Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #481
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I know an author who lost her hard drive and her entire book (third in a series.)
Astounding to think that anyone would write a book and place so little value on her work as to not make a backup.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #482
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Astounding to think that anyone would write a book and place so little value on her work as to not make a backup.
She had it backed up to a USB stick (or thought she did). Unfortunately, something went badly wrong and it was not recoverable. She's not very computer savvy so she took it to someone to try and get files off, but they were unable to get anything from the hard drive. I was never clear if the backups she thought she was doing never happened or if the USB stick was also corrupted (I am not sure if she understood it.)

She thought she was backing things up, but apparently it didn't work out. Reading those blog entries for the three weeks while she was trying to get the stuff recovered (and it's expensive to even have someone look) was...awful.

I don't even like when I lose an EMAIL because of some glitch...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #483
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
She had it backed up to a USB stick (or thought she did). Unfortunately, something went badly wrong and it was not recoverable. She's not very computer savvy so she took it to someone to try and get files off, but they were unable to get anything from the hard drive. I was never clear if the backups she thought she was doing never happened or if the USB stick was also corrupted (I am not sure if she understood it.)

She thought she was backing things up, but apparently it didn't work out. Reading those blog entries for the three weeks while she was trying to get the stuff recovered (and it's expensive to even have someone look) was...awful.
That's a very scary story, and a lesson to be learned: a backup is only a backup if you can restore stuff from it (try it to be sure).
Old 06-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #484
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Some people are so trusting, ignorant, uneducated (or whatever it is) with regard to computers and technology that they can't even begin to think that anything could go wrong.

You don't want to know how many people I know that have gigabytes of important data sitting on their hard drives or smartphones.... people that are NOT making any backups whatsoever, not even after I tell them.

I learned my lesson in 1996, writing a report for history class, in high school. I had an 80468DX/2 66MHz computer with a 400 MB hard drive. My previous computer had no hard drive, so I only used diskettes. Those broke down constantly, so I made many backups.

Therefore I also made many backups of important stuff that was on the hard drive... I expected it to break down and would need to be repaired or something. But it didn't. It worked, for 2 months... 3 months... a year... and I came to trust it and backups slackened.

Until after two years, the computer crashed and wouldn't boot and the BIOS wouldn't recognize a hard drive anymore.

My mom heard me use some words she didn't expect me to know. From that time onward, I make backups like some sort of obsessed freak. (I use an automated script for that now, and I always have two backups available, at least.)

The computer world only has two kinds of people in it.
1. The ones who make backups because of losing data in the past.
2. The ones who are going to learn to make backups because of losing data somewhere in the future.

Last edited by Katsunami; 08-12-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #485
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
The computer world only has two kinds of people in it.
1. The ones who make backups because of losing data in the past.
2. The ones who are going to learn to make backups because of losing data somewhere in the future.
And only two sorts of disks:

1. Those which have crashed.
2. Those which are about to crash.

Advert
Old 06-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #486
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
She had it backed up to a USB stick (or thought she did). Unfortunately, something went badly wrong and it was not recoverable. She's not very computer savvy...
I can't tell you how many people I have encountered that have had this problem.

"I backed up all my photo's, music.... and there's nothing on the DVD / HDD!"
- "Where were your pictures stored?"
"In Picasa."
- "No, I mean, where on the hard drive? Which folder?"
"Folder?..... What?"
- "Oh no... let me look at that DVD / HDD."

And what do I invariably find? Burned or copied shortcuts to Picasa, Winamp, Media Player, shortcuts pointing to folders on the now dead hard drive... such a Music folder shortcut that was on the desktop, that sort of thing.

It never occurs to those people that burning or copying multiple gigabytes of data (if they can understand the concept of "size of data" in the first place) should take longer than 2 seconds.

Last edited by Katsunami; 06-28-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #487
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
And only two sorts of disks:

1. Those which have crashed.
2. Those which are about to crash.

And thee's two sorts of users:

1. Ignorant users that don't back up
2. Lazy users that don't back up

I tend to fall into the second group
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #488
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm pretty obsessive about backing up when I'm on projects. I'm not as good at doing the offsite backups as I should be. I think I'll work on that this week.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #489
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
I can't tell you how many people I have encountered that have had this problem.

"I backed up all my photo's, music.... and there's nothing on the DVD / HDD!"
- "Where were your pictures stored?"
"In Picasa."
- "No, I mean, where on the hard drive? Which folder?"
"Folder?..... What?"
- "Oh no... let me look at that DVD / HDD."

And what do I invariably find? Burned or copied shortcuts to Picasa, Winamp, Media Player, shortcuts pointing to folders on the now dead hard drive... such a Music folder shortcut that was on the desktop, that sort of thing.

It never occurs to those people that burning or copying multiple gigabytes of data (if they can understand the concept of "size of data" in the first place) should take longer than 2 seconds.
I remember hearing a story from back in the old 'floppy' disk days. This secretary couldn't figure out why floppies she used in the computer weren't working right. The repair guy even took the drive to pieces in an effort to figure out what was wrong. Still, it didn't work right. So he had her go through the steps for him so he could see what she did.

1. Burn data to disk
2. Put label on disk
3. Roll disk into typewriter and type info on label
4. Take disk out of typewriter and put it into drive where it 'mysteriously' failed to read the data
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #490
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I'm pretty obsessive about backing up when I'm on projects. I'm not as good at doing the offsite backups as I should be. I think I'll work on that this week.
I use crashplan and dropbox for that. Very convenient.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #491
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

LOL. The total amount of data of my ripped FLACs is so big that I can't even begin to think about such a service. Even if I could, I don't trust them. Oh, I have a dropbpx-account, all right, but it only contains save games to share with my notebook.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #492
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

We looked into those and just decided to burn copies of important stuff to CD and take it offsite. Not that they don't work or serve a purpose, but multiple copies never hurts especially when it's something that really can't be rewritten...
Old 06-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #493
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
LOL. The total amount of data of my ripped FLACs is so big that I can't even begin to think about such a service. Even if I could, I don't trust them. Oh, I have a dropbpx-account, all right, but it only contains save games to share with my notebook.
I have about 3TB of data backed up with CrashPlan. It took a very long time for the initial backup (maybe six months), but then you are just backing up changes.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #494
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... six months to do your full backup, if you had a crash and needed to restore all your files, how long will it take to get them all back?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #495
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Why not. Crashplan havet unlimited data. I use them for big files and much data.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote