Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
DeathApple
DeathApple began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Kobo Vox can't see transferred books

Hi,

Using calibre I add an epub book to it, convert the format, (calibre recognizes Kobo Vox) no problem.

I then connect my vox and wait for Calibre to detect it, no problem.

I select a book from my Calibre library and select "send to device" no problem.

Disconnect device, no book in any library on Vox.

The books do show up on the Kobo vox if you look at it while connected to the computer, but the vox itself doesnt see these books.

Am I missing a step? Do I need to download something to the Vox to view the Calibre converted books?

Everything seems to work without a flaw, except the reading part

Any help would be appreciated.
DeathApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
Joham
Joham began at the beginning.

Had the same problem; go and install a SD in Kobo Vox & tranfer the eBook to the SD; then go to Kobo library, press menu and import the ebook from the SD - it works.
Joham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
DeathApple

I was going to try that after all else failed, but while playing around with the device a little more I found a section to change memory from SD to onboard memory.

Which is strange because I don't have an SD card installed.

After doing this, there was the book waiting to be uploaded...four times which is how many times I retried to send the book from Calibre.

Strange answer but it worked.

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
JaKr
JaKr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox EReader
Kobo Vox can't see transferred book

Can you please let me know what exactly you did in terms of memory switch as I have the same problem and am not able to find how to do it.

Thanks in advance..
JaKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
DeathApple

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKr View Post
Can you please let me know what exactly you did in terms of memory switch as I have the same problem and am not able to find how to do it.

Thanks in advance..
I went through that thing a hundred times and cannot for the life of me find the spot I did it in.

Perhaps the option is not present now that the Vox knows I'm just using onboard memory? Who knows.

The closest thing I can find:

Go to the devices desktop, push on the middle hard button and one of the options should be "settings". click that, click "storage" and see if it shows anything to do with unmounting external storage.

I'm sure what I did was much more direct and self explanatory than this, but I can't replicate what I did, so try it.

Otherwise, remember when you add the book to your device using Calibre, you still have to go to the Vox's library and then find the option to "import content"

This will bring up any transferred books and once selected they will only now upload and show on the devices readable library.

Sorry I can't remember exactly what I did, but hopefully this helps.
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
JaKr
JaKr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox EReader
Thanks for the efforts to recall what you did.
I went through the settings many times and couldn't figure it out. At the end
I bought micro SD card and it worked like charm.

Regards...
JaKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
heleneArch
heleneArch began at the beginning.

DeathApple,
Just got my Vox and was frustrated, as everything worked fine until the transfer.
Here's what I did.
After using Calibre to send the epub files to device, I then ejected device on Calibre.
Then, on the Kobo you have to turn off storage.
Then, go to the Library on the Vox. Click on the middle (lines) icon (to the right of the Home) on the Vox. Click on Import Content.
You should see a list of all the books on there. Select those you wish to transfer. Unselect those you want to keep. Then follow instructions.
Worked for me. Took me 1 hour to figure it out, but now my 400 epub books are not lost!
Hope it helped you.
Happy Holidays all
heleneArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
suziereader
suziereader began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks for this information everyone. I finally got it to work based on your information. I think I now understand how the Kobo is set up. There are 3 types of memory. One is for the Library (shows which books that are on the shelf), one is the the Main memory referred to as the Internal SD card and one is the External SD card.

I'm going to guess that the Internal SD card ought to be used to store all your books but you can have access to only some or all of them in the library if you choose. So if you have 1000 books, rather than having them all clutter up the library, you could just have a few "books on the shelf". But if you want to add more books to the shelf, you can get them from the "main memory". The purpose of the external SD card is simply to allow you to transfer books directly to the library (and maybe the Internal SD card).

I was about to return it today out of frustration. I returned my first one because it could not hold a charge.
suziereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
heleneArch
heleneArch began at the beginning.

suziereader I'm glad you got it to work, and yes there are 3 memory cards, the 3rd one being optional.

I've heard the Vox can hold up to 8000 books. I've got 2 000 so far on mine, all on the shelf. What can I say... I'm a book lover

I've had my Vox since day before Christmas and I would not trade it for anything in the world. First one bought. No issue, except for... well, read below.

One thing that IS very important:
DO NOT EVER and I do mean EVER, click on "Do not remind me" when the USB connection is made between Kobo and your PC.
I learned this the hard way
All my transfers were going fine, until after 5 days I thought I'd had enough of seeing that message. I clicked on "don't remind me", and the next day when I connected the Kobo to the PC... the PC wouldn't recognize the Kobo. So no transfers could be done. I had to do a factory reset (meaning I lost EVERYTHING on the Kobo).
So please... I know the message is annoying, but DO NOT click on that. Or you'll have this same issue.
Factory resets are not good, you lose awards, your ebooks, everything that's on the Kobo, the SD cards...

Thought I'd share
heleneArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #10
DeathApple

Good tips, thanks for the responses!
Old 01-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
cool4kaz
cool4kaz began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Unable to import books onto vox

I am having the same issues as many people on this forum, when I try to import my book from the pc to the vox I get an error message saying that it is unable to import all of my items and to try again Can any body make any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong?
cool4kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
annian
annian began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g wireless+wifi new E ink pearl technology
How to install books for Kobo Vok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathApple View Post
Hi,

Using calibre I add an epub book to it, convert the format, (calibre recognizes Kobo Vox) no problem.

I then connect my vox and wait for Calibre to detect it, no problem.

I select a book from my Calibre library and select "send to device" no problem.

Disconnect device, no book in any library on Vox.

The books do show up on the Kobo vox if you look at it while connected to the computer, but the vox itself doesnt see these books.

Am I missing a step? Do I need to download something to the Vox to view the Calibre converted books?

Everything seems to work without a flaw, except the reading part

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi
Here are Instructions

01) Plug your Kobo into your computer with the USB cable.
02) Turn on USB Storage (this will connect your Kobo to the computer)
03) When your Kobo shows up on your computer (under devices), drag your epubs into the epub folder (Untitled device / KoboPegasus / Epubs )
04) Eject your Kobo from your computer and turn off USB storage
05) Go to your library
06) Go to Menu and tap 'Import Content'
07) Click Start
08) Kobo will now search the built in memory card and pick up the epubs you put into the epub folder.
09) when done all books will with ticks in each
10) Now import content (No to keep on sd card or PC)
11)W ill now import all books to library.
annian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool4kaz View Post
I am having the same issues as many people on this forum, when I try to import my book from the pc to the vox I get an error message saying that it is unable to import all of my items and to try again Can any body make any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong?
Assuming you are talking about books in ePub format, the Kobo reader on the Vox will only import non-DRM books.

If they have DRM you can read them in another reader. In my case I use the OverDrive/Adobe reader as recommended by the public library where I get my books.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #14
hotshot79
hotshot79 began at the beginning.

**Kobo Vox Main Memory use with Calibre - Solved**!!!

Hey guys just wanted to let you know I figured this out....

1. In Calibre click the drop down menu arrow beside the Device button

2. Select "Configure this Device"

3. In the "Comma separated list of directories to send e-books to on the device's main memory. The first one that exists will be used" field enter: "KoboPegasus\epubs" as the FIRST DIRECTORY. (Don't forget to put a comma and a space after the "KoboPegasus\epubs" - so the field should look like this:
"KoboPegasus\epubs, eBooks/import, wordplayer/calibretransfer, Books, sdcard/ebooks"

Calibre will now save the ePubs to the correct dirrectory on the main memory - no need for the SD card!! Upload and enjoy!

Hope this helps.....

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	448
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	126161  
hotshot79 is offline   Reply With Quote