Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Spring Design Alex

Notices

Old 04-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Bluebrain
Bluebrain will become famous soon enoughBluebrain will become famous soon enoughBluebrain will become famous soon enoughBluebrain will become famous soon enoughBluebrain will become famous soon enoughBluebrain will become famous soon enough

Device: Alex eReader
How to root the Alex eReader

Done! The Alex eReader was rooted on a sunny Sunday afternoon!

How to:

Download the update.zip and copy it to the root folder of your alex' SD card.
click to download

1.) Power down
2.) Press and hold simultaneously the "back" and "next page" button.
3.) While keeping pressed the 2 buttons, press and hold the power button.
Keep pressing these 3 buttons until the alex logo appears on the screen.
Release the power button.
4.) You will enter recovery mode. Release all buttons.
5.) press back + power button to apply the update.zip
Hold on, until it's finished.

You are done! Enjoy full root access!

Bluebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Well done!
What do you get from rooting the Alex? I thought you already had full access.

Oh, and welcome to MobileRead!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
Bluebrain
Bluebrain will become famous soon enoughBluebrain will become famous soon enoughBluebrain will become famous soon enoughBluebrain will become famous soon enoughBluebrain will become famous soon enoughBluebrain will become famous soon enough

Device: Alex eReader
No, from stock you don't have full access.

You are able to install apps by downloading .apk files via the browser, but that's what you can do on every Android Phone. (even a lot of users were surprised you can do this one the alex)
Well, on the B&N Nook, you weren't even able to do this.

With root access, you have full access to the entire system!
Bluebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebrain View Post

You are able to install apps by downloading .apk files via the browser, but that's what you can do on every Android Phone.
(even a lot of users were surprised you can do this one the alex)
Well, on the B&N Nook, you weren't even able to do this.

Actually, that's what I meant by full access. Thanks for explaining the difference.

I don't care to use it, but on behalf of the "fiddle with it until it breaks" community, Thanks!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
xiutian
xiutian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Nexus One, Alex
Meaning I'll be able to install Aldiko Book Reader on the Alex?
xiutian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiutian View Post
Meaning I'll be able to install Aldiko Book Reader on the Alex?
Yes, you can install Aldiko, but you don't actually need to get root access for that.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
kejia
Enthusiast
kejia began at the beginning.

Device: alex ereader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebrain View Post

You are able to install apps by downloading .apk files via the browser, but that's what you can do on every Android Phone.

When I was deciding to get the Alex, I know I saw a link for getting the apps, but I don't know where I saw it? Do you know a good site for the regular apk files (don't feel like being root just yet )
kejia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:29 AM   #8
xiutian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes, you can install Aldiko, but you don't actually need to get root access for that.
But would we be able to read the Aldiko ebooks on the e-ink screen?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiutian View Post
But would we be able to read the Aldiko ebooks on the e-ink screen?
No. But if you wanted to do that, first someone would have to go quite a few steps beyond simply rooting the Alex. This would take a fair amount of hacking the code before it could work.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:50 AM   #10
xiutian

When a book is downloaded using the browser, where is it stored? Is it stored in the SD card or in the system folders?

If it is in the SD card, then I think the Aldiko books can just be transferred to that folder using a File Manager app? If it is in the system folder, then we would require root to do the transferring. My guesses only, going to try it out when I get my Alex.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #11
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
When I downloaded a book from Gutenberg it ended up in the "ebooks" folder on the SD card, but I didn't use the browser to access Gutenberg; I used the "Bookstore" app.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:27 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
When I downloaded a book from Gutenberg it ended up in the "ebooks" folder on the SD card, but I didn't use the browser to access Gutenberg; I used the "Bookstore" app.
You're still using the browser, actually. The Bookstore app is just a page of links.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:02 AM   #13
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books
LARdT began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3ext (Papyre 6.1)
Do you think you can do the trick with a newer firmware?
I've a recent one.

Thanks
LARdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
see 1.6 firmware with English fbreader, just posted. also new root that works on alex. Titanium Backup works fine. if somebody knows how to enable adb more can be achieved.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #15
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books
LARdT began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3ext (Papyre 6.1)
News about rooting the ALEX

Excuse me, posted where exactly?

Thnaks.
LARdT is offline   Reply With Quote