Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Rosen
Rosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enough

Device: Smartphone
Liddell & Scott: An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon (1889). v0.1 20 Aug 2010

This is a dictionary for ancient Greek. I downloaded it from the Perseus Project (here), and added lots of inflections so that many words can be looked up directly from a text. It's still a work in progress, but I'm posting it now because I'd like to know whether it functions on anyone's device. It works for me in Mobipocket Reader for PC, but not on my Cybook (I can browse, but searching doesn't work).

Greek is encoded as unicode, and you'll need a font with support for polytonic Greek (such as Gentium).

Update (23 Feb 2015): I'm posting my sourcefile in case someone else wants to make improvements. I don't have a Kindle or anything else to use this with. For a version suitable for use on smartphones and tablets (Stardict and BGL formats), see this thread.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Middle Liddell v0.1.prc (14.51 MB, 2082 views)
File Type: zip Middle Liddell sourcefile (mobi).zip (5.69 MB, 789 views)

Last edited by Rosen; 02-23-2015 at 05:08 AM.
Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:47 AM   #2
pufff
Enthusiast
pufff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello! I am teaching myself Ancient Greek (still at the very beginning of the process) and thought I would look at this. I added it via Calibre and tried to view it and I could not. It wouldn't convert into epub either. Odyssey worked beautifully and I can read it on my iphone - well at least I could if I understood a word is says....
pufff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Rosen
Rosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enough

Hi pufff!
Thanks for the feedback. Can you tell me which device you tried to view it on? I just opened it in Calibre's viewer; the program had to think for ten minutes, but then it worked.
Since you have an iphone, the Lexiphanes app might satisfy your Greek dictionary needs. Haven't tried it myself, but it looks promising.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pufff View Post
Hello! I am teaching myself Ancient Greek (still at the very beginning of the process) and thought I would look at this. I added it via Calibre and tried to view it and I could not. It wouldn't convert into epub either. Odyssey worked beautifully and I can read it on my iphone - well at least I could if I understood a word is says....
Liddell and Scott is not just "a" dictionary of ancient Greek, it is the dictionary of ancient Greek, but this particular edition of it - the full version - is not suitable for use by a beginner.

I'd strongly suggest that you buy a copy of what's generally called the "Middle Liddell", more formally "An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon" (again by Liddell and Scott). It will take you from the beginner's stage of the language to quite advanced reading. This complete L&S (this book) is pretty much useless for a learner - you'll get bogged down in all the variations in different dialects of Greek and won't actually be able to look anything up.

Note, by the way, that a Greek dictionary is usually called a "lexicon" - the Greek word - rather than a "dictionary" (the Latin equivalent).

Last edited by HarryT; 08-22-2010 at 10:50 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
Rosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Liddell and Scott is not just "a" dictionary of ancient Greek, it is the dictionary of ancient Greek, but this particular edition of it - the full version - is not suitable for use by a beginner.
Just to clarify: the dictionary/lexicon I have posted here is the Middle Liddell, not the full L&S. (The iphone app I mentioned, on the other hand, contains the full L&S [a.k.a. the LSJ], along with a lexicon of Homeric Greek.) I agree with HarryT that the Middle Liddell is more suitable for a learner. I also thought the Middle Liddell would be more useful on an ebook reader, which is why I've been working on adapting it rather than the LSJ.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosen View Post
Just to clarify: the dictionary/lexicon I have posted here is the Middle Liddell, not the full L&S.
Ah - thank you for clarifying that. That makes it much more useful!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
pufff
Enthusiast
pufff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have it open on my iphone now! I was simply being impatient - over an hour to convert to epub - but it's done now. Thanks!
pufff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
Rosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ah - thank you for clarifying that. That makes it much more useful!
On the utility front, maybe I should emphasize the point about inflections. I've incorporated a quite comprehensive list of inflected forms into this dictionary: so for example, if you click on the first word in the Odyssey, 'andra', mobipocket reader will take you to the definition of 'anêr'. Similarly, the second word of the Odyssey, 'moi', is recognized as a form of 'egô'; and so forth. There are still some glitches to work out here (variations in accentuation, capitalization, etc., plus a hundred-odd headwords that exceed mobipocket's limit of 255 inflected forms). If there's interest, I will address these issues and post an improved version.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
bakodragon
bakodragon began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE PAPERWHITE 2
Hi, I'm trying to make this dictionary works on a kindle paperwhite 2nd, but is doesn't seems to work. I edit the languaje metadata of a file on calibre to "Greek" but it doesn't reconize it. Im doing something wrong?
bakodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:18 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Are you trying to load it as is into your paperwhite bakodragon? You might need to reconvert the file as it has the old prc file name ending. I've noticed that sometimes I've had the problem of an older mobi file not working in my Kindle and all it took was reconverting the file in Calibre.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #11
bakodragon
bakodragon began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE PAPERWHITE 2
Hi, I make the dictionary woks by changing his language settings to English, with this tool: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1927698

Now the dictionary woks, I would like to know if is there an update or other version of this dictionary. It recognize a good amount of words and verbs, but usually not really common words. Thanks!
bakodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:58 AM   #12
Rosen

Hi, I'm glad to hear the dictionary works (sort of). I haven't been updating it because it didn't work on my own reader and didn't seem to generate a lot of interest. I'd be happy to share the source files if someone else wants to improve it. I also made a Stardict version of the material which has been working well for me; I'd be happy to share that if someone wants to use and/or convert it.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #13
didina
didina began at the beginning.

Device: android
It would be extremely useful to have the stardic file of the dictionary. Thank you very much for sharing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosen View Post
Hi, I'm glad to hear the dictionary works (sort of). I haven't been updating it because it didn't work on my own reader and didn't seem to generate a lot of interest. I'd be happy to share the source files if someone else wants to improve it. I also made a Stardict version of the material which has been working well for me; I'd be happy to share that if someone wants to use and/or convert it.
didina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:59 AM   #14
Rosen

I have posted a version of this dictionary in Stardict and Babylon (BGL) formats in a new thread: here.