Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Kindle for Web Arrives

I just saw the announcement and have a blog post up with my very first impressions:

They pre-announced it once before, then quickly retracted all but the help files. This time, it appears that Kindle for Web is here to stay. Right now, the app is in beta phase and only available on selected book pages....I invite you to add a comment if you run into one, so we can all give this a try. In the meantime, though, you can try it on the product page reached by clicking on the picture or link above. If you just want to see what is included, I've copied in the main features, below. One of the cooler things you'll be able to do is share a book sample via email ... also, potentially one of the more annoying, I suspect, for recipients.

Update: I was looking in the wrong place for the Read First Chapter Free button - it is located on the paper book product page and looks like it takes the place of the old "Look Inside" feature. Check out the product page for Easily Amused, by Karen McQuestion (an indie author turned bestseller), and you'll find the button below the usual buy choices, along the right hand side of the screen. I predict that nearly every author will start embedding these on their web pages ... because it is just so easy to do and it lets them give a sample of their books to any reader that passes buy, with no coding effort on their part. Of course, their book does have to be available as a Kindle edition ... which is a win for Amazon and a win for readers of ebooks.

Last edited by koland; 09-28-2010 at 11:21 AM.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Like the idea, but hope they roll it out to the UK store as well. At the moment, the book in the demo is geo restricted so it's not a lot of use over here.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
Like the idea, but hope they roll it out to the UK store as well. At the moment, the book in the demo is geo restricted so it's not a lot of use over here.
Huh? It works for me and I'm in the UK and signed in with a UK account.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:43 AM   #4
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
With this link to Amazon.com I still see the usual 'Look Inside' button and nothing else. If I look the same book up on Amazon.co.uk, it is only available in Kindle format and has the usual sample and buying options, nothing else.

I emailed Amazon yesterday about availability of KindleWeb for the UK and this was their reply:-
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for writing about the availability of kindle for web availability to UK.

Currently this feature is available only for amazon.com customers.

Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us. The Kindle Team will carefully review your suggestions.

Thanks for your interest in Kindle for web.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote