Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
? about which forum to post questions in

Hey everybody, I'm new here and don't want to annoy y'all by posting in the wrong place (which doesn't bode well for getting answers either!). I've been working primarily in Sigil to do an ebook, but I also work in text editors and Word, whatever. So is the general idea to come here when I have a Sigil related issue and to go to the Workshop forum when I have a non-Sigil question? And what is up with the "sticky" threads. And btw I love it here!
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If it's a general question pertaining to a particular format (ePub MOBI, etc...), then it's probably best to ask in the appropriate format's subforum. If it's ebook in general (non-format specific) then the Workshop would make sense. This forum is generally reserved for stuff like "how do I do this with Sigil?", "Why does Sigil do X?" and "can Sigil do Y?" and/or "can the next version of Sigil include Z?"

Basically... if it's a question where Sigil isn't really relevant to the question OR the likely answer, then it probably belongs elsewhere (even if Sigil is what you happen to be using when a non-Sigil-related question arises).

There will be bleed-over, of course. But just avoid shoe-horning non-Sigil-related questions in here simply because you think more (or the right) people will notice it and you'll be golden.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-31-2013 at 01:19 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Sticky's are just topics/threads that stick to the top of the list - instead of getting replaced with newer posts. It keeps important topics where people can easily find them.

If you have a Sigil related question, how to use the product etc., this is the place.

If it is a general ePub related question then you can use the ePub forum...there are SOME smart people that can answer questions on ePubs over there...but not too many...if they were really smart they would be using Sigil!!

Workshop seems to be a generalized forum. Writer is for author related issues. Apple devices if you have a question for them...etc.

There is a short description of each forum under the title of the forum itself that should help guide you around.

Cheers!

[doh...out typed by Diap!]
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks

Thanks Dealer, Makes sense. Appreciate the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If it's a general question pertaining to a particular format (ePub MOBI, etc...), then it's probably best to ask in the appropriate format's subforum. If it's ebook in general (non-format specific) then the Workshop would make sense. This forum is generally reserved for stuff like "how do I do this with Sigil?", "Why does Sigil do X?" and "can Sigil do Y?" and/or "can the next version of Sigil include Z?"

Basically... if it's a question where Sigil isn't really relevant to the question OR the likely answer, then it probably belongs elsewhere (even if Sigil is what you happen to be using when a non-Sigil-related question arises).

There will be bleed-over, of course. But just avoid shoe-horning non-Sigil-related questions in here simply because you think more (or the right) people will notice it and you'll be golden.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

thanks for the info (and the chuckle) Turtle. Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Sticky's are just topics/threads that stick to the top of the list - instead of getting replaced with newer posts. It keeps important topics where people can easily find them.

If you have a Sigil related question, how to use the product etc., this is the place.

If it is a general ePub related question then you can use the ePub forum...there are SOME smart people that can answer questions on ePubs over there...but not too many...if they were really smart they would be using Sigil!!

Workshop seems to be a generalized forum. Writer is for author related issues. Apple devices if you have a question for them...etc.

There is a short description of each forum under the title of the forum itself that should help guide you around.

Cheers!

[doh...out typed by Diap!]
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Ask yourself: if I were looking for an answer to this question, where would I search for it first?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

makes sense

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Ask yourself: if I were looking for an answer to this question, where would I search for it first?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Which, by the way, leads me to the fact that you should actually look for the answer before posting the question, it might be already there
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:31 AM   #9
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
I would like to add another hint even if it is somewhat off topic.

There are a lot of people that dislike 'top posting'. Some of them can be quite harsh in their critic. so I thought I would just mention it before someone else does it.

With 'top posting' I mean the way to post an answer to a quote above the quote.

The natural order to read a post for most is:

- read the quote to learn what the post is talking about
- read the answer to the quote.

When someone post their answer above the quote, you have to look down first and then up again to read the post.

From my point of view: If this way of posting is your style, go for it, but know that someday someone might get irritated. If you just never thought about it, you could do so now and make an informed decision later.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlite View Post
I would like to add another hint even if it is somewhat off topic.

There are a lot of people that dislike 'top posting'. Some of them can be quite harsh in their critic. so I thought I would just mention it before someone else does it.

With 'top posting' I mean the way to post an answer to a quote above the quote.

The natural order to read a post for most is:

- read the quote to learn what the post is talking about
- read the answer to the quote.

When someone post their answer above the quote, you have to look down first and then up again to read the post.

From my point of view: If this way of posting is your style, go for it, but know that someday someone might get irritated. If you just never thought about it, you could do so now and make an informed decision later.
I didn't even realize I was "top posting." But now that you've explained it to me I won't do it anymore. Thanks!