Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But there's no reason that you have to buy the SO model, is there? That's the part of your post that puzzled me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #17
pietro99
Connoisseur
pietro99 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
The shipping agent says that is the only one available to them currently. It doesn't matter, as I don't intend registering it.
pietro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro99 View Post
The shipping agent says that is the only one available to them currently. It doesn't matter, as I don't intend registering it.
There's really no reason NOT to register it. To make that choice through some fear about what Amazon might learn about what you're reading seems a little odd to me. Do you actually CARE if Amazon know what you're reading?

Last edited by HarryT; 01-08-2013 at 08:02 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #19
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
There is no advantage to me to register my PW, but there are some disadvantages.

No advantage as I don't use wifi at all, always sideload my books, (even if bought from Amazon), I don't want to manage collections on the PW, I wish to do so on my computer as usual. However, I don't have a problem with people seeing what I am reading - I really like to use the cover of my current book as my screensaver - but I don't want information from my device being shared without my knowledge or agreement, (in fact I don't use Cloud storage in any form at all, not just Amazon but Apple, Google etc.), neither do I want my device to be updated without my permission - there are often bugs in first releases of software as well as so called "improvements" that are often anything but.

I am an ex IT professional and keep my computer working well with at least two backups so I have no need of external cloud data backups. Synchronisation? Personally I don't want the same data (or books) on all my devices. Each device is used differently so having the same data on each would be counter productive. I realise that many people prefer to relinquish all responsibility for the safe keeping of their own data and that is fine by me, as long as it isn't made obligatory to do so.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #20
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Amazon does test it's OS before sending it out.
Usually updates mean improving a previous OS.
So far, I have not yet seen any OS updates yet.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
pietro99
Connoisseur
pietro99 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
There is no advantage to me to register my PW, but there are some disadvantages.

No advantage as I don't use wifi at all, always sideload my books, (even if bought from Amazon), I don't want to manage collections on the PW, I wish to do so on my computer as usual. However, I don't have a problem with people seeing what I am reading - I really like to use the cover of my current book as my screensaver - but I don't want information from my device being shared without my knowledge or agreement, (in fact I don't use Cloud storage in any form at all, not just Amazon but Apple, Google etc.), neither do I want my device to be updated without my permission - there are often bugs in first releases of software as well as so called "improvements" that are often anything but.
This pretty much sums up why I won't register as well.
pietro99 is offline   Reply With Quote