Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-24-2024, 05:45 AM   #1
rrr
rrr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo Libra 2 questions

Kobo Libra 2 questions

I have an old Kindle paperwhite 2 bought in 2013 so 11 years old.
The battery is on its last legs and I cannot change it.

I'm considering a Kobo Libra 2.
It's rather expensive but would be an escape from Amazon control.

1. Is it a good choice?
2. Can I change the battery?
3. Can I use it without registering it with the Kobo company?
(because I just want to use it to read the epubs in my Calibre library rather than buy books from Kobo.
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 06:19 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
1. Yep
3. Yep, you can enable the sideloaded mode in the configuration file (just add a line there in a text editor, really easy)

Sorry, no idea about the battery
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2024, 06:21 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
Kobo Libra 2 questions

I have an old Kindle paperwhite 2 bought in 2013 so 11 years old.
The battery is on its last legs and I cannot change it.

I'm considering a Kobo Libra 2.
It's rather expensive but would be an escape from Amazon control.

1. Is it a good choice?
2. Can I change the battery?
3. Can I use it without registering it with the Kobo company?
(because I just want to use it to read the epubs in my Calibre library rather than buy books from Kobo.
1. A Kobo Libra 2 is a good choice
2. Maybe
3. You are better off to register. I've had an account with Kobo for maybe 10 years or so and I've never once had a problem. It's just paranoia to not properly register. There's no harm. Kobo takes privacy very seriously.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 08:35 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
3. You are better off to register. I've had an account with Kobo for maybe 10 years or so and I've never once had a problem. It's just paranoia to not properly register. There's no harm. Kobo takes privacy very seriously.
Why would one be better off with registering? Especially if they don't even have a Kobo account and buy their books elsewhere. There's no harm in not registering either, as there's an easy way to use your Kobo without registering now.

My Kobos are registered, but then I already had the Kobo account before getting them, so it was just easier to register (and there was no sideloaded mode then anyway). For those who have no Kobo account, it'll sure be easier to enable the sideloaded mode.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:31 AM   #5
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
When I bought mine the sideload mode didn't exist, but it's also possible to "register" with a fake e-mail address.

The sideload mode method is better though and something I have activated anyway as it keeps the UI cleaner.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2024, 11:03 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
When I bought mine the sideload mode didn't exist, but it's also possible to "register" with a fake e-mail address.

The sideload mode method is better though and something I have activated anyway as it keeps the UI cleaner.
Yes to both of those. I do buy ebooks from Kobo, but my Sage is in SideloadedMode=true. All books from any source (PD or bought) are on Calibre and backed up.

Also you don't need a payment method. Amazon requires that the Amazon account needs a payment method, though sending the email a gift voucher used to work (entered on Kindle instead of Debit or Credit Card) (but only bought on US marketplace and then the Kindle with no Address would only work for buying ebooks off the US Store, but later they insisted on a real US address to use Kindle store).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 11:55 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Why would one be better off with registering? Especially if they don't even have a Kobo account and buy their books elsewhere. There's no harm in not registering either, as there's an easy way to use your Kobo without registering now.

My Kobos are registered, but then I already had the Kobo account before getting them, so it was just easier to register (and there was no sideloaded mode then anyway). For those who have no Kobo account, it'll sure be easier to enable the sideloaded mode.
Because you get a Kobo account and you get to use Overdrive if you want and you get all the features of being registered. Sideload is not official so if Kobo was to make it not work, you'd have to register.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:13 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Because you get a Kobo account and you get to use Overdrive if you want and you get all the features of being registered. Sideload is not official so if Kobo was to make it not work, you'd have to register.
Overdrive is only available in a few countries. We don't know if it's available for the OP or if they even want to borrow books from library.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:33 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Overdrive is only available in a few countries. We don't know if it's available for the OP or if they even want to borrow books from library.
And let's not forget the OP:

Quote:
... (because I just want to use it to read the epubs in my Calibre library rather than buy books from Kobo.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 12:49 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
Where do you buy your eBooks?
Old 03-24-2024, 12:55 PM   #11
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Quote:
Where do you buy your eBooks?
Nunya Bidnezz.

It isn't germane to the question and doesn't help troubleshoot the issue at hand.
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 01:48 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy View Post
Nunya Bidnezz.

It isn't germane to the question and doesn't help troubleshoot the issue at hand.
I'm wondering why the OP doesn't want to buy any eBooks from Kobo.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:14 PM   #13
Dibbler
Enthusiast
Dibbler began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Kobo Aura One and Clara 2E
Quote:
I'm wondering why the OP doesn't want to buy any eBooks from Kobo.
The OP covered that in their post, they already have a collection within the Calibre library
Dibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 02:17 PM   #14
Dibbler
Enthusiast
Dibbler began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Kobo Aura One and Clara 2E
My wife loves her Libra 2. The size and quality of the screen, as well as the hard buttons.

My Aura One and Clara 2e have excellent screens, the Libra 2 is up there in terms of clarity and features.

Great choice.

Last edited by Dibbler; 03-24-2024 at 02:20 PM.
Dibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 04:52 PM   #15
rrr
rrr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Received kobo libra 2 today.
BUT I can't get it working!
I held the power button for about a minute until it came on.
Then it wants me to "activate".
I don't have a smartphone - so i elected to sign in with kobo.
It asked for email address and password.
But it would not accept a password I typed in.
Neither did it supply one.
What can I do to get this kobo working?
With or without an account.
I'd rather not have one - but will if I must.
In case it's relevant, I use linux, not windows or mac.
I can install windows if I must.
What are the very first steps?
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote