Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #16
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Does StarDict Editor generate a txt file?
I'm not sure if StarDict Editor is doing what it's supposed to...
I change the the *dict extension to *txt by hand an then, in my command line I type:

c:\
c:\cd Python25
c:\tab2opf.py dictionary.txt

I get a syntax error message.

No OPF file gets generated.

Boy, oh boy...!
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdiogo View Post
Does StarDict Editor generate a txt file?
Yes. Decompile the dict.ifo file and you should get a dict.txt file. For me, it ended up in the same directory as stardict-editor.exe. Any plain text editor can be used to confirm that it is a tab delimited file (a <tab> between the word and its definition).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #18
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes. Decompile the dict.ifo file and you should get a dict.txt file. For me, it ended up in the same directory as stardict-editor.exe. Any plain text editor can be used to confirm that it is a tab delimited file (a <tab> between the word and its definition).
Thanks. I got the file. It has lots of </k>\ tags in it. Is that normal?

About the py thing... any help?
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:53 AM   #19
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
How to merge two dictionarys during conversion? Have anybody tried it?
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #20
gravity404
gravity404 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket PC
Chinese Mobipocket Dictonary for Windows Mobile Based Phones and Pocket PC's (PPC)

Thank you for all your posts and help! I did it! I created a Windows Mobile Based Mobipocket English to Chinese Dictionary. Feel free to download it and give feedback:

http://gravity404.googlepages.com/

Thanks again for all the good posts!
gravity404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #21
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosim View Post
I followed your step in winXP.

installed stardict3.0, installed GTK2 Runtime, downloaded dictionary files, extracted with 7zip, run stardict editor.

after I select *.dict.dz file, It verifies. BUT If I select decompile, it says

Building...
Error, file version is not 2.4.2
Done!

What does it mean?
I'm having exactly the same issue. "Error, file version is not 2.4.2" is displayed. In my .ifo file it says it's 3.0.0 version. What do I do? .dict is uncompressed.

EDIT: It seems the reason was that my .ifo file had charset which was incompatible with StarDict Editor.

Last edited by owl123; 11-29-2008 at 11:45 AM.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #22
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by moontaxi View Post
drago, wagnerian, ericshliao, pointboom

can any of you, who succeed this work, convert babylon files using dictconv and make a mobipocket dictionary for me? i'm running windows xp and linux is the only system that i can convert babylon files.

this is the link for dictconv (to convert babylon to stardict format)
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Educa...nv-23446.shtml

i uploaded 5 babylon dictionaries here: (3,64mb)
http://rapidshare.com/files/108999822/Babylon.rar.html

i'll be glad.
Here are Babylon dictionaries that are already converted to StarDict: http://reciteword.sourceforge.net/stardict/babylon.php. Decompile them with StarDict Editor (to .txt) and then use tab2opf.py python script. It'll take you a minute.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:47 AM   #23
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Ok, I feel quite stupid now
I have downloaded the stardict dictionary files (*.dz, *.idx, and *.ifo) and extracted the *.dict from the *.dz file in the same directory. But here I am stuck. Trying to use the stardict-editor, I always get the same error message:
Building...
Done!

Could one of you give me a step by step instruction of what to do next? I really would appreciate it!
Thanks,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:41 AM   #24
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
IIRC, you should have a GTK+ for MS Windows installed to use the editor. I may be wrong, because it's been sometime since I did that conversion.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:59 AM   #25
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
I have it installed. when I try to convert the file, it now says: no tab in line 1, no tab in line 2, etc...

thanks for your help,

kaas

p.s.: I can start the editor successfully, the next steps aren't clear to me.
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #26
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer
arvsinha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I cannot make the python script work.
arvsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #27
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaas View Post
Ok, I feel quite stupid now
I have downloaded the stardict dictionary files (*.dz, *.idx, and *.ifo) and extracted the *.dict from the *.dz file in the same directory. But here I am stuck. Trying to use the stardict-editor, I always get the same error message:
Building...
Done!

Could one of you give me a step by step instruction of what to do next? I really would appreciate it!
Thanks,

kaas
First download the stardict file. Extract using winrar.
There is a file by the name of ***.dict.dz
rename this file to ***.dict.gz
Download 7 zip software and extract this file - You shall get ***.dict file.
Now fire up the stardict-editor -
You basically get three tabs when it open viz Compile, Decompile and edit
The Decompile tab is what we are interested in.
Go the decompile tab and click browse - Choose the ***.ifo file - Not the dict file ) and click decompile.
This would lead to creation of text file ***.txt
Use tab2opf.py script to convert this txt file into opf.
This should lead to creation of multiple html files and opf file.
Use mobigen.exe to convert it to a dictionary.
Hope this helps.
I Managed.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #28
mlvpf
mlvpf began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvsinha View Post
First download the stardict file. Extract using winrar.
There is a file by the name of ***.dict.dz
rename this file to ***.dict.gz
Download 7 zip software and extract this file - You shall get ***.dict file.
Now fire up the stardict-editor -
You basically get three tabs when it open viz Compile, Decompile and edit
The Decompile tab is what we are interested in.
Go the decompile tab and click browse - Choose the ***.ifo file - Not the dict file ) and click decompile.
This would lead to creation of text file ***.txt
Use tab2opf.py script to convert this txt file into opf.
This should lead to creation of multiple html files and opf file.
Use mobigen.exe to convert it to a dictionary.
Hope this helps.
I Managed.
Thanks, arvsinha. I followed ur instructions and produced the txt file but could not proceed using the the tab2opf.py script to convert the txt file. Can you (or anybody) please give step-by-step instruction or assist by ulpoading ready made script with instruction. I'm not knowledgeable in programming.
mlvpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #29
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlvpf View Post
Thanks, arvsinha. I followed ur instructions and produced the txt file but could not proceed using the the tab2opf.py script to convert the txt file.
See Visual Kindle Guide for instructions on how to install Python (KindlePID) and run a similar python script (KindlePID). I would not bother adding a python directory to your "path", but rather I suggest copying tab2opf.py (and mobigen.exe) to the directory containing the dictionary. Then the command tab2opf from a command window that has been "cd"-ed to this directory should give you a usage message (to tell you what arguments to use). Or perhaps arvsinha can post the actual command lines for tab2opf and mobigen.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #30
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlvpf View Post
Thanks, arvsinha. I followed ur instructions and produced the txt file but could not proceed using the the tab2opf.py script to convert the txt file. Can you (or anybody) please give step-by-step instruction or assist by ulpoading ready made script with instruction. I'm not knowledgeable in programming.
Once you have the txt file in the folder. Now, get tab2opf.py and Mobigen.exe into the same folder.
Now fire up the command line interface of Windows XP - Go to start > Run > cmd
Change directory to the folder containing the file (all files namely - tab2opf, text file of the dictionary and mobigen) - using the cd command.
Then give the following command -
tab2opf textfile.txt
This should give you a textfile.opf file.
Now in the same command prompt, give the following command - mobigen.exe textfile.opf
Hopefully this should give the mobipocket book file.

Tags
ebook tools, kindle tools