Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: In an average month how many ebooks do you purchase (pay money for)?
None 10 12.35%
Less than 2 10 12.35%
2 to 5 39 48.15%
5 to 10 12 14.81%
10 to 20 7 8.64%
More than 20 3 3.70%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
How Many Ebooks Do You Purchase in a Month?

Bob's post begs the question of MR members: In an average month since you first purchased an ebook reader, how many ebooks have you purchased (i.e., paid money for)?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Not counting the 50 Sony Classics that were part of my original purchase of my 500 Reader 10 months ago, I have paid for 31 ebooks from Sony and perhaps a handful from other sites. That's tiny compared to my purchasing rate of pbooks before that. I'm sure that will change but at the moment I'm still heavily in the mode of mostly reading public domain works.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I didn't answer for my current level, because I have been reading alot of PD and free stuff. However, my anticipated level once I get through some of that back log... which is 2 to 5.

Now, if you asked how many ebooks I "read" a month it would be higher.. (I hope).

BOb

PS: Currently reading _Treasure Island_
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
It really varies month to month; I just don't want to go back and average it out.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I always buy the monthly Baen "Webscription" release, so that's about 4 to 6 books a month. Mostly what I read apart from that are PD classics.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I enjoy reading many of the books posted here on MobileRead, including the one's (obviously) that I post myself.

I buy about 2 books a month from Sony. I buy mainly from that site because of my passion for contemporary literature. However, I'll also buy horror and fantasy from them, especially in the early days of last year when they offered a lot more fantasy bundles.

I recently started to buy from FictionWise and I'm very happy with their listings. They have what I refer to as "second-tier" listings of authors and titles. It's only a heirarchical listing (in my mind) and not a listing of quality. From them, I buy the odds and ends that they're famous for, such as the odd SF/Horror magazines and etc.

I consider FictionWise to be a wonderful source of reading material. Their LRF-assembled books look great to me.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Recently my purchases have been skewing back towards print even when e is available, but overall I would estimate 2-5 on average is a good answer for now.
But again as in the "how many overall thread", details about what counts as an e-book purchase - do Amazon shorts count, do Asimov's subscriptions count as 1 or 10 or none?, may skew the answer considerably since a large part of my e-reading consists of short stories - in print too, I buy quite a few anthologies, though I buy many more novels true, and very little non-fiction - the library is good for that since it gets dated easily
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have subscriptions to magazines like Analog at Fictionwise which are delivered when published. In fact I get the magazine before it hits the newsstand.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
Ordinaryuser
Enthusiast
Ordinaryuser doesn't litterOrdinaryuser doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Reader
I mostly buy from Baen. I try the free books and if I like the author's work then a purchase is likely to follow. Especially if it is a series. I will purchase shareware books and if I like an author that offers his works for free and he is very good then a contribution may be in order.

I don't buy books with DRM. One experience with a loss of over $100 dollars that cannot be reaccessed due to computer failure taught me a lesson. I'd rather buy used books and if I like them, keep them for a reread later.

The free Tor books are nice and if they would offer them DRM free they would also be on my list. Their loss.

Works for me!
Ordinaryuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:33 AM   #10
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Not really sure what my exact average is, though there are months were I buy two or three, and then there are months when I buy none. That is not to say that I don't read much, but rather that the bulk of my reading material has been freely acquired from numerous sources.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Hi, my name is Brian and I'm a librioholic...

I buy (what I was amazed to find out, once I did the math) about 7 - 8 new books a month and dl tons from here and feedbooks.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I probably buy 30 - 40 a month.
I've been getting the Harlequin Presents bundle - usually 12 books. I get Webscriptions from Baen. I stay up till 3:00 every Tuesday morning so I can check out the new Fictionwise offerings and usually get at least at least 5 there. I also check everywhere else I can.

No, I haven't read them all but I have read a hell of a lot.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #13
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hmm, i usually spend about £ 50-60 a month on books, mostly Pbooks, but over the last few months its been half of that, as I've been putting money away for my cybook.

Once I get it, it will probably be more e-books as I will have a somthing to read it on.

I do however find that for a lot of books I like to read, the E-book price is more expensive then the actual printed book, once you get the discounts, so will have to see.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
While many of the individual titles that I buy for the Kindle aren't much of a costs savings if any at all, I find on the whole I am spending less on books now. The free samples keep me from buying books that I would have likely bought and either not finished or not read at all. When I went to the bookstore before, I used to buy multiple books at once. I would try to anticipate what I would want to be reading for the next month or so. My moods change and sometimes the fancy for a book will pass. Sometimes I'll read the first chapter or two and not get into the book. All that was money (and resources) wasted. With the Kindle, these books are free samples. They cost me nothing until I actually want to read the book. Add to that all the older public domain works that I can get for free now rather than spending $5 or $10 on the paper copy and I think over time the Kindle may pay for itself while improving my overall reading experience.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:46 PM   #15
Ceili
well, that didn't work
Ceili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
I received my Kindle on the 9th of May, and so far, I've purchased 14 books and I've downloaded approximately 60 sample chapters... each time I find one I want to read, I either purchase or mark it for later viewing (like... if the price goes down )

I can see I'll be going to the poorhouse, but I'll have plenty of reading material while I'm there
Ceili is offline   Reply With Quote