Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-22-2008, 03:36 AM   #1
Greencookie
Greencookie began at the beginning.

Device: HTC touch
Which one which one which one???

I've spent hours browsing through the internet looking for info in regards to ebook readers. Unfortunately, I'm still having much difficulty deciding on which one to purchase. The only one I've seen in real-life is the sony one at Borders, and I thought the display was horrible?? It reminds me of an LCD display running out of battery? Are all e-ink display like that?

Which device is more durable? less issues? Most like reading regular book? It appears that the Kindle may be my best bet but I think it's a tad expensive....and umm...tad ugly? I was going to wait for Kindle 2 but it won't be available until sometime 2009....I like the Readius but not sure when it'll be available in the US. The iLiad is very nice but it's outside of my price range, plus I don't need all the extra capabilities.

Anyway, the reader will be used for recreational reading only, so all I really need is one that will have most content and latest releases. My goal is to stop buying non-reference paper books for I have no place to store them anymore!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Greencookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you dislike eInk screens, then really none of the devices you mention will appeal to you - they all use the same screen.

I am a little surprised at your reaction to it. Most peoples' reaction on seeing an eInk display "in the flesh" is "Wow!".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 04:21 AM   #3
Greencookie

I don't know if there was something wrong with the one I saw at Borders. The words were not solid...they have a lot of 'white' that's why I thought they look like LCDs running out of battery?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:33 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That certainly sounds like something's wrong. The text should be solid black on a pale grey background.

Look at the photographs on Sony's web site - they are real screen shots.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
Hi Greencookie,

As Harry says everyone I have shown my Sony to has been amazed at the quality and clarity of text. Indeed whilst away in the Motorhome at Shepton Mallet showground last weekend two couples from another forum wanted to see it in particular.

Between them they have bought three units in the week!

Get and check in Waterstones or a Sony shop to see if the one you looked at was faulty.

Best regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
Greencookie

Thanks

Thanks! So out of the few available today, would you recommend the Sony one?
Old 09-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencookie View Post
Thanks! So out of the few available today, would you recommend the Sony one?

I can't comment on the others but I would recommend my Sony PRS-505 Reader to anyone.

A friend at work has the Cybook and it performs pretty well too although I presonally prefer the feel of the Sony's metal case to the Cybook's plastic one.

Content availability doesn't seem to matter too much as everyone on here recommends downloading any format and converting it to anything else

They all seem to use the same screens so it all comes down to preferences like this!

Just my .02 cents.

Cheers,
Terry.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
Greencookie

Talking Thanks again!

Thanks again.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Thanks again.
Since it sounds like you're in the US, don't buy anything until after Oct 2nd. Wait to see what announcement Sony is making before you commit!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #10
Greencookie

I see, okay. Will wait. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I see, okay. Will wait. Thanks!
A couple of thoughts:

I would recommend the Sony, but that's because I own it and really love it.

Someone who loves the Cybook Gen3 (and owns it) will recommend that unit.

They use the same screen, so I think it boils down to other issues, such as ergonomics, the file type(s) a Reader will read, availability of what you like to read for that unit, the firmware that controls the files, etc.

If you are thinking about the Sony (or just want to see what's in the offing), then waiting - as another member here has said - may be advisable.

Finally, you might want to actually feel the Sony, Cybook, Kindle, etc, as that would be helpful for that elusive "feel" that each unit has.

Have fun.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
They use the same screen, so I think it boils down to other issues, such as ergonomics, the file type(s) a Reader will read, availability of what you like to read for that unit, the firmware that controls the files, etc.
I absolutely agree. While I found the Sony more visually appealing, I found myself leaning towards the Cybook and eventaully the Kindle because features and content. Two features that were important to me were dictionary lookup and content search and Sony did not offer them. The Cybook had dictionary lookup and some other nifty features like the ability to load your own fonts. It would have been a little compromise but I was quite close to buying it when the Kindle came out.

I wasn't a fan of the looks of the Kindle, though I do find it quite ergonomic. I was sold by the search capabilities and dictionary. Because of the EVDO access, there's even Wikipedia and Web search. Plus, at the time, they had more titles and they were way cheaper. Other sellers have lowered their prices now to stay competitive so that's not as much of a big deal. Now that I have it, I'm totally blown away by the convenience of the Amazon store and the network access. I didn't think it would matter that much to me when I bought it but now I really love it.

Of course, time has passed since I made my decision and Sony has released some great new firmware for the 505 with better PDF support and ePUB opening up your content options. It still doesn't support my top-ranked features but if those aren't high on your list you might find the Sony pretty attractive. It's the least expensive e-ink option out there and I do like the sleek looks. I'm eager to see what they announce in October. Plus, these three aren't the only game in town. There are other devices out there and new ones on the horizon.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I ordered the Kindle in January -- with a 5-week delay, it arrived in mid-February. I joined MobileRead while I was waiting for the Kindle, and it was here that I first heard of the Sony Reader and all the others. (I was totally surprised that *anyone* would want to read books on a PDA.) In mid-March, I finally saw a Sony in a Borders store and realized that I could have been happy (enough) with it. I did buy a Sony Reader early in the summer, so now I have both. I like them both, but rely on the Kindle for current releases.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #14
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I ordered the Kindle in January -- with a 5-week delay, it arrived in mid-February. I joined MobileRead while I was waiting for the Kindle, and it was here that I first heard of the Sony Reader and all the others. (I was totally surprised that *anyone* would want to read books on a PDA.) In mid-March, I finally saw a Sony in a Borders store and realized that I could have been happy (enough) with it. I did buy a Sony Reader early in the summer, so now I have both. I like them both, but rely on the Kindle for current releases.
Opposite for me. I saw someone on the train with a new Sony PRS-505 right after Thanksgiving of last year. I'm an avid reader so I was very interested. The poor man spent the next 10 minutes answering my questions. Just before he got off the train he gave me a piece of paper with the name of the reader & model number, also this forum address (obviously he's a member here, hi whoever you are). I came to this forum & read for hours about (Sony, the Kindle, & the Cybook Gen3). Visited all their websites, found all the reviews on the net at that time about each product. I still ended up purchasing the Sony 3 days later (I guess it was love at first sight). I try to love the Kindle since at that point there were more content to be had for the Kindle, the price of books, and I also have to admit - the wireless capability. But I could not get pass the look of the Kindle after seeing the Sony! I'm really happy with my choice even though I would love to find a way to buy ebooks from Amazon without purchasing their Kindle!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #15
Greencookie

Thanks for the good advice!

Well, I'm still undecided...but most likely I'll end up with the Sony. The only thing I like about Kindle is ease of locating contents. I just can't find myself paying that much for something that ugly. I was planning to get Kindle 2 rumored to be out this holiday season but release has since push to sometime 2009.
Anyway, once I made the purchase, I'll let everyone know which one I ended up with. Thanks again for all your advice!