Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
hollywoodb
hollywoodb began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Another 505 vs BeBook vs CyBook question

Hi, I've been lurking these forums and reading quite a bit, and I've come down to probably deciding between the Sony 505, BeBook, and CyBook Gen3.

I'm leaning away from the CyBook Gen3 since (from what I've read) it has much worse power management than the BeBook.

Here's what matters to me most:
  • Good, clear fonts
  • High contrast
  • Long battery life (off or on)
  • Ability to pick up on the same book & page I left off when I return to the device after a break
  • Durability and ability to use the device for at least a few years.
  • I run Linux exclusively. Any Windows-centric software or tools are completely useless to me and I will not be able to take advantage of them.

Here are things that make abolutely no difference to me:
  • DRM. I will not purchase/read any book that has any form of DRM. I don't believe in it, and even if I did most the books I want to read aren't available through Sony, Mobi, or Amazon's stores anyways. DRM is a non-issue, I won't use it.

If I've been reading correctly, I should be able to do format conversions between most popular formats using software like Calibre. With that in mind the supported formats aren't so important (even though I like the openness of the BeBook). I also think OpenInkPot is pretty cool, although I don't know for sure if I'll actually use it.

From what I've read the Sony appears to higher quality than the BeBook, but it's hard to get an honest answer because naturally people favor the product they already have/use.
hollywoodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The BeBook (Hanlin) is solidly made and the only issue I have heard about the hardware are a few reports of sticking keys. I would not be surprised if the Sony were of higher quality overall, but I would rate the Hanlin as above average.

The BeBook meets all your criteria, and I would say it is one of the best devices out there for DRM-free content. I have three EInk readers, and I now almost exclusively use my EZ Reader (Hanlin) running OpenInkPot.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
hollywoodb
hollywoodb began at the beginning.

Device: none
Another note... I've been searching for actual pictures of how the BeBook and 505 render pages, and from what I can tell the BeBook tends to have issues with placing letters varying distances from each other.

For example, "elit" at the end of the first sentence in the following image looks fine except for the last paragraph (largest font size):
http://blog.johan-mares.be/wp-conten...-verdana01.jpg

Same thing here, most noticeable in the word "To" in the middle of the page:
http://dbzer0.com/wp-content/uploads...ader-small.jpg

Looks like poor kerning to me... is this a pretty common problem on the BeBook? Does the same issue arise on the 505?
hollywoodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:33 AM   #4
clee
clee began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I own both the BeBook and the PRS-505. The short answer is, if you're willing to invest some time getting OpenInkpot up and running, get the BeBook. If you're not, then get the Sony. I've had no issues dropping books on SD cards from my Linux machine and reading them in either device (mostly PDFs but some converted Mobipocket books, too).

The PRS-505 is a better device out of the box; the BeBook comes with absolutely inferior software and the hardware doesn't feel as nice in the hands, and their layout of the page-switching buttons feels very strange to me. The BeBook has the previous/next buttons on the left-hand side of the device, while those same buttons are on the right-hand side on the PRS-505. This matters, because the leather "shell" that comes with the BeBook folds on the left side - making it really awkward to get to the page-turning buttons unless you fold the leather case backwards on itself.

That said, OpenInkpot (and the ability to hack together your own software, if you know how to do such a thing) makes the BeBook infinitely more attractive to me at the moment. The library-navigation software and PDF reader on the PRS-505 are much better than the ones that come with the standard BeBook firmware, but the OpenInkpot software is pretty competitive with the PRS-505 for responsiveness and attractiveness.
clee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I have both the Cybook and the BeBook. I purchased the Cybook when it was the only one which supported Mobipocket. Now that BeBook supports Mobipocket it is the one I recommend to everyone. It's a solid reader and easy to use. I found the default firmware very usable and think it would be sufficient for most people.

If you are interested in further customizing your reading experience I second Clee's recommendation for OpenInkpot. The people working on OI have put in a lot of time and effort to create a very slick firmware for the Hanlin family of eBook Readers.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
I have both the Cybook and the BeBook. I purchased the Cybook when it was the only one which supported Mobipocket. Now that BeBook supports Mobipocket it is the one I recommend to everyone. It's a solid reader and easy to use. I found the default firmware very usable and think it would be sufficient for most people.
Do you think that the BeBook is as good as the CyBook for Mobi, Justy? When I saw a picture of a Mobi page on the BeBook, it didn't seem to render it terribly well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
I would pick the Cybook over Bebook (if interested in Mobi format)
because I like to access public library ebooks.

I know Bebook has a fix (adds a timer?) but it's only temporary.
You lose it when you shut down.

With Cybook, it's plug & play re: library books.

Just my half-penny.. lol.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:18 AM   #8
oddity
oddity began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook/V3
I have exactly the same needs as you and BeBook satisfies them all. Haven't tried other devices.
oddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
I would pick the Cybook over Bebook (if interested in Mobi format)
because I like to access public library ebooks.

I know Bebook has a fix (adds a timer?) but it's only temporary.
You lose it when you shut down.

With Cybook, it's plug & play re: library books.

Just my half-penny.. lol.
I have both the BeBook and the Cybook and I have found that I *never* shut down the BeBook, I just "Lock the keyboard." This puts it into 'sleep' mode and it hardly drains the battery at all. Pressing <power> again gets me back to my last page almost instantly. The only time I shut down the BeBook is for firmware updates. For me the library fix is almost as good as the fix for the Cybook as I'd only have to re-run it every few months or so and only if there is a firmware update. Otherwise I set up the date/time and just keep the BeBook battery topped up.

With the Cybook I'm glad there is a more permanent fix. I completely shut it down after every reading session, or after an hour if I put it down and don't get back to it as soon as I thought I would. It would be annoying to have to reset the date/time possibly several times a day while reading a library book. Though if that was the case I'd probably turn the 'auto off' to 'never' and just keep it charged like I do the BeBook. The Cybook battery would run down faster through. I seem to remember that it lasts 'about' a week if left on all the time.

For me, the main differences between the 2 devices are dictionary support on the Cybook and more font sizes on the Cybook. If these aren't important, then the BeBook is a wonderful device.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I purchased the Sony PRS505 and had the preloaded junk wiped and replaced with my books in 10 minutes. I have not had a single problem with it since I started using it. It is hands down the most user friendly, bug free electronic gadget I have ever owned. It also looks elegant. I would recommend spending the extra money to get the Sony.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Right I only have the SONY so I wont tell you what is better but rather what the sony has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodb View Post

Here's what matters to me most:
  • Good, clear fonts
This is a very subjective criteria. But all I will say is the text looks great on the SONY and it does support a range of fonts.

Quote:
  • High contrast
Yes sony does have 16 color contrast the text look great on the reader. The contrast is so high grey scale pictures look very good.

Quote:
  • Long battery life (off or on)
The SONY excels here I tend to charge my device about once every two weeks. The charge life last longer if I'm not reading books from the SD card.

Quote:
  • Ability to pick up on the same book & page I left off when I return to the device after a break
I think all the eBook readers support this feature.

Quote:
  • Durability and ability to use the device for at least a few years.
The device is pretty durable, but you'll hear different stories here. I've dropped my book a total of 4 times twice on concrete and all I have from it is nicks and scratches.
The body is made of aluminum and the top/bottom are made out of plastic. The plastic ends are the only places where my SONY has taken any damage.

Quote:
  • I run Linux exclusively. Any Windows-centric software or tools are completely useless to me and I will not be able to take advantage of them.
Since you do not care about DRM. This will not be an issue. The SONY software only works on Windows, but you only really need this software for DRM books. Personally I prefer calibre over the sony software, which runs on most platforms.

Personally the SONY device is a great product I have no regrets. It is small and thin. Making it very portable. I can stick it in my back pocket. It also is the only eInk that supports ePUB which seems to be the format of the future.

Oh: The one thing the other devices have over the SONY is a built in dictionary. Doesn't seem like a big deal until you've used a product that supports a dictionary.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #12
Justy
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you think that the BeBook is as good as the CyBook for Mobi, Justy? When I saw a picture of a Mobi page on the BeBook, it didn't seem to render it terribly well.
I think they both do a good job. On my Blog, I have pictures of them side by side with Neptune's Crossing open to Chapter 5 page 1. Both are displaying the "Times New Roman" font, the BeBook is on the smallest font size and the Cybook is on the 5th from the top. The top font on the Cybook is the absolute smallest and in some font families it is almost 'mouse print.' I normally read at the 3rd from the top size on the Cybook.

Last edited by Justy; 05-04-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #13
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
I just purchased a Hanlin V3 (EZ Reader, actually) for OpenInkpot development after a year of owning the Sony Reader PRS-505, and I was shocked at the difference in usability between the two. The Sony feels faster than the BeBook firmware, the text rendering looks better, and the overall experience is much better. With the BeBook firmware, ePub rendering was horrendous while Calibre-converted Mobipocket was just acceptable. Even the button layout is much better on the Sony Reader. For someone who doesn't like to fiddle with their gadgets, it is an easy choice: the Sony is the clear winner.

While OpenInkpot failed to open the ePub documents I tested, the Mobipocket rendering was much better, the interface was extremely clean, and it actually felt a little faster than the BeBook firmware (although not as fast as the Sony). It clearly needs polish, but it is surprisingly good for not having company support.

The Hanlin/BeBook feels lighter (unfortunately to the point of feeling cheap, but it is kind of nice). The dark plastic border also helps with the apparent contrast of the text. Although I haven't seen a blue Sony Reader in action, I regret not buying one now.

Unfortunately, it will probably come down to format support for most people. Since I convert all of my content it isn't an issue, but those that are willing to convert are likely to be gadget tinkerers (and thus want a Hanlin). However, now that Sony is more available and at a lower price in the United States, I see the Hanlin as having difficulty entering the market.

(A final note: when people ask me what to buy, I still discourage the purchase of any eBook devices. While I have read electronic books almost exclusively for the past ten years, it is hard for me to recommend a non-geek friend jump into the format wars.)

Disclaimer: I don't have a year's experience with the BeBook, so maybe it would grow on me with time.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #14
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
I just purchased a Hanlin V3 (EZ Reader, actually) for OpenInkpot development after a year of owning the Sony Reader PRS-505, and I was shocked at the difference in usability between the two.
Based on this thread I bought my Sony reader under the assumption that it is highly likely that OI will support 505 in the future. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
DRM. I will not purchase/read any book that has any form of DRM.
Huh, I am with you on "I will not purchase" part (me too, unless it can be stripped), but "I will not read" is a bit difficult to understand. My library offers digital content, and I have no problems with DRM protection used for these purposes. Nor do I have anything against an occasional "freebie" fortified with DRM.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #15
Justy
Fanatic

Quote:
While OpenInkpot failed to open the ePub documents I tested, the Mobipocket rendering was much better, the interface was extremely clean, and it actually felt a little faster than the BeBook firmware (although not as fast as the Sony). It clearly needs polish, but it is surprisingly good for not having company support.
While I am currently using the default firmware on my BeBook, I did try OpenInkpot pre-0.2 and love the flexibilty to customize the reading experience that is available. I changed back to the default firmware to test out the "library eBook fix" which won't run on OI due to lack of DRM support. I will likely switch back at some point. I miss my smaller fonts.

Quote:
The Hanlin/BeBook feels lighter (unfortunately to the point of feeling cheap, but it is kind of nice). The dark plastic border also helps with the apparent contrast of the text. Although I haven't seen a blue Sony Reader in action, I regret not buying one now.
It's interesting that you said the BeBook is lighter. When I compared it to the Cybook it feels heavier and more 'solid,' it would be interesting to get all 3 devices together to see how they compare when side by side.

Quote:
Unfortunately, it will probably come down to format support for most people. Since I convert all of my content it isn't an issue, but those that are willing to convert are likely to be gadget tinkerers (and thus want a Hanlin).
I also "liberate" my eBooks, just to open up my options. At the same time, I don't hesitate to recommend the BeBook to family and friends. With many non-DRM formats and Mobipocket DRM available there are lots of options for anyone wanting an eBook reader. I have been reading on it exclusively for a couple of months now and really like it. I think the folder support won me over.