Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 11-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Please Use More Modern Kindle Formats

Could I, as a humble ebook reader, venture to request that the current kindle library on mobileread change to include more modern kindle ebook formats, especially ones where I can use custom fonts?

So instead of mobi, maybe AZW3?

Kindle books downloaded from mobileread won't allow the use of any custom fonts, which is such a shame. Of course, after all your hard work, if you prefer us humble readers to see the book in all your beautifully formatted glory, there's always the option of Defaut Font.

Thanks so much for all your hard work.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:54 AM   #2
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Already doing it, BookCat, both azw3 and mobi in the Kindle forum. However, my only method of creating these files is through Calibre conversion from my HTML. I'm not tech savvy enough to manage anything more complex.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Could I, as a humble ebook reader, venture to request that the current kindle library on mobileread change to include more modern kindle ebook formats, especially ones where I can use custom fonts?

So instead of mobi, maybe AZW3?

Kindle books downloaded from mobileread won't allow the use of any custom fonts, which is such a shame. Of course, after all your hard work, if you prefer us humble readers to see the book in all your beautifully formatted glory, there's always the option of Defaut Font.

Thanks so much for all your hard work.
Are you a Calibre user? If so, you can convert the mobi to azw3 yourself with Calibre then help others by attaching the azw3 to a message in the thread where the mobi is posted. Over time the entire mobi library could be converted with no one person having to do that much work and the mobi would continue to be available to those that can not use azw3.

Somewhat better would be to start with the epub version and convert that to azw3.

Last edited by j.p.s; 11-17-2018 at 12:22 PM.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The disadvantage of AZW3 is of course that such books can't be uploaded to the Cloud for syncing between devices, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:03 PM   #5
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@BookCat---
A problem is that older books in the library, and "old mobi" books often don't have any pretty formatting. Very often they don't have even "curly" quotes or italics. "Old MOBI" has no embedded fonts, no drop-caps, etc.

But, if the book has an epub version with that good formatting, it really is very easy to convert to AZW3 using Calibre. (Of course, as HarryT notes, you lose the syncing feature.)

If there are any particular titles you have in mind that have a "pretty" epub, pm me, and we can discuss the conversion process.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the wonderful responses. Sorry for my late reply but fell out of love with my kindle since losing all my annotations and highlights (I'll ask about this in the kindle dept.)

The next time I'm looking for a specific classic, I'll take a look at the epub versions and try converting to AZW3. If it the conversion looks okay, I'll find some way to upload this to the library.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:20 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can't upload an AZW3 file to the Cloud. If you want to upload it, create a "dual Mobi"; this contains both Mobi7 and KF8 versions of the book, and can be uploaded. You can of course transfer AZW3 files to the Kindle via USB; that's how all my books are transferred to my Kindle.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #8
BookCat
C L J

I don't have wifi, so transfer all books via usb. If I was thinking of converting an epub for those who use the cloud, which would also still work perfectly well for side-loaders, which format would you recommend?

Now that kindles can use a greater range of fonts, it seems sensible to use a format compatible with this function.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I don't have wifi, so transfer all books via usb. If I was thinking of converting an epub for those who use the cloud, which would also still work perfectly well for side-loaders, which format would you recommend?
There is no one format which is optimal for all situations.

A Mobi7 book is compact and can be sent to the Cloud, but doesn't support new features.

A dual Mobi is twice the size of a Mobi 7 or AZW3 book, but can be uploaded to the Cloud. Hence not ideal for side-loading if you want to maximise the number of books you can fit on your Kindle (which is not a concern for many, of course).

An AZW3 is compact and supports all the whizzy new features, but can't be sent to the Cloud.

Your choice .
Old 11-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I do wish that Amazon would accept AZW3 (and ePub!) sent to the cloud. It's not a technical problem...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I do wish that Amazon would accept AZW3 (and ePub!) sent to the cloud. It's not a technical problem...
They do actually accept ePub, although it's not documented. You need to rename the ePub file to some other extension that they allow, such as ".png". It'll then be auto-converted.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #12
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
@BookCat---
A problem is that older books in the library, and "old mobi" books often don't have any pretty formatting. Very often they don't have even "curly" quotes or italics. "Old MOBI" has no embedded fonts, no drop-caps, etc.

But, if the book has an epub version with that good formatting, it really is very easy to convert to AZW3 using Calibre. (Of course, as HarryT notes, you lose the syncing feature.)

If there are any particular titles you have in mind that have a "pretty" epub, pm me, and we can discuss the conversion process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #13
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post

Sorry about that, somehow accidentally sent empty post while just reading thread.

graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:59 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can't upload an AZW3 file to the Cloud. If you want to upload it, create a "dual Mobi"; this contains both Mobi7 and KF8 versions of the book, and can be uploaded. You can of course transfer AZW3 files to the Kindle via USB; that's how all my books are transferred to my Kindle.
If you upload dual Mobi to cloud, does it actually send AZW3/KF8 to the Kindle? Because I seem to recall testing a dual Mobi file (created with kindlegen, uploaded using Send to Kindle for PC) and the version downloaded to my PW3 from Amazon Cloud was just plain Mobi.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:27 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If you upload dual Mobi to cloud, does it actually send AZW3/KF8 to the Kindle? Because I seem to recall testing a dual Mobi file (created with kindlegen, uploaded using Send to Kindle for PC) and the version downloaded to my PW3 from Amazon Cloud was just plain Mobi.
Both formats are stored in the Cloud, and then the appropriate single format downloaded to a device requesting the book, depending on its capabilities. If a device which supports KF8 requests the book, it should be sent the KF8 version.