Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-29-2021, 11:37 PM   #31
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Most likely, you are using your own font. Change for example on Georgia and see what happens.
It does seem as though, indeed, it doesn't happen when I use my own font. Is there a way to avoid this? It doesn't seem to happen on the Aura H2O or the Libra 2, and I much prefer using my own fonts.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:57 PM   #32
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
Is there a way to avoid this?
Yes, of course. Fix this font using Fontlab or FontForge.

Patches have absolutely nothing to do with it.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2021, 02:52 AM   #33
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, of course. Fix this font using Fontlab or FontForge.

Patches have absolutely nothing to do with it.
What specific thing about the font would I need to fix?
Old 10-30-2021, 12:35 PM   #34
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Did you reboot after turning on the Invert Screen? Theoretically, this should work after a reboot (untested).
Nope, still no luck with InvertScreen.....That's irritating.

And dark mode requests to exit the reading app to turn on.
Anghirrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 01:06 PM   #35
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What specific thing about the font would I need to fix?

line spacing
Advert
Old 10-30-2021, 01:45 PM   #36
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Quote:

line spacing
Okay, but what would I need to change to make Kobo stop rendering it differently before and after a reboot? And why does this only happen on the Elipsa and not other Kobo devices?
Old 10-30-2021, 02:06 PM   #37
Semwize
Guru

@Rand Brittain

Unfortunately, I am not Cassandra to guess which font you are using and what needs to be fixed.
You can follow the pattern by opening Georgia or Avenir in parallel and setting similar values.
This happens when there are too large line spacing in the added font, which does not correspond to those accepted by Kobo.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:20 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Find a copy of ChareInk and look at the metrics. Copy them and see what happens.

ChareInk can be found at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #39
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Quote:
@Rand Brittain

Unfortunately, I am not Cassandra to guess which font you are using and what needs to be fixed.
You can follow the pattern by opening Georgia or Avenir in parallel and setting similar values.
This happens when there are too large line spacing in the added font, which does not correspond to those accepted by Kobo.
Okay, but how can this be correct when Kobo does accept the font on every other device and every other circumstance?
Old 10-30-2021, 04:10 PM   #40
Semwize
Guru

The number of lines on your devices is different.
Either don't use this font of yours, or fix it, or leave it as it is. Only your choice.
Old 10-30-2021, 06:24 PM   #41
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Quote:
The number of lines on your devices is different.
Either don't use this font of yours, or fix it, or leave it as it is. Only your choice.
That doesn't make sense, though? The problem doesn't happen because the number of lines is different, because it works fine when I set it. The issue is that it renders differently after a reboot, then returns to where I had it after I nudge it up and down. That doesn't come from a font (or several fonts) being "different"; it comes from the device not remembering the settings the way they were left.
Old 10-30-2021, 06:56 PM   #42
Semwize
Guru

You have two devices with the same firmware and settings, right?
And are you trying to prove (to yourself, probably) that one of them does not remember the settings?
I've explained to you what the problem is. Instead of fixing the font and seeing how it will work, you continue this pointless conversation. Your choice.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:07 PM   #43
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Quote:
And are you trying to prove (to yourself, probably) that one of them does not remember the settings?
Mysteriously, I don't feel like going to a lot of trouble and then keeping around two different versions of perfectly-normal fonts designed specifically for use on e-readers just to adopt a solution given to me by someone who evidently believes I have imagined the symptoms I am reporting.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:58 PM   #44
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Mysteriously, I don't feel like going to a lot of trouble and then keeping around two different versions of perfectly-normal fonts designed specifically for use on e-readers just to adopt a solution given to me by someone who evidently believes I have imagined the symptoms I am reporting.
I wrote above - your choice, your business. You've been told how to fix it, you don't want to do it. Stay with this error.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:51 PM   #45
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Quote:
I wrote above - your choice, your business. You've been told how to fix it, you don't want to do it. Stay with this error.
The thing is, you haven't told me how to fix it, because, without an understanding of why the Kobo behaves this way, I don't actually know what changes to make to the line spacing (and even if you told me exactly which ones to make I'd want to know why anyway).

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching