Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Suggestions for feel-good Christmas stories?

Something light, humourous and/or romantic that feels like drinking hot chocolate and eating Christmas cookies after hours out in the cold & snow

For example, I've just finished 'Winter Solstice' by Rosamunde Pilcher and now I'm going to read 'High Spirits: A collection of ghost stories' by Robertson Davies.

(No Dickens, BTW, please - I've just never gotten along with him).
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I enjoyed 'The Act of Roger Murgatroyd' by Gilbert Adair, a witty homage to 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' by Agatha Christie.
The action takes place over Christmas, at a secluded country house cut off from the outside world by a snowstorm.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b9...e-Willis/?si=0
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I enjoyed 'The Act of Roger Murgatroyd' by Gilbert Adair, a witty homage to 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' by Agatha Christie.
The action takes place over Christmas, at a secluded country house cut off from the outside world by a snowstorm.
Sounds like good fun. Doubt I can have them here before Christmas, but I've put them on my TBR-list

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Sounds appropriately treacly. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
O. Henry's, The Gift of the Magi, is one I love!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php

http://www.feedbooks.com/book/3504
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
O. Henry's, The Gift of the Magi, is one I love!
That's a dear one It was also one of the stories in my 9th grade English Reader - thanks for the links.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Holiday Magic By Diana Castilleja has seemed to have received high star reviews on Goodreads... I haven't read it , but have downloaded it for my mom's Reader. You may want to check it out.. (free ebook)

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/6537
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
This one has been around for a while, a very quick read, but very heartwarming. I'm posting the link in order not to do something illegal.

http://bobsiwel.blogspot.com/2007/12...mas-story.html
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
Yay! Love Connie Willis, and another book added to my cart...hope that coupon still works

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
Yay! Love Connie Willis, and another book added to my cart...hope that coupon still works

Mel
There is another Connie Willis Christmas story that IIRC came out after that collection and isn't included titled All Seated On the Ground. You can get it free here (just copy/paste it from the web site into your preferred format of course)

http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_0805/allseated.shtml

or you could buy if for A HUNDRED AND FORTY NINE FREAKING DOLLARS at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...ovssciencefiA/
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
We've got a couple of older threads with links to Christmas stories:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33472
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...967#post302967

And so has Project Gutenberg:
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Christmas_(Bookshelf)

Hoefully, there will be somethig to suit everybody.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #12
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
There is another Connie Willis Christmas story that IIRC came out after that collection and isn't included titled All Seated On the Ground. You can get it free here (just copy/paste it from the web site into your preferred format of course)

http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_0805/allseated.shtml
All Seated On The Ground won the Hugo Award for Best Novella a couple of years ago.
Another good Christmas book is Wally Lamb's "Wishin' and Hopin'". It's a short, humorous novel that's a departure from his usual tragic stories.

http://www.amazon.com/Wishin-and-Hop...1107044&sr=8-1

Last edited by BenG; 12-18-2009 at 01:34 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #13
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Oh. I love this one!

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Just so that I feel like I am contributing, Stuart McLean's Vinyl Cafe series (short story collections surriounding a fictional family) has several great Christmas stories the best and most infamous of which is "Dave cooks the Turkey". Makes me laugh every time I think about it. I have the CD collection too (entirely dedicated to the Christmas collection) as this series originates as a CBC radio show.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #15
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
Since MelC brought up CBC Christmas stories (and I agree about Vinyl Cafe), how about Alan "Fireside Al" Maitland reading "Gift of the Magi" and Frederick Forsyth's "The Shepherd"? "The Shepherd" will definitely be on CBC's As It Happens on Christmas Eve, somewhere between 6:30 pm and 8 pm local time. It's been a Christmas Eve tradition for 30 years. They also often replay "The Gift of the Magi" sometime during the week leading up to Christmas. Keep checking the website: http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/

I think "The Shepherd" qualifies as a feel good story and others have already mentioned "The Gift of the Magi". I have many a fond Christmas memory listening to both these stories over the years.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote