, Turkish, Vietnamese, Western European.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Veleka.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	907.1 KB
ID:	164699  

Last edited by Pyjam; 06-28-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:35 AM   #192
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Quote:
There's an issue with Veleka. It doesn't properly work in the font editor I am using.
I tried to load Veleka in FontForge and change the weight there. But the whole Style menu is greyed out (as well as all font editing submenus).

I tried to use a python script to do the same, but the result is wrong - some characters have the eye (i.e. the eye in q) filled. And my Kobo is consistently rebooting when trying to use the weighted version of this font.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:04 AM   #193
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
I tried to load Veleka in FontForge and change the weight there. But the whole Style menu is greyed out (as well as all font editing submenus).
FontForge needs to know which character you want to chance. You have to select at least one character, then everything will be selectable in the Style menu
Old 06-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #194
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
FontForge needs to know which character you want to chance. You have to select at least one character, then everything will be selectable in the Style menu
Right, thanks. Still, the font is reported with errors, and I cannot generate the new font files with higher weights.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:46 AM   #195
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
Right, thanks. Still, the font is reported with errors, and I cannot generate the new font files with higher weights.
Well, FontForge usually reports a lot of errors you can ignore. Most of the fonts will do just fine on your ebook reader.

I tried to add some weight to Veleka without problems. I ignored the errors "some fragments did not join" and generated a new ttf with more weight. At a first glance there are no problems on my Oasis with this font, but who knows

If I may ask, why don't you just use the bold option on your kindle?