Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
failure rate of a device while used in 2 year?(in users' experience)

I'm buying new DR1000S after selling my DR800SG. But I've heard in this forum that iRex doesn't provide A/S any more.
So I wonder if I can use it without any internal problem, failure of the device for more than at least 2 years from now on. Because if it broke down suddenly, there would be no solution for it, you know.
At least in this forum, I've seen few threads regarding a user's experience about sudden failure of the device.. Is there somebody who has any idea about failure rate? Of course I mean no statistical one here, but just an privately experimental one.
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
As far as I can tell - based on my own reader and reading in places like this - the device isn't particularly prone to just crapping out. It does seem to be a bit too fragile for some though. In particular there are reports of screen breakage, of the USB-connector giving way, and of the reset button giving way. (I really don't get that last one: it needs no force at all and provides an easy to feel click as feedback.)
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
I recently bought a second hand DR1000 which is almost 2 years old and it still reads fine.

There's one regression with the screen. If I write notes, a grey band starts to form slowly accross the screen (somewhere above the center). But this only happens with note taking (because of the multiple partial refreshes), which I never do. Actually, this might have been an issue right from the start but I don't know.

Battery life isn't very long, but that seems to be normal based on what I've read here. I would advice buying a cover, because it does feel a bit fragile.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Thanks for your replies. It seems that e-reader is so durable one.. that I don't have to worry about it.
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs View Post
There's one regression with the screen. If I write notes, a grey band starts to form slowly accross the screen (somewhere above the center). But this only happens with note taking (because of the multiple partial refreshes), which I never do. Actually, this might have been an issue right from the start but I don't know.
It did that right from the start. Does seem to differ a bit firmware to firmware though.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert