Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #61
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Maybe they are/were waiting for this fix before they rolled out any further...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #62
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Either way some announcement rom Kobo is well overdue as the 2.1.4 roll out does not seem to happening.
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #63
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I think it's about time for Kobo to consider freezing the firmware on the original KT, except perhaps for critical updates. It's been out for 16 months now, and it's been through a dozen firmware updates. The first few added major improvements, but recently they've been fiddling pointlessly with the UI, creating as many new bugs as solving old bugs, adding more intrusive advertising, and adding support for newer models that doesn't matter to owners of older devices. For me the KT is perfectly usable as it is, and I'm sure it will remain one of my most-used and most-appreciated devices for some time to come. There are certainly problems remaining, but if the developers haven't managed to fix it by now, there's little likelihood they ever will.
While I don't necessarily agree that they should freeze the firmware for good it would be advisable for KOBO to (1) release bugfixes in between major frimware releases and (2) make updates optional. What annoys me and would prevent me from buying a KOBO device again is the fact that there is no bug-free firmware version available since every new release seems to introduce new bugs and/or drops formerly available useful features.

It has to be said though that 2.1.4. is the best firmware yet (at least on my device) in so far as it does not have too many obvious bugs, that its major shortcoming (ridiculous hyphenation settings for some languages) can be manually fixed in the update files and that the firmware is generally much more responsive compared to previous versions.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #64
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post

It has to be said though that 2.1.4. is the best firmware yet (at least on my device) in so far as it does not have too many obvious bugs, that its major shortcoming (ridiculous hyphenation settings for some languages) can be manually fixed in the update files and that the firmware is generally much more responsive compared to previous versions.
2.1.1 seems the best to me (although I haven't tried 2.1.4). I'd miss the chapter progress indicators.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #65
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Has anybody had the upgrade to 2.1.4 in the last couple of days?
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #66
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Has anybody had the upgrade to 2.1.4 in the last couple of days?
Not here - still on 2.0.0
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #67
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
anyone got a direct link to 2.1.4 ?
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #68
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
anyone got a direct link to 2.1.4 ?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #69
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still on 1.9.17 and not from any lack of trying for an OTA update over the last 2 weeks. :P
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #70
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Fri morn here in Aus and still no update to report.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #71
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
Fri morn here in Aus and still no update to report.
Same for me. Tried both via the desktop and wifi; nothing.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #72
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
I've connected my primary Touch (yes, I have two)... for the first time in about three months, thinking I'd finally take the plunge (after being on 1.9.17) - but nothing new to report.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #73
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I think it's about time for Kobo to consider freezing the firmware on the original KT, except perhaps for critical updates. It's been out for 16 months now, and it's been through a dozen firmware updates. The first few added major improvements, but recently they've been fiddling pointlessly with the UI, creating as many new bugs as solving old bugs, adding more intrusive advertising, and adding support for newer models that doesn't matter to owners of older devices. For me the KT is perfectly usable as it is, and I'm sure it will remain one of my most-used and most-appreciated devices for some time to come. There are certainly problems remaining, but if the developers haven't managed to fix it by now, there's little likelihood they ever will.

Personally, I'll try 2.1.4 when it rolls out (since I'm currently stuck with the buggy 2.0.0 release), but I may end up going back to 1.9.17 if I don't like it. And that will be it for me.
I really hope they don't freeze it. Other than epub reading performance, I liked 2.0.0. And I like 2.1.4 even better. I would like it if they removed one of the shop links on the home screen, but I can ignore them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #74
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
And the answer to that is yes, that's what they are doing. But, it would be nice to have an official statement in a public place.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #75
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
2.1.1 seems the best to me (although I haven't tried 2.1.4). I'd miss the chapter progress indicators.
I'm missing that too. It was a nice (and working) feature. Strange that they took it out in the latest firmware.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote