Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #121
sonytzu
sonytzu began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch, sony prs-505, motorola xoom
Hi everyone, I've had a NST for 2 and a a half weeks and been very happy with it. After receiving it, I charged it right away for about 3 hours until the led turned green, so the battery must have been close to empty. Then I registered and rooted it, and with reading about 4 hrs a day it lasted 2 weeks. I recharged when the batter was at 24-30%.
After the recharge, I read for an average of 30min - 1 hr a day and in 3 days it got to 91% (this morning). When I came home today and cheched the battery (after about 9 hrs in standby with wifi off) it showed 57%. It was such a shock! What could be wrong with it?
sonytzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #122
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
The general recommendation seems to be that you need to go thru at least 2 or 3 charge cycles before the battery stabilizes. However, you may have a Touch with the rapid-draining problem, which is fully detailed in this thread. Nowadays, B&N will exchange them for a new one in the store during the one-year warranty period, I think.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #123
sonytzu
sonytzu began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch, sony prs-505, motorola xoom
Thank you for the reply RAH, I've read everything on this topic, unfortunately i can't return my nook since i don't live in US. The other nook i bought for my sister went down only 30% in 3 weeks of standby whereas mine used to go down 1% every 8 hours of standby and 1% for every hour of reading. It seems quite a lot in comparison, and now after recharging it dropped form 91% to 57% in 9 hrs, it's more than even what you were reporting with your faulty nook and it's not constant. I'll try your method and see.
sonytzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #124
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I tried turning it off a few charges ago based on some comments on the old battery problem thread and it did not work for me. Though I am pretty sure I just turned it off for a few minutes.

But it was time to charge again, so I am going to give it another try. Like RAH's, drop 1 percent per hour unless I top off.

edit: turning off for a couple hours seems to have worked. Sitting at 100 percent 7 hours after charging.
1% an hour seems excellent to me, about 100 hours usage (90 if you want to get finnicky). Remember, the more you turn pages the less battery lasts... I´d measure it in page turns more than days (usually rated at 10000 page turns)
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #125
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing I did do yesterday was draining the battery with the glowlight and the wake from sleep screen. Just pressed the N until the glowlight came on and slipped it into the case. It discharged in just a couple of hours (full glowlight on). I don´t think it could happen accidentally (takes quite a long time to turn on) but it MIGHT happen. Hope B&N can fix this!
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 05:02 AM   #126
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I don't really trust the NST battery indicator since it seems to jump around. I use it as a rough guide. I read that it is good to charge the battery before it gets too low anyway, and I have not taken it on a long vacation, so I will just wait and see if I ever run out of battery. Doubt it will happen though.
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #127
susaz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mujokan View Post
I don't really trust the NST battery indicator since it seems to jump around. I use it as a rough guide. I read that it is good to charge the battery before it gets too low anyway, and I have not taken it on a long vacation, so I will just wait and see if I ever run out of battery. Doubt it will happen though.
Yes, of course, the percentile indicator is just a reference. Sometimes it takes a little more or less to discharge. I´ve been reading quite a few hours lately, turning it off and on, and after the third day I had 80%... As in any conservation scheme, the less you turn it on or off, smaller print and wider margins (to avoid too rapid page changes) help conserve battery. Keep wifi on, glow on minimum necessary, and enjoy.

I have to say that glowlight eats up a huge amount of energy. But charging it every 15 days or so is much better than any tablet!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #128
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Keep wifi OFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
As in any conservation scheme, the less you turn it on or off, smaller print and wider margins (to avoid too rapid page changes) help conserve battery. Keep wifi on, glow on minimum necessary, and enjoy.
Good battery conservation tips ... but I think you meant to say "keep wifi off".

Last edited by MartyTX; 07-26-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Add longer quote
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #129
susaz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
Good battery conservation tips ... but I think you meant to say "keep wifi off".
Yes! Thanks! Sorry about that!
Old 08-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #130
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I discovered that with both of my faulty Nooks that there is a charging technique that STOPS the rapid discharge problem. I detail it in several "versions" in that other thread, as I discovered them, but here is a summary. This assumes that you have a faulty Touch:

1) Let you Nook discharge down to about 25 or 30%

2) Use the charger (or the PC/USB cable connection if you don't have a charger) to charge it to 100% . This usually takes about exactly 2 hours with the charger (wait till the green light comes on).

3) Use the Nook and/or leave it alone (let it go to sleep) for a long enough time for the charge to drop to about 90% or less. If you have a rapidly-draining Touch, this should be say 10 hours or so.

4) Charge the Nook again, "topping it off" back up to 100% using either the charger or the PC/USB connection. Once you have done this, the Touch will no longer drain rapidly, but just the expected 2-4% per day, whether in use or in sleep (with WiFi OFF).

In my experience, using the PC/USB charge for step 4 might work better. I have NEVER had my faulty TOUCH continue to rapidly drain after performing step 4 (until the next time I charged it as in step 1, of course).
RAH,

After using your technique for over 3 months, I'm happy to say that it works perfectly! Thank you very much. With zero use, my NST will drop about 10% overnight before the top-off. After the top-off, it's an energy miser good for over a month. I use the charger for the initial charge and the PC/USB for the top-off.

I've seen the post indicating that a full power-off after the initial charge also works, but all my books are sideloaded on an SD card, and I've had some "LOST.DIR" glitches in the past after a power-off. I'll stick to your 4 step method.

Thanks again,
Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #131
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Marty, glad to hear that you are having good luck with the topping-off procedure (although it's a shame we have to do that!).

Thanks for the warning about the full power-off procedure. I've been using it for several months now and it is working OK for me, but I'll keep an eye on things and go back to topping-off if I see any trouble.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote