Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-30-2013, 04:33 AM   #1
teotjunk
Connoisseur
teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
Black or White Ebook Reader

Which is better ? Black of White ebook reader

teotjunk
teotjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:43 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Which color do you like best?

Some feel that the black frames make the eInk screen contrast seem stronger, but that's subjective. So get what you want.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I think the contrast is better on black/darker readers. My main device is a kindle so I always get them in a black/dark colour. I bought a kobo mini recently and got that in white for the novelty factor and it does look more attractive especially when you change the snap on backs. Obviously my paperwhite has a better screen so I can't compare it to that, but I think the screens on the kobo mini and my nook simple touch are similar. When I compare them I find that the nook has better contrast and I think that is partly due to the fact that it is black and that the kobo is white?

Also last year I briefly had a kobo glo in white which I compared to the kindle keyboard and kindle touch that I owned at the time. I also thought that the contrast on the kindles were better due to the darker bezel. Maybe it's just the way my eyes work.

You could go to the store and have a look at the white and the black side by side and see which one you prefer.

Last edited by shanghaichica; 06-30-2013 at 04:47 AM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Neither is "better". It's purely a subjective matter of personal preference.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Besides the personal preferences there is a kind of optical illusion working too.

About two years ago Pocketbook, for instance, made some tests with their otherwise identical 9,7" readers with a black and white frame. When the frames where visible the black devices seemed to have a better screen (contrast, sharpness), when the frames where covered by some sheets of paper people couldn't find any difference between the screens.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
krapo
Enthusiast
krapo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 Black, Sony PRS-T1 White, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Besides the personal preferences there is a kind of optical illusion working too.

About two years ago Pocketbook, for instance, made some tests with their otherwise identical 9,7" readers with a black and white frame. When the frames where visible the black devices seemed to have a better screen (contrast, sharpness), when the frames where covered by some sheets of paper people couldn't find any difference between the screens.
Hi, I concur with this. I myself owned the Sony PRS-T1 in white and PRS-T2 in black , and the contrast appeared much better on the black one. I then hid the frames by covering them with paper and saw that it was in fact identical.

It's true that it is subjective, as FizzyWater said, however it's just how the brain works so one has to deal with it

Last edited by krapo; 06-30-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: PRS-T2 => PRS-T1
krapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Personally, I vastly prefer black or dark grey readers. They distract much less from reading than white readers, IMHO. But I'm biased: I prefer all my equipment to be black.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I also prefer a black ereader.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I like my pink 350 and my red 650....

...but he didn't ask about pink or red!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #10
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Black e-reader means that you'll only see the screen in dark conditions (if it's front lit, obviously).
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #11
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
If you're male, you take black. It's that easy. No need to think about that for hours.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I prefer black. As some said, I find that a black bezel gives less distraction than a white one. Though, on my Sony I picked a red one... But I'd never pick white. My tablet is white, but I only get reminded on that if I take it out of its cover. Which is virtually never...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 AM   #13
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I prefer black. As some said, I find that a black bezel gives less distraction than a white one. Though, on my Sony I picked a red one... But I'd never pick white. My tablet is white, but I only get reminded on that if I take it out of its cover. Which is virtually never...
I love white devices. Both of my tablets are white, my phone is white and y iPod touch is white but my main reader has always been black.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The blue one next to the fish.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
If T3 comes in blue, please take posting #11 and replace black with blue.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote