Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #46
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Actually I don't, no one has yet to release a device that does everything I want it to. When someone does, I'll buy one; in the mean time my SGT comes as close as anything. The Xoom has a lot of nice features, but it's just too big, and too pricey.
Hence why I said "best" and not "perfect".

I think it would be "nice" to have a tablet... but I'm still at the point where a device with a 9inch screen is going to be to big for me since I doubt I would take it out and about and too small for a couch/by-the-pool machine... so a 13inch laptop would be on my buy list above any 10inch tablet.

Now, if I win the powerball... all bets are off. Oh, and in this case I would probably be a 90% Apple house because of the great eco system all the devices have for home media that works so well. If only there were a DVR type product produced by Apple. TiVo still has the best solution there. (The other 10% would probably be Linux Server/NAS devices.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hence why I said "best" and not "perfect".

I think it would be "nice" to have a tablet... but I'm still at the point where a device with a 9inch screen is going to be to big for me since I doubt I would take it out and about and too small for a couch/by-the-pool machine... so a 13inch laptop would be on my buy list above any 10inch tablet.

Now, if I win the powerball... all bets are off. Oh, and in this case I would probably be a 90% Apple house because of the great eco system all the devices have for home media that works so well. If only there were a DVR type product produced by Apple. TiVo still has the best solution there. (The other 10% would probably be Linux Server/NAS devices.)

BOb

Hey! You got a problem with Apple TV? Them's fightin' words!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #48
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hey! You got a problem with Apple TV? Them's fightin' words!

Apple TV is not actually a DVR.

BOb

(yes I know you were kidding)
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #49
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Apple TV is not actually a DVR.

BOb

(yes I know you were kidding)
Well Dang!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #50
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
Quote:
Pete it's working great! I can't say I use it extensively though. I've seen no real difference in battery life, but as I said....

One thing that is not working well is preview of books "look inside" on Amazon.

This was posted from Xoom.
So finally I got the chance to mess with a Xoom for a little bit at Best Buy yesterday.

Oddly enough I have to say I wasn't impressed. I'm not trying to rationalize anything but after already using my gTab there was no gee-whiz-it's-an-Android-tablet-that-actually-works. It most certainly didn't suck by any stretch, but it wasn't $200 better (price based on WiFi-only, which may or may not be available for the Xoom depending on where you go/who you talk to). Mine's rooted but I would likely do the same for the Xoom so that's a non-issue as well. The increase in resolution is noticeable but so is the decrease in graphics performance e.g. the animations stuttered a bit, and it seemed to need time to think about things before doing them.

Honeycomb shows a lot of promise, on the other hand. The Xoom 2 (and they'd be foolish not to make one since Apple isn't going anywhere) will definitely be on my short list but for the moment Kenny won't have to worry about my taking any flights into Denver
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #51
kennyc

I'm actually thinking of picking up a Nook color....Not to replace the Xoom, but in addition....probably won't though...will probably wait on a different 7" screen...
Old 03-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #52
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
There is that BOb, and that's why I also have Carbonite. If my house burns down, I still can retrieve my data.

If I wanted to, Tonido has an off site backup mode where you install a second server(TonidoPLUG)/NAS at a remote location, and they COOP to each other. Since I don't have a suitable location, a cost/risk analysis would indicate that Carbonite's off site backup coupled with their excellent security features (128-bit Blowfish encryption) make it the most cost effective solution I've found.

Thanks for the PogoPLUG link, I'll look at it, but since I've already invested in Tonido; well ...
I have the old Pogoplug -- works well enough, except for the fact that you cannot stream high resolution files.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:43 AM   #53
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
[...] but for many users it is a religion.
I'd say some rather than many.
I'd also say that exactly the same is true about Linux.
And Android.
And Kindle.
And Republicans.
And Democrats.
And Red Sox fans.
And Dale Junior fans.
We seem to naturally band into tribes, and some people seem inclined to measure their self worth by the success of something unrelated to them.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #54
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
So finally I got the chance to mess with a Xoom for a little bit at Best Buy yesterday.

Oddly enough I have to say I wasn't impressed. I'm not trying to rationalize anything but after already using my gTab there was no gee-whiz-it's-an-Android-tablet-that-actually-works. It most certainly didn't suck by any stretch, but it wasn't $200 better (price based on WiFi-only, which may or may not be available for the Xoom depending on where you go/who you talk to). Mine's rooted but I would likely do the same for the Xoom so that's a non-issue as well. The increase in resolution is noticeable but so is the decrease in graphics performance e.g. the animations stuttered a bit, and it seemed to need time to think about things before doing them.

Honeycomb shows a lot of promise, on the other hand. The Xoom 2 (and they'd be foolish not to make one since Apple isn't going anywhere) will definitely be on my short list but for the moment Kenny won't have to worry about my taking any flights into Denver
There is a lady over at xda-developers who is porting HoneyComb to the SGT. It's still not ready for alpha release, but she's making impessive progress.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #55
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I have the old Pogoplug -- works well enough, except for the fact that you cannot stream high resolution files.
Yes, from glancing at the link that BOb provided, it looks good, and the price is the same as Tonido's. The Pogo site alluded to having remote printing capability from all clients, but I didn’t see any details regarding that. That would be something to have, and makes me sort of wish that I had looked a little closer before committing.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #56
kennyc

Quote:
There is a lady over at xda-developers who is porting HoneyComb to the SGT. It's still not ready for alpha release, but she's making impessive progress.
I'm looking forward to Honeycomb on some of the other tablets!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #57
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
I'm looking forward to Honeycomb on some of the other tablets!
I am too but I still think the xoom will be my Android tablet of choice.

1. It's runs stock honeycomb ui
2. I have more faith in Moto than let's say Samsung to provide timely updates especially any major ones.

I just love the look and feel of the Xoom as well. But I must admit the Asus Transformer is really really interesting.

Wifi only Xoom in now out officially

Last edited by boswd; 03-28-2011 at 02:05 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #58
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
2. I have more faith in Moto than let's say Samsung to provide timely updates especially any major ones.
I agree, Having owned several Sammy phones, I’ll grant that they are somewhat conservative regarding software/firmware upgrades.

If only the Xoom would fit in my pocket! :sigh:
Old 03-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #59
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

I just love the look and feel of the Xoom as well. But I must admit the Asus Transformer is really really interesting.

Wifi only Xoom in now out officially
You better pick one up quick. Because right now the choice is very easy. Give it a few more months and I think there is going to be a lot more great choices out on the market.

Having to chose from LG Optimus, Toshiba, Samsung, Dell, and Lenova. The choices will not be easy.

While Samsung does have horrible support, they make quality products and always have a strong dev community support because of it.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #60
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I'm actually thinking of picking up a Nook color....Not to replace the Xoom, but in addition....probably won't though...will probably wait on a different 7" screen...
I'm currently sporting a Nook with CM7(Gingerbread). While I wasn't too impressed with the stock nook, the CM7 ROM works great and I really like it.

There are and will be better 7" tablets, but at the price of $250 none are better.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote