Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #27691
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Finished Stirred by J. A. Konrath and Blake Crouch. I really did expect one of the main characters to die... it was suspenseful throughout.

I have started another non-fic: Empires of the Word: A Language History of the World by Nicholas Ostler.

LOVED Empires of the Word ! I've got two others of his Passwords to Paradise and The Last Lingua Franca on my summer reading list.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #27692
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Artemis was a quick, entertaining read. Now starting The Void Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #27693
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I got the new Paperwhite this weekend and "christened" it with Fools and Mortals by Bernard Cornwell. I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm such a Tudor period/Shakespearean fangirl and Cornwell is a good writer.

The main character is a younger brother of Shakespeare who followed his brother to London and is aging out of playing female roles and really wanting to play a male role. His brother, in the way of older brothers, is pretty mean to him.
I've read that, it was really good!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #27694
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I just started Brandon Sanderson's new book, Skyward.
Ooh, how is it? Got my eye on that one!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #27695
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I thought it was fun. Definitely the start of a series though; there was some resolution but...
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #27696
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I thought it was fun. Definitely the start of a series though; there was some resolution but...
Haven't really got into it yet. Might save it for awhile, I don't know. Need a good mystery/thriller rather than a sci-fi.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #27697
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Haven't really got into it yet. Didn't read much this week and I think I'm in the mood for a good mystery/thriller rather than sci-fi. I'm sure it's good, but I'm just having trouble with anything sci-fi/fantasy lately.

I'm gonna go with The Death of Mrs Westaway for Ruth Ware. I liked all her other books so this one should be good.

Last edited by PurpleStar; 11-16-2018 at 11:45 AM.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #27698
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
LOVED Empires of the Word ! I've got two others of his Passwords to Paradise and The Last Lingua Franca on my summer reading list.
I am enjoying it, though I kind of wish there were some sort of interactive map I could use while reading.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:26 AM   #27699
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

I'm currently wading through The White Dragon, one of the Pern series I hadn't read. Halfway and it's hard work with such a thoroughly unlikeable lead. Jaxom is a whiny entitled selfish brat. If I didn't need to finish the story to fill in gaps my antipathy to the "hero" would see me drop the book
Old 11-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #27700
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just started Caught by Lisa Moore. Touted as a bit of a literary thriller/adventure (Giller Prize shortlist). It shadows a drug-smuggler on his getaway from a Maritime prison to Western Canada. She has a different writing style, but it's far too early to decide if I find it clever or annoying. Time will tell, I guess.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #27701
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I'm currently wading through The White Dragon, one of the Pern series I hadn't read. Halfway and it's hard work with such a thoroughly unlikeable lead. Jaxom is a whiny entitled selfish brat. If I didn't need to finish the story to fill in gaps my antipathy to the "hero" would see me drop the book
Hm, I always liked young Jaxom

The end of a Calculating God made me wonder if there was a second book in the series, but as I couldn't find one, I settled on End of an Era, also by Sawyer. I really need to find another good series of books, I lose too much time by searching for a new book this way!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #27702
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I've paused about a quarter of the way through Empires of the Word: A Language History of the World; fascinating as it is (and I've already picked up a couple tidbits for an ongoing project), it does drag on a bit, so I picked up Mortal Engines, so I can have read it before the movie comes out.

It's a pretty quick read, and then I'll be immersed in the world's oldest languages once again.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #27703
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

I'm a third of the way through Buss's translation of The Count of Monte Cristo and I am delighted at how I am just as gripped on this re-read as I was the firs time. Still just as hard to make myself put down the Kobo at 1AM and go to bed
Old 11-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #27704
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've also started and finished Grantville Gazette #80 and Paddington Helps Out

Both were excellent, in their different ways.
Finally finished Asimov's SF. Good as usual, it's just annoying that I can't read it easily on Kindle for PC.

Then I read Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin. It's the first in his Inspector Rebus series. A bit average. But I'll continue with the series because I like Edinburgh, and it's supposed to get a lot better.

Now reading: F&SF Nov/Dec2018 edited by C. C. Finlay. Good so far, and when I'm finished I'll up-to-date with my subscriptions.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #27705
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm a third of the way through Buss's translation of The Count of Monte Cristo and I am delighted at how I am just as gripped on this re-read as I was the firs time. Still just as hard to make myself put down the Kobo at 1AM and go to bed
A great novel and a great translation. So much better than the 1840's public domain translation that's still the one that most editions use!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote