Old 11-17-2018, 05:57 AM   #1
nikoski
Zealot
nikoski began at the beginning.

Device: none
[solved] wireless connection to calibre blocked by firewall when PC on WiFi

notebook on win10
firewall: windows firewall control

CC connects to calibre by "wireless connection".

When the notebook connected by cable on LAN: all is ok.

When the notebook connected by WiFi: CC cannot find calibre.
- when "windows firewall control" disabled: CC does find calibre and all is ok.

Any idea which (incoming?) rule of the WFC blocks CC finding calibre?

Last edited by nikoski; 11-18-2018 at 03:31 AM.
nikoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:25 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My guess is that the WiFi connection uses a different internal Windows Network and that its "location" is "public" instead of "private".

Our FAQ How do I setup Calibre Companion to connect to calibre? provides a lot of troubleshooting information.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:22 AM   #3
nikoski
Zealot
nikoski began at the beginning.

Device: none
Solved, thanks a lot for your valuable hint about the FAQ and especially the firewall there!

Yes, my wifi was "public", but still, changing to private did not solve the issue.

My windows firewall control 5.3 needs apparently 2 rules for a program like calibre: one for "out" and another one for "in" connections. It does not seem to allow a rule to be set for both.

And i did not notice that the rule set already was only an "outgoing" one. So i had to set another one for the "incoming" connections and after that the issue was solved instantly.

But what's pretty strange about that: why is that incoming rule not necessary on the cable-LAN but only on wifi?

Last edited by nikoski; 11-18-2018 at 03:29 AM.
nikoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoski View Post
[B]
But what's pretty strange about that: why is that incoming rule not necessary on the cable-LAN but only on wifi?
Not really.
With a wired network, things are pretty much controlled about WHO is on it.
For WiFi, anyone in range can sniff and spoof a permitted connection.
My laptop rejects Peer connections.
My Access point (I don't use the routers WiFi), was set to block WiFi to WiFi connections. In my case, this is fine as all my 'server' or host type devices are wired. (call me paranoid. There are a dozen WiFi's seen by my TAB A in my residential house) If it CAN be wired, it is.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote