Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
My Sony 505 and my Cybook the best of both worlds

I recently purchased the 505 and love it. I realize that someone may have already covered this but this is my 2 yen worth. Both devices are excellent and I would highly recommend both to users. I have added a few positives of both and will not put down the negatives as I think both are still "early" models for the e-ink/ebook reading industry.

NB: I do make mistakes typing and in details at times. So, for all you anal retentive types, spare me your wrath.

Ok. Now for my views on the best parts of both devices

Cybook pluses:

- Mobipocket support
- 12 Font sizes
- Dictionary look up Support
- Unlimited fonts
- replaceable battery
- light weight

Sony 505 pluses:

- Best Ergonomically(better turn page buttons)
- page numbers
- landscape and portrait mode
- great PDF support
- Calibre (ta to Kovidgoyal)
- 505 3rd party software

I think both are well designed and appealing to the eye. I think there are more points for both, but I think these are the ones that are the best of both worlds.

If you have one, I recommend you buy the other. Unfortunately, My wife and my wallet won't allow me any more purchases in the coming year. I hope that Astak and other companies continue to release new and better products.

Here in Japan, My ebook readers get a lot of attention. Very few people have heard about them and they are very keen on e-ink technology.

Regards,

hidari

Last edited by hidari; 09-26-2008 at 07:27 PM.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good comparison - I completely agree with your "pluses and minuses".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

I imagine there are more for the Cybook. However, you know more about the Cybook than I do.. I am still on build .681 and a wee bit hesitant to upgrade.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
agree. i would like the best of both in one device tho'!
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I imagine there are more for the Cybook. However, you know more about the Cybook than I do.. I am still on build .681 and a wee bit hesitant to upgrade.
If your on 681 I'll probably suggest that you upgrade to the latest release. Wile 704 was a pain the newest one is quiet stable, and actually makes PDF's usable on it.

Battery life has also improves, as I'm getting almost double the time (aprox, no proper testing done) I was from 704.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert