Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-02-2021, 02:12 AM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Instructions for patching firmware 4.30.18838

This patch thread is for firmware 4.30.18838 (9bb7fadc7957c5d84830bf31a1bf80e0f03f004f):

Instructions for patching on Windows, Linux, or macOS with kobopatch:
  1. Download the Kobo firmware release
    You can find the download links here here.
  2. Download and extract the patch zip
    Download and unzip kobopatch_4.30.18838.zip from here.
  3. Copy the firmware file to the src folder
    Copy the original firmware you just downloaded into the kobopatch src folder.
  4. Install the firmware if needed
    Install the firmware on your kobo BEFORE proceeding with the next steps. You can do this by extracting the contents of the firmware zip into the .kobo folder and ejecting.
  5. Choose your patches from the files in the src folder
    Enable patches in the files in the src folder (or use the overrides in kobopatch.yaml to keep your options separate).
  6. Run kobopatch
    Double-click kobopatch.bat on Windows, or run ./kobopatch.sh on Linux or macOS. On macOS, you can drag it into the terminal and press enter (you may need to go to System Preferences - Security and Privacy - General to confirm that you actually want to run it).
  7. Install the patches by copying KoboRoot.tgz into the .kobo folder of your device
    If the patching succeeded, a file named KoboRoot.tgz will be created in the out folder. Copy it to the .kobo folder of your device. Safely remove your device once you are finished. On Linux, you may have to press Ctrl+H to show the .kobo folder.
Download
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:12 AM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Changes to the kobopatch zip:
v74 (2022-01-21): Improved "Unify font sizes" values (sherman), minor improvements to patch comments and descriptions (jackie_w, nkakouros).
v73 (2021-11-02): Initial release for 4.30.18838.

Missing patches:
- None!

New patches in this version:
- sherman: Unify font sizes (mostly replaces "ePub uniform font scale", fixes the font scaling in EPUBs to not be absurdly large on some devices and to be consistent with KEPUBs)

Last edited by geek1011; 01-21-2022 at 12:48 AM.
Advert
Old 11-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #3
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Installed on my Elipsa and Sage, Thank you for getting the patches out, and so fast!
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:48 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post

- sherman: Unify font sizes (mostly replaces "ePub uniform font scale", fixes the font scaling in EPUBs to not be absurdly large on some devices and to be consistent with KEPUBs)
Is this reducing the size for ePub to match KePub? If it is, would it be possible to make KePub match ePub? The problem is that KePub is too small and for those that need a large font size, the KePub scaling may not be good enough.

Thanks for getting the patches out so quickly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:53 PM   #5
UCCU666
Enthusiast
UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma/Elipsa/Clara 2E/Libra 2, mooInk Plus 2, Pubook Pro 10.3
is it possible to force bluetooth connection on ? (there is only force Wi-Fi on in the devmodeon)

the problem in latest official firmware 4.30.18838
Quote:
I had trouble with my bluetooth Page-turner on Kobo e-reader (Elipsa).

it auto turns off bluetooth connection frequently if i dont keep using the Page-turner.
bluetooth is turned off approximately 25~30 second after i turn the page.
i hope there is a patches for this
UCCU666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2021, 04:08 PM   #6
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hi, thanks for the super fast update!

Unfortunately, InvertScreen still does not work.

I updated my Kobo Forma to 4.30, then downloaded and updated my favorite patches, applied the KoboRoot.gz file and rebooted.

All of the applied patches are working just fine, except from the InvertScreen.

Same as on 4.28, in flashes once, then get back to white background, black text (even after reboot as suggested in the .yalm file, reload of the reader app, etc...).

Any idea, replacing InvertScreen by DarkMode? For now, back to 4.26.16704.

Thanks,

Last edited by Anghirrim; 11-02-2021 at 04:18 PM.
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:16 PM   #7
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is this reducing the size for ePub to match KePub? If it is, would it be possible to make KePub match ePub? The problem is that KePub is too small and for those that need a large font size, the KePub scaling may not be good enough.
Jon, have you actually tried seeing how large kepub gets? I have, and believe me, the font size gets far larger than anyone would ever want to use. I don't think that's much of a problem.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:20 PM   #8
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Jon, have you actually tried seeing how large kepub gets? I have, and believe me, the font size gets far larger than anyone would ever want to use. I don't think that's much of a problem.
Plus, if absolutely needed, this should be done via a variant of "Custom font sizes" rather than messing with the font scale. The point of the font scale patches were mostly to make things match up properly (and since 18220, also to fix the gigantic minimum-sized EPUB fonts on some devices due to double-scaling), not for general-purpose scaling.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:00 PM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post

I was curious about this patch, so decided to try it, and it worked exactly as I feared it might. I bought a book using my Kobo Super Points last week and the kepub font is TINY, probably 3-4 pt. The sideloaded epub copy otoh is just fine, a normal, readable size. After applying this patch both copies are indeed the same size - probably 3-4 pt.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:25 PM   #10
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
@sherman

Tested on Clara. kepub and epub of different sizes. Does it make sense to try other multipliers or have you already checked it?
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:31 PM   #11
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
@sherman

Tested on Clara. kepub and epub of different sizes. Does it make sense to try other multipliers or have you already checked it?
Are you sure of this, @geek1011 says he tested on a Clara HD, and I tested on a Glo, Libra H2O and Forma.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:32 PM   #12
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I was curious about this patch, so decided to try it, and it worked exactly as I feared it might. I bought a book using my Kobo Super Points last week and the kepub font is TINY, probably 3-4 pt. The sideloaded epub copy otoh is just fine, a normal, readable size. After applying this patch both copies are indeed the same size - probably 3-4 pt.
So the patch is doing what it says on the tin then
Old 11-02-2021, 08:40 PM   #13
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Are you sure of this
The number of lines is different - 25 epub lines, 26 - kepub. Yes, I'm sure.
Although... maybe it depends on other patches...

Last edited by Semwize; 11-02-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:44 PM   #14
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
So the patch is doing what it says on the tin then
Indeed, that it had the result I expected is testament that my confidence in the efficacy of your work was not unfounded
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:09 PM   #15
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
The number of lines is different - 25 epub lines, 26 - kepub. Yes, I'm sure.
Although... maybe it depends on other patches...
It also depends on margins, widows/orphans etc.

Also, I don't think I managed to get it exactly equal between epub/kepub. Feel free to play with the scale factor and multiplier if you like. For example instead of 1.0 and 6.5, you could try 2.0 and 12.5 for a similar result.

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching