Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 09-28-2021, 12:18 AM   #1
ieyasunat
ieyasunat began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung s9
E-book reader not responding.

Every time I try to open an ebook from the library, the ebook viewer comes up and is completely white and immediately goes unresponsive and I have to end task in the task manager to close it.

From reading this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=340663 I figure it might be an issue with my GPU.

The final post says to somehow disable it in Settings > System > Video > Graphic settings,

but there is no 'Settings' in calibre, only preference and that menu does not contain any system or video or graphics settings.

Not sure what to do from here to fix this unresponsive thing, anyone can help?

Windows 10, Calibre portable if that helps.
ieyasunat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:30 AM   #2
ieyasunat

just an update:

So I tried finding graphics settings in Windows and i browsed to the ebook-view.exe but the options do not allow me to disable the graphics card. The options are 'Let Windows decide', 'Power saving' and 'High performance'

I tried setting to 'Let Windows decide' and the problem still there.

Know of anything else I can do?
Advert
Old 09-28-2021, 01:42 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you want to disable the GPU usage in the viewer you need to set an environment variable as described here: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwebengine-debugging.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:20 AM   #4
ieyasunat

Hi thanks for the reply

So I am in the environment variables for windows and I clicked New under system variables. I put in the following information:

Variable: QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS
Variable value: --disable-gpu

But I am still having the same problem. Did I do the inputs correctly?
Old 09-28-2021, 02:23 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that is correct, but reboot after changing it.
Advert
Old 09-28-2021, 03:01 AM   #6
ieyasunat

That worked, thank you!

Edit: Bad news, the book loaded initially then while reading it hung again. I had to end task the E-book viewer again.

When I try to reopen the book it does the same thing as before, comes up and is completely white and immediately goes unresponsive.

I checked the environmental variables and they are still there.

Is there anything else I can do?

Last edited by ieyasunat; 09-28-2021 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:23 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Update your graphics drivers and try running in safe mode to check if there is some software on your computer interfering.