Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What’s your favorite Jane Austen novel?
Northanger Abbey 2 5.71%
Sense and Sensibility 1 2.86%
Pride and Prejudice 13 37.14%
Mansfield Park 1 2.86%
Emma 4 11.43%
Persuasion 5 14.29%
Something else 1 2.86%
I have yet to have the pleasure 5 14.29%
Austen’s awful 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2022, 02:27 PM   #31
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
That was a fascinating read, thanks.

[Some spoilers for P&P]

Lizzy should have been far more understanding of poor Charlotte. Speaking of whom, good for her! She saw her chance and took it.

I once read in some commentary (don't remember where) that Charlotte's situation was probably one of the more realistic depicted in Austen.

This isn't much of a spoiler but I'm tagging it just in case.

Spoiler:
Plenty of women in that time period who did not have much money would have agreed to marry someone they didn't really like for financial reasons. Her husband wasn't great company, but at least he mostly left her to her own devices and was not cruel.

Last edited by 4691mls; 03-08-2022 at 02:30 PM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:29 PM   #32
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I voted for Pride & Prejudice. I always enjoyed Elizabeth's sense of humor. Of course Jane Austen's humor in general is one of the main reasons I like her books. Northanger Abbey was probably my least favorite.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 03:23 PM   #33
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Yay! Sense and Sensibility finally got some love!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:10 AM   #34
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I voted for I have yet to have the pleasure but I'm not sure I would ever read Jane Austen. It seems a bit stuffy and centered around upper crust people, although I realize I'm saying this as someone that has never read it and am vastly uninformed on it, it's just my impression from reading plot summaries and the like. As someone else mentioned, I'd be more interested in the servants' lives or something like that.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:52 AM   #35
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Yay! Sense and Sensibility finally got some love!
I'm still struggling with my vote, because I confess that I am unduly swayed by my love for Ang Lee's S&S movie. Totally inappropriate to allow it to influence how I feel about the books--no argument--but damn, I love that movie and normally, I never--never--read Regency, Romances, etc. They're really not my cuppa. It's an odd thing.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 03-10-2022 at 05:00 PM. Reason: ET Fix: cupp to cuppa.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:06 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Understood. Lots of people on Mobileread read science fiction and/or fantasy that I have no interest in. That doesn't mean I think it's awful - I'm sure that as with any genre, some is good and some isn't.
90% of everything is crap. Sturgeon's revelation.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:53 PM   #37
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I just discovered this thread, only to see that the vote is closed. For the record, I would have been torn between Emma and Persuasion as my favourite, probably leaning towards Persuasion.

I did enjoy reading the comments on the thread, and the essay Pride and Predators to which hildea gave the link. Thanks very much for that.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:18 AM   #38
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
It has been said that if you want to study the psychology of human beings, you should not make a study of psychology per se. Instead, just read Austen, Shakespeare, Melville, etc.
rjwse@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote