Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #31
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
It is clear that this Sony model has great qualities. But I resized some PDFs on my PC to see how they would appear on the Sony PRS-950 and on the Kindle DX. The PDFs that cannot be reflowed, and those with diagrams and pictures are immediately readable on a 9.7" screen, but unreadable on smaller screens.
yeah, it sucks, btw what did you use to resize them?
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #32
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Thanks for the great video, charbax. That's a really impressive touchscreen. It'll be interesting to see if sony can succeed with their "quality justifies the price" policy, though.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #33
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
Thanks for posting this, your video was the final motivation I needed to upgrade from my PRS-300
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #34
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
After having watched another time there does appear to be some glare to it still. How is it in person as compared to a completely non touch interface such as amazons?
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #35
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
After having watched another time there does appear to be some glare to it still. How is it in person as compared to a completely non touch interface such as amazons?
Maybe you would notice the same glare with a non-touch Amazon screen too. I think we were filming at a spot with some spotlights lighting onto it, I thought it would show best the screen quality. It might be glare just as you would get on a piece of paper held at the same angle with direct spot light lighting onto it.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #36
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
I saw the same glare, but unlike my PRS-600, I could still read the screen. The glare off the surrounding trim was far more prominent. The only time I saw significant glare was when he viewed the screen at a very low angle where you couldn't have read the text anyway. There is one point where I can see some light on the screen and I know on my PRS-600 I couldn't have viewed anything.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #37
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thank you very much for the video. That was so much better than the normal 1 minutes of fluff I see a lot of times. This video really gave me a good feel for what actually using the device would be like and consequently I think I'm in love with the 650.

There's nothing wrong with my 505 at all - I use it pretty much every day. It has seen heavy use since the day I bought it more than 2 years ago, but still looks great and has the same fantastic battery life as always. So why would I want to replace it? Because that 650 is damn sexy!

I really like the way they implemented the new touch screen, dictionary support, notes, etc. My 505 works great, but even with custom firmware there are lots of things it just can't do.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:39 AM   #38
StanByk
Connoisseur
StanByk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
Thank you very much for the video. That was so much better than the normal 1 minutes of fluff I see a lot of times. This video really gave me a good feel for what actually using the device would be like and consequently I think I'm in love with the 650.

There's nothing wrong with my 505 at all - I use it pretty much every day. It has seen heavy use since the day I bought it more than 2 years ago, but still looks great and has the same fantastic battery life as always. So why would I want to replace it? Because that 650 is damn sexy!

I really like the way they implemented the new touch screen, dictionary support, notes, etc. My 505 works great, but even with custom firmware there are lots of things it just can't do.
Its really tempting isn't it. I have a 505 as well and it works great, so really there wouldn't be any need to get a 650... but I still want one
StanByk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:00 AM   #39
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I want one, too... I gave my daughter my Hanvon N516, and I've just sold my Kobo (didn't like it).. Of course, I have also just bought the Kogan to try out - should be here Monday or Tuesday, so I'll wait till that arrives - I have 7 days to try it out. If no good I'll buy the Sony.. Maybe I'll buy it anyway...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:07 AM   #40
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Stop posting in this thread! I want one, but can't justify getting it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:33 AM   #41
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Fortunately I only have to convince my animals and myself (of course)..

I'm sure you'll think of something..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #42
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Fortunately I only have to convince my animals and myself (of course)..

I'm sure you'll think of something..
I'm thinking hard!

The only reason I can think of, right now, is the fact that my mother ordered one... I mean, how can I give support for it, if I don't know myself how it works? (she lives 1500km away, so hopping in is not an option )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #43
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I gave on trying to....
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #44
Lupa
Lupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Another video uploaded today! Watch in 720p Shows you how quick the page turns are, I think its pretty fast tbh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7jYlGSmaIE&feature=sub

Last edited by Lupa; 09-09-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Lupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #45
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Ah thanks for the 2nd video there. Mostly more of the same, though much shorter, but they mentioned it being able to work with local Libraries much easier. Sounds great.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony