Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-27-2017, 08:45 PM   #2551
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Hi thanks for replying. I've tried that and the update option is still greyed out. I put the .bin file in the mrpackages folder, unplugged, went to settings, went to update and it was grey. I'm really stuck given I'm doing everything I should in the right order.
As noted in prior post, now that you have the file in mrpackages open Kual and go to the helper menu and the mrinstaller in that menu. That will do the install if you have the proper version for your hardware.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:53 AM   #2552
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Thanks Dave. Did that and it seemed to work.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #2553
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Thanks Dave. Did that and it seemed to work.
Re-read the Step #8 spoiler in the current jail break thread.

Damn but that is really strange!
Things work when you follow the directions for an 8th. generation device on your 8th. generation device.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #2554
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Funny that.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:36 PM   #2555
Saraf
Saraf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Guys, feeling a bit sheepish here and hope someone can help me with what maybe really pretty basic stuff. I have an older PW (B024) running 5.4.4.2, and an older MacBook Pro running the latest MacOS. I use Calibre to upload books to my Kindle and never use wifi.

With the Kindle connected via usb to my Mac, I unzipped the contents of the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip (NOT the kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N.zip) to the root directory of my Kindle, or what I believe is the root directory. I then disconnected the Kindle after a few seconds but "update your kindle" is still greyed out no matter what I do. Could I be doing something as stupid as not knowing what my root is and unzipping the files in the wrong place? I am unzipping the files to Documents>My Kindle Content as there is no other Kindle directory.

When I unzip the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip, I get a folder "kindle-5.4-jailbreak" (with its contents. Nothing else other than that folder and two other files (pgp731.mobi and pg731.pgp) are in the "My Kindle Content" directory. Are there any Mac users who might know how I am managing to screw up? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Saraf; 01-29-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Saraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2017, 07:44 AM   #2556
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A few of the things you should be doing:

*) First, update your PW-1 to the current, 5.6.1.1 firmware release (this thread is also the jb for that version).
*) Use the jail break attached to the first post of this thread.
*) Follow the directions in the first post of this thread.
*) Use something other than a MacOS, or disable the "safe archive" thingy.
That is, neither you nor your overly helpful MacOS should be opening any archive unless the directions specifically tell you to do so.

The resulting directory tree of opening an archive DOES NOT and SHOULD NOT include the name of the archive!
That is another matter of your option settings on your MacOS.

When directions here (written over a span of years, terminology changes) tell you to put something in the 'root' of the directory tree over USB cable - it means:
"Put in top visible level of the directory tree as seen over the USB cable, right alongside the /documents directory."

Kindle Linux is a single root directory tree, just like you MacOSx is and the top level visible over the USB cable IS NOT the 'root' of the directory tree.
It is a sub-directory of the system directory tree, exported for your use.

Last edited by knc1; 01-30-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:33 AM   #2557
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@knc1: Erm, you're in the wrong thread. AND/OR you're again guilty of writing incorrect info at the wrong place.
fw 5.6.1.1 can't be jailbroken!. Jailbreak from this thread is for fw up to fw 5.4.4.2. Next working jailbreak exists for fw 5.6.5 (which doesn't exist for PW1, so not dice there for PW1 owners), or there is "factory image jailbreak" approach from "K5" group of devices starting with PW2. There is no "factory/initial" bin for use on PW1! So in conclusion the PW1 on fw 5.4.4.2 CAN and MUST be jailbroken using "kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N.zip" file attached in first post of this thread.

@Saraf: I'm not Mac OS X (or macOS the new/old name for the latest version of that OS) so one thing is confusing to me (since I have no idea how Mac OS displays thing like USB flash drives):

You've written that you've extracted the "kindle-5.4-jailbreak" archive to Document>My Kindle Content. This looks to me like a location on you PC ("Kindle for PC" on Windows OS stores downloaded books in "Document>My Kindle Content" directory), because there should't be a directory called "My Kindle Content" in "documents" (starts with lowercase "d", unlike the directory name on PC) that exists on Kindle itself.

In any case, you don't put content of jailbreak archive into "documents" folder/directory on Kindle, you put it in the same level (= next to it) as that "documents" AND you're not copying directory named "kindle-5.4-jailbreak" there, you need to copy the content itself (you end up with couple of files next to "documents" directory; see the screenshot below it's from my Windows PC but should look similar/the same on Mac OS, if you did things correctly).

I have bunch of other folders/directories and files on my Kindle, so I've highlighted the files that are part of jailbreak package (and "documents" folder, where you books on Kindle are).

So in other words, you unpack the archive to your computer. It will probably unpack the content in a way that you have a folder with the same name ("kindle-5.4-jailbreak") that the archive had. You don't copy the folder itself, you need to copy it's content to you Kindle "root" (root = the same level as existing "documents" folder where book files go; jailbreak files don't go into "documents" folder!).

The files you need to copy to Kindle are:

Quote:
bridge.conf
bridge.sh
developer.keystore
gandalf
jb.sh
json_simple-1.1.jar
Update_jb_$(cd mnt && cd us && sh jb.sh).bin

Last edited by shamanNS; 01-30-2017 at 09:40 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #2558
Saraf
Saraf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
That you so much for such detailed and helpful replies! KNC1 and ShamanNS, you have been invaluable. I'm always amazed at how helpful people like you both can be on such forums and how much time and consideration you show others.

With your advice, I managed to overcome my stupidity and jailbreak correctly. I am embarrassed to say that I had screwed up by placing the jailbreak files in my Kindle directory on my Mac, instead of onto the device/Kindle root itself when I connected via USB cable. I'll check to see what wonderful things I can do with the jailbreak this evening.

Thank you so much! I am so appreciative.

Last edited by Saraf; 01-30-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Saraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #2559
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@knc1: Erm, you're in the wrong thread. AND/OR you're again guilty of writing incorrect info at the wrong place.
fw 5.6.1.1 can't be jailbroken!
- - - -
Glad you could clear that up.
So glad, you can be primary help desk from now on.
I'm too old for this shit.

Note:
The PW-1, 5.6.1.1 has to be downgraded before it can be jail broken.

It is the only model/firmware pair that is not protected against the 'downgrade attack' as Lab126 labels it.

You can find the directions for 5.6.1.1 in the first post of this thread (with a link to the downgrade procedure).

So since you are mini-moding here now, just move my first list item to the last position on the list, that fixes my post for me.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:16 AM   #2560
overint
overint began at the beginning.

Device: PW1
Hi guys!

I'm a bit lost with the process
I have a kindle paperwhite 1 (First 4: B024) which is currently on 5.6.1.1.
The factory downgrade link seems to only apply to pw2 or higher, so I can't use that to downgrade. I tried loading the 5.4.4.2 update and I get the invalid update message.

Is there any way for me to jailbreak my kindle?

Thanks!
overint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:44 AM   #2561
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by overint View Post
Hi guys!

I'm a bit lost with the process
I have a kindle paperwhite 1 (First 4: B024) which is currently on 5.6.1.1.
The factory downgrade link seems to only apply to pw2 or higher, so I can't use that to downgrade. I tried loading the 5.4.4.2 update and I get the invalid update message.

Is there any way for me to jailbreak my kindle?

Thanks!
Yes, see first post of this thread.
There is a difficult to see link in the directions to the proper way to downgrade a PW-1 running 5.6.1.1
Old 02-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #2562
overint

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, see first post of this thread.
There is a difficult to see link in the directions to the proper way to downgrade a PW-1 running 5.6.1.1
I had another look, and i still cannot see it. Would you be able to quote that part or screenshot it? sorry.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #2563
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I had another look, and i still cannot see it. Would you be able to quote that part or screenshot it? sorry.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...62#post2881362

When looking for something, always open all spoilers and read them also.
Posts here that contain "Spoilers" usually have them only for cosmetic reasons.
Spoilers do not mean that the content is not meant to be read (if they do, the author will say so in the main text).

Last edited by knc1; 02-03-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:31 AM   #2564
overint

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The section has a red header, it is suppose to be easy to find:
IMPORTANT notice regarding FW >= 5.6.0:
As with the previous notice, this JailBreak obviously won't work on these new versions (but don't despair, we know have a universal solution, via a factory downgrade
As far as I can tell, that thread doesn't have a file for the PW1, only PW2+
http://puu.sh/tMAje/362a7ac769.png
Old 02-03-2017, 09:39 AM   #2565
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
As far as I can tell, that thread doesn't have a file for the PW1, only PW2+
http://puu.sh/tMAje/362a7ac769.png
Try reading my updated post please.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch