Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #16
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Can someone explain to me what is Gingerbread, Jellybean, Sangria, Kitkat... and what is up with these names, someone have a snack fetish??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Can someone explain to me what is Gingerbread, Jellybean, Sangria, Kitkat... and what is up with these names, someone have a snack fetish??
It's the name Google gives its Android versions and Amazon has gone with the liquid names in tradition.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-06-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Kindle Fire Android Versions
  • 4th Gen (2014) ---> Android 4.4.4 KitKat ---> Fire OS 4.x Sangria
  • 3rd Gen (2013) ---> Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ---> Fire OS 3.x Mojito
  • 2nd Gen (2012) ---> Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
  • 1st Gen (2011) ----> Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread

I always get Jelly Bean and Ice Cream Sandwich mixed up. I am so excited about getting KitKat for our HD2s as Immersion mode is just awesome!
Old 10-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #19
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

I always get Jelly Bean and Ice Cream Sandwich mixed up. I am so excited about getting KitKat for our HD2s as Immersion mode is just awesome!
Blossom, is it normal for Android devices to get O/S updates like this? It sounds like a really good freebie. I also have the HD2.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Yes but 2013 has a totally different operating system than the 2012 model. This will be the first time Amazon has upgraded a previous year model to another O/S. We are not getting just new features we are getting a whole new operating system. It's like going from JellyBean to KitKat if you own a Nexus 7.
This is what Amazon should've done with the 2012 models. They have the necessary hardware to go from Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3) to Jelly Bean (4.2.2).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Google names their OS versions after desserts and Amazon after mixed drinks. KitKat is easier to say than Android 4.4.4. See that chart I posted above on the different versions Fire tablets are running.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
Blossom, is it normal for Android devices to get O/S updates like this? It sounds like a really good freebie. I also have the HD2.

Dean
Google regularly updates their devices to newer versions. Like the 2012 Nexus 7 is running the latest Android KitKat just like the Nexus 7 2013 is. Amazon has never done it till now. Other tablets I think it varies by the company if you get an upgrade like this.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
This is what Amazon should've done with the 2012 models. They have the necessary hardware to go from Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3) to Jelly Bean (4.2.2).
I agree although maybe it was the difference in features like the 2012 uses favorites menu and 2013 versions has collections instead. Maybe they were worry that people would get upset to lose some of the features or maybe they just were trying to make more money.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:

Are the 2nd gen Fire HDs getting the bump from Jelly Bean to KitKat?

If so, I'd like to know why Amazon doesn't bump the 1st gen HDs from Ice Cream to KitKat. After all, both gens have the same hardware (dual-core TI OMAP 4 with 1.0 GB RAM).
Old 10-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I agree although maybe it was the difference in features like the 2012 uses favorites menu and 2013 versions has collections instead. Maybe they were worry that people would get upset to lose some of the features or maybe they just were trying to make more money.
Amazon obsoletes its upgrade path far faster than anyone else. Apple gives you 2-3 major OS upgrades before stopping. The 2nd gen Nexus 7 shipped with Jelly Bean and upgraded to KitKat. With Amazon, you get what it ships with and that's it. They need to follow Apple's example.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-06-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:

If so, I'd like to know why Amazon doesn't bump the 1st gen HDs from Ice Cream to KitKat. After all, both gens have the same hardware (dual-core TI OMAP 4 with 1.0 GB RAM).
Yep! We are getting Sangria.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Yep! We are getting Sangria.
And my 1st gen HD 7 won't get it - not fair

This is why I never pay full price for Amazon tablets. I wait until they have a big sale or go on clearance before getting one.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #28
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:

lol, they better not, I will be quite ticked since I just traded in my 2012...
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #29
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Did anyone notice the teaser phrase "an all-new visual design" in the first paragraph? An alternative/replacement for the carousel? A new home screen?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Did anyone notice the teaser phrase "an all-new visual design" in the first paragraph? An alternative/replacement for the carousel? A new home screen?
I did but I'll believe it when I see last time they said it all they did was rearrange the menus.