Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Sharp Memory LCD - kind of like e-Ink, or is it like Pixel Qi...

Sharp Memory LCD:

...kind of like e-Ink, I guess, but not quite. It seems to be more like Pixel Qi, in a way, since it's LCD, in something like transflexive mode.

"The 1.4mm thick display pairs pixel-memory with a new reflective display technology which reduces the need for backlighting. Thanks to that, power consumption is down to just 15 µW, compared to standard 1mW STN displays."

From SlashGear.

------
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sharp_memory_lcd-479x299.jpg.jpeg
Views:	731
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	30260  

Last edited by Sonist; 06-03-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
very interesting. Amazing what eink has stimulated. Even if eink ultimately is a complete fail in the future, it's simple existance has forced rethinking of business as usual by pretty much every company out there.

I also have the sense with energy concerns on each countries mind these days, such devices are indeed an attempt to head off potential across the board restrictins on a device's power consumption.

For example here in CA there is a huge change in LCD TV power consumption limits. As I recall they were supposed to kick in either in 2010 or 2011, but that is said to be a fluid target as long as the mfg's are indeed making changes. This comes about because the mfg's are using the most power hungry, hence cheapest, designs to get TV's out the door soon as possible and cash in on the format shift.

I see this as being important to other devices as well. And some of the tech developed for small device will find it's way into bigger gear like TV's.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 01:44 AM   #3
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
I agree with brecklundin, very well stated!
It's not clear to me if eink will be able to be fast enough (refresh) to ultimately compete with the LCD and esp. hybrid screens coming out - which will probably eventually all have some sort of wireless network capability (as with computers, phones, PMPs, etc). But eink devices have demonstrated a real need for lower power consumption - although I'm not as optimistic as brecklundin as to the impetus. I think that it is more the promise of ultra-long battery life and ergonometrics (if I can use that term to include easy-on-the-eyes) driving the need.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:36 AM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
as long as a device has atleast 16 hours of use its fine. even 8 is okay.

new screens make me happy. Eink is mediocre at best. new techs, new innovations are great.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:44 AM   #5
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
I like the new model of Eink. It's lcd is very small that really serves its purpose.

It is not all books that are as dull as their readers.
Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 03:45 AM   #6
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
i agree with rgeorg.

It is not all books that are as dull as their readers.
Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:10 AM   #7
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
The lower power consumption is really a nice idea.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote