Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by evianluw View Post
Sadly, after updating USBNet and jailbreak, my kindle still fails to connect to computer via USB. Anyway, thanks for your help. Maybe it's really a kind of hardware problem, although I am cautious with connecting the cable to the micro-USB port.

I've thought of doing a factory reset or a complete firmware flash might solve the problem, but considering losing jailbreak for a while may mean unable to jailbreak forever for me if the USB connection isn't fixed, I just give up. If you have any ideas about uploading a file to the root directory of kindle without USB connection and jailbreak, please tell me.
The full flash images installed by Kubrick are already jail broken for the devices it is intended for.

You have a PW-2, the factory initial firmware used in the current jb is guaranteed by several 100,000 users to be jail breakable.

But the jailbreak procedure for a PW-2 requires that you follow directions, exactly.

What file are you trying to upload to the root directory of the Kindle?
That is most likely your problem, right there, PEBCAK.

Last edited by knc1; 11-10-2016 at 08:19 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:52 PM   #17
evianluw
Enthusiast
evianluw began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
WinSCP (via wifi) is still working?
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The full flash images installed by Kubrick are already jail broken for the devices it is intended for.
Did you mean Kubrick in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206064 I thought this would only work on k3, k4 and kt, not for kpw2.
Or you meant the factory images in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877 which doesn't seem already jailbroken.

Quote:
What file are you trying to upload to the root directory of the Kindle?
That is most likely your problem, right there, PEBCAK.
After an update, if I need to jailbreak again or fixing jailbreak, I'll need to upload the bin file to my Kindle. But without jailbreak it's impossible to transfer files. This is a paradox.
evianluw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:23 AM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yep.

Did you mean Kubrick in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206064 I thought this would only work on k3, k4 and kt, not for kpw2.
Or you meant the factory images in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877 which doesn't seem already jailbroken.

After an update, if I need to jailbreak again or fixing jailbreak, I'll need to upload the bin file to my Kindle. But without jailbreak it's impossible to transfer files. This is a paradox.
Note the qualification: "for the devices it is intended to be used on".

You will not need to be concerned about updates on any series 5 firmware device, it is viral and will self-reinstall.
It is only the first time that transfering our signature certificate (a file) that seems to be a paradox - and it is that situation which we solve for EVERY model Kindle (except for the PW3-32, for which we are still waiting for an owner that will cooperate with us).
Until an owner is willing to cooperate with us, the PW3-32 isn't our problem.

The factory images we have posted are very easy to jail break, which of course is why we use them.

It is always possible to transfer files when you have access to the serial port.

Last edited by knc1; 11-11-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #19
evianluw
Enthusiast

Quote:
It is always possible to transfer files when you have access to the serial port.
No accessing serial port, seriously, unless it's bricked or I won't open the back of the kindle.

One thing to question, are you familiar with the Duokan system? I've already installed it though I didn't mention before. It doesn't require the device to be jailbroken to install (at older firmwares and luckily, includes my 5.4.2), which implies incomplete jailbreak won't interfere itself. There is a FTP utility in the Duokan system, and if I can make sure I am able to switch into it after an update / firmware flash, there will be no problem re-jailbreaking.

Alas, I guess there won't be an easy and no-risk solution to its tricky problem. But honestly, it doesn't really matter if I just be ok with current firmware and do not think about these little features added in the updates. SSH is quick and easy enough for transfering files since there is no need to put an 1 GB or larger file in an ebook reader.

Last edited by evianluw; 11-11-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #20
knc1
Going Viral

The Duokan project uses jail break methods stolen from here without credit and they modified them to be incompatible with ours.

If your running Duokan, get your help from the Duokan project (miui.com).

It is not our project, it is not our code, and they violate the Open Source licenses that let them use the code.
We offer no support for Doukan here.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #21
evianluw
Enthusiast

Quote:
The Duokan project uses jail break methods stolen from here without credit and they modified them to be incompatible with ours.

If your running Duokan, get your help from the Duokan project (miui.com).

It is not our project, it is not our code, and they violate the Open Source licenses that let them use the code.
We offer no support for Doukan here.
Sorry to hear that, and I didn't even know they've stolen codes. Violating GPL is not uncommon among China tech companies, sadly.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:33 AM   #22
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Sorry to hear that, and I didn't even know they've stolen codes. Violating GPL is not uncommon among China tech companies, sadly.
It is against the official government policy.

But they have much more serious license violations to deal with over there (ones that effect international relations), enough so that they may not get around to this one for a generation or two.

A large country, a very large population, it takes time for everyone to "get the word" as it where.

Tags
jailbreak, usbnet