Notices

Old 06-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
vlbrown
Member Retired
vlbrown began at the beginning.

Device: Mac
Converting Edited Book

I'm confused.

I edited the AZW. But when I then convert to PDF, Calibre doesn't seem to be converting the edited version.

I'm trying to get rid of massive amounts of extraneous whitespace (re-flow the document). I can;t reflow the PDF. I can edit and merge files in the AZW and EPub but if those aren't used to create the PDF...

Help?
vlbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlbrown View Post
I'm confused.

I edited the AZW. But when I then convert to PDF, Calibre doesn't seem to be converting the edited version.

I'm trying to get rid of massive amounts of extraneous whitespace (re-flow the document). I can;t reflow the PDF. I can edit and merge files in the AZW and EPub but if those aren't used to create the PDF...

Help?
When you convert, be sure it uses AZW3 and not Original_AZW3

(same goes for EPUB)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2014, 12:41 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The ORIGINAL_AZW3 will be created any time you do an AZW3-to-AZW3 conversion, or use Polish Book/Modify EPUB.

Same goes for EPUB, of course.

(If you are using Edit Book, it won't create ORIGINAL_FMT backups. But you may have also done conversions.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:47 AM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
When you convert, be sure it uses AZW3 and not Original_AZW3

(same goes for EPUB)
Is there a way to do this on a case-by-case basis?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Is there a way to do this on a case-by-case basis?
When you do a Single (title) conversion, there is a pull_down on the Upper Left to choose the SOURCE format. You don't get the choice when doing bulk (many titles selected) conversions
Advert
Old 06-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
When you do a Single (title) conversion, there is a pull_down on the Upper Left to choose the SOURCE format. You don't get the choice when doing bulk (many titles selected) conversions
You are not offered the ORIGINAL_FMT vs FMT formats in the conversion dialog, even the individual one. That will let you choose EPUB over AZW3, but conversion IIRC will always use ORIGINAL_FMT if available.

You can fix this by deleting the ORIGINAL_FMT. There is no other way IIRC.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You are not offered the ORIGINAL_FMT vs FMT formats in the conversion dialog, even the individual one. That will let you choose EPUB over AZW3, but conversion IIRC will always use ORIGINAL_FMT if available.

You can fix this by deleting the ORIGINAL_FMT. There is no other way IIRC.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
if this issue can confuse theducks what hope for us mortals

The save_original_format tweak offers this explanation for why the ORIGINAL_xxxx files are created

Quote:
When calibre does a conversion from the same format to the same format, for example, from EPUB to EPUB, the original file is saved, so that in case the conversion is poor, you can tweak the settings and run it again.

By setting this to False you can prevent calibre from saving the original file.

Similarly, by setting save_original_format_when_polishing to False you can prevent calibre from saving the original file when polishing.
Given that is the developers rationale for creating the ORIGINAL_xxxx files, surely it follows that once a satisfactory conversion/polish is obtained one ought to remove the ORIGINAL_xxxx format file. My impression is that confusion arises when they're left lying around.

FWIW I have both flags set to False. I prefer to address the issue of securing and recovering 'last known good' ebook format files myself.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-03-2014 at 06:39 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
if this issue can confuse theducks what hope for us mortals

The save_original_format tweak offers this explanation for why the ORIGINAL_xxxx files are created

Given that is the developers rationale for creating the ORIGINAL_xxxx files, surely it follows that once a satisfactory conversion/polish is obtained one ought to remove the ORIGINAL_xxxx format file. My impression is that confusion arises when they're left lying around.

FWIW I have both flags set to False. I prefer to address the issue of securing and recovering 'last known good' ebook format files myself.

BR
Thanks
I don't understand the rational on using Original_X for any purpose EXCEPT when things went south during an operation on that file when it was king.

In my mind Original =BAK (and if it exists, it is never replaced. You would need to first delete that so a new one might be created)

all operations should use the CURRENT version, not a backup (excep the one that 'Restore X from original' )

Tags
pdf, reflow