Notices

View Poll Results: How many of us have decided to upgrade to the new Kindles
Me, I'm upgrading to the new Kindles 19 31.15%
Mine is fine and I have no plans to upgrade 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Upgrading

How many of us have decided to upgrade?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
To what exactly?

Keybaordless Kindle doesn't seem like an upgrade unless you crave compact size and low weight above all else.

Kindle Touch on the other hand may be attractive. But it all depends on execution. Pairing eInk with touchscreen can be very tricky
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool hmmmm....

concerning the new kindle, i don't mind the lack of touchscreen at all and the 5way driven on-screen keyboard is fine with me, but the one thing that i don't at all care for is the storage being cut back from 4 gig to 2 gig. that's a backward step to me. i sure hope the keyboard model stays available in case i need a replacement unit.

concerning the other two models (kindle touch and kindle fire), i don't want a tablet and i don't want a touchscreen eink reader.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
I haven't participated in the poll as yet as I am currently undecided. I will see what the early adopters have to say once the new Kindles are actually available.

About the only time I use the keyboard is when I am adding a new collection so a physical keyboard is not an absolute necessity; the Touch, therefore, may be just fine. As Blog Kindle said, it sort of depends upon the implementation of the touch screen technology with an eInk screen.

As for the Fire, a tablet might be nice, especially at that price point, but it sort of depends upon how locked down it is, and, as my main use of it would be as an eReader, how well it still performs that task and what the colour screen adds to the experience as I won't be reading children's books or comic books. I can see colour being very nice for photos in biographies or history books, maps and things like that, but most of the physical books I have now include only black and white photos, so.....

Of course the main deciding point right now is that I don't have the money to buy a new eReader of any sort anyway , so I am determinedly still quite happy with my Kindle 3!

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
concerning i sure hope the keyboard model stays available in case i need a replacement unit.

concerning the other two models (kindle touch and kindle fire), i don't want a tablet and i don't want a touchscreen eink reader.

I completely agree with all of this. I hope they keep a kindle keyboard model around as I believe a lot of people are like us and do not want a touch kindle. I also have no need for a tablet. Hopefully they'll continue to have options for everyone's taste(ex. touch, keyboard, & tablet versions).
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
You forgot the THIRD bullet: "Adding to my Collection!" That is my selection.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I no longer use my k3 someone else in the house inherited it, she has never and likely never will use the keyboard on it. I am thinking of getting her the 79 dollar kindle, she will be able to read just as easily on it and have a smaller lighter device to carry around with her.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
For those that enjoy using the 3G free browsing on the Keyboard model, and wanted to upgrade to the 3G Touch model, this may Not be an upgrade. Stay tuned...
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
None of the new Kindles is an upgrade in terms of my personal requirements. I like the physical keyboard and hardware page-turn buttons.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
None of the new Kindles is an upgrade in terms of my personal requirements. I like the physical keyboard and hardware page-turn buttons.
It's nice of Amazon to make a new Kindle, that does not make us ferociously jealous.....just a positive way to look at it....thxs Amazon.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
I haven't participated in the poll as yet as I am currently undecided. I will see what the early adopters have to say once the new Kindles are actually available.

---Snip---

Of course the main deciding point right now is that I don't have the money to buy a new eReader of any sort anyway , so I am determinedly still quite happy with my Kindle 3!

Holly
^This & This.

I've already decided (as of last night) that I do not want a K4, as it is the K3 with less capacity but in a prettier box, and I am actually quite happy w/ my K3.

What I am curious about is the KT. My iPhone is the only touchscreen device I own and there are things I both love and hate about it. I'm looking forward to a comprehensive, video review of the KT before I make a final decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdek View Post
It's nice of Amazon to make a new Kindle, that does not make us ferociously jealous.....just a positive way to look at it....thxs Amazon.
So far this is very true!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
If the fire becomes available in the UK I will buy it but not as an upgrade, I will still use my K3 for reading.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I plan to get a Touch because it is faster, smaller, and lighter, and I prefer a touch interface for the most part (assuming it is a good implementation). I'm curious about the xray feature as well. I think the web browser should be easier to work with as well (because of the performance boost and ease of navigating links). I'd also like a Kindle with SO, so it is kind of a two-fer.

However I cancelled my pre-order for Touch3G because it looks like there's a good possibility that the 3G is going to be crippled (restricted to amazon and wikipedia only). I probably won't order again until after it ships and this question is resolved.

I have also ordered Fire, but it's not going to be my primary reading device.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
If the fire becomes available in the UK I will buy it
Don't hold your breath. It's very unlikely, I think, that the Fire will be sold outside the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #15
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Not sure whether to answer yes or not. I have upgraded, but not to one of the "new" Kindles...I upgraded to a K3.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote