Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Wifi-connection via laptop/pc

I just bought my ipad and I'm fairly happy with it. I'm sharing an internet connection with my brother next door, so I don't have a direct line connection to a router, just Wifi.
I can hook up to my brothers network with my laptop and ipad just fine, but I cannot use either of them in some of my condos rooms.

I have installed Connectify which is supposed to make a hotspot from my laptop. This way I could use the laptop at a point of reception as some kind of a repeater for the wifi-signal. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. The ipad can see the hotspot and it connects to it. But that's about all. I don't get internet.
I can see, when I go to the properties status tab on my win7 laptop, that my laptop receives data and it also sends out about 1500 bytes. But after those it just stops.

Did anyone set up something like connectify or an adhoc network who would share what settings I have to choose to extend my Wifi-signal?
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
There is a check box I believe on Connectify that says Share Internet. If that is not checked then your iPad won't be able to access the internet over the wifi signal. I'm not sure why that isn't checked in the default of the program but you have to manually check it.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 04:01 AM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

ok, I found out just now. the shared connection was my brothers home network. I could
Not change this as it was checked as shared. so I unshared it and then could select the appropriate network. sorry for any typos, but this is the first. Time I use my new gadget for typing. still cool, but I guess I will use the laptops keyboard again next time. how do you type on touch with all 10 fingers?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
ok, I found out just now. the shared connection was my brothers home network. I could
Not change this as it was checked as shared. so I unshared it and then could select the appropriate network. sorry for any typos, but this is the first. Time I use my new gadget for typing. still cool, but I guess I will use the laptops keyboard again next time. how do you type on touch with all 10 fingers?
With practice, I've found I can touch type with the iPad in landscape orientation on my lap, either in a case that allows for a slight incline or on a stand that does the same. But for posts like this, I generally don't bother going that route. I'm currently laying on my back with the iPad held vertically, and lazily using one hand to type this out. For "real" typing, I pull out the Bluetooth wireless keyboard.

Congrats on your new gadget!
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:17 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru

Yep, I guess for short posts it suffices. For longer ones and e-mail I'll use my laptop.
Advert