Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #2056
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'm going to cry buckets when my one and only i-thing (iPod Classic) dies. Nothing out there has that kind of memory capability. Looked at the Delphin, but it's still only 8 or 16 GB.
That's all I need, since I can download a fresh book at any time on my home WiFi. I don't actually need to keep a whole lot on the device itself. UNLIKE my iPod Nano, where if I want to change books, and it isn't on the device, I have to get out of the pool, put on a robe, take it upstairs to my office, open iTunes, and transfer it to the iPod. Oh, and I've now lost my place in the book if I'm currently reading it on any other device. Once the book transfers, I now get to go back down to the pool and try and get back into my interrupted swim.

Required memory is a different concept when you have connectivity.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #2057
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Just finished David Gemmell's Legend. Excellent read and the reader was perfect. He sounds like a gnarled old story teller, telling the story around the camp fire. Perfect for this series of books. I recommend it highly.

Now on to Hell's Foundations Quiver, #8 in the Safehold series. It's a long book (31 hours) so I will be listening for a while. I still haven't bought #9 yet. I have it in ebook so I know how the story ends, but $41 is just a bit more than I'm willing to pay for that particular audiobook. I might get it if it drops down to $30.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #2058
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Just finished David Gemmell's Legend. Excellent read and the reader was perfect. He sounds like a gnarled old story teller, telling the story around the camp fire. Perfect for this series of books. I recommend it highly.

Now on to Hell's Foundations Quiver, #8 in the Safehold series. It's a long book (31 hours) so I will be listening for a while. I still haven't bought #9 yet. I have it in ebook so I know how the story ends, but $41 is just a bit more than I'm willing to pay for that particular audiobook. I might get it if it drops down to $30.
Check your library. If they don't have it, they can get it, it's on Overdrive. So put in a recommendation. (Or join Audible using a coupon and choose that as your free book.)
Old 08-06-2017, 12:56 PM   #2059
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Check your library. If they don't have it, they can get it, it's on Overdrive. So put in a recommendation. (Or join Audible using a coupon and choose that as your free book.)
Thanks for the suggestion, but the main reason that I would get it is simply to complete the set rather than a strong need to listen to it. Like I said, I have read the ebook, so I know how it turns out. If I get it, I will listen to it, of course. I found the ebook to be a bit of a let down with several major plot points never resolved. If they weren't using Wyman Oliver as the narrator, I don't think I would even consider it. He is good.

I think I have something like 16.3 days worth of audio books in my car listening list and 100 days worth in my to be read list, so I'm all set to sit in my bunker and listen to audiobooks if the zombie apocalypse ever happens.

Mostly, I buy books that I either really want to listen to (and which jump to the front of the list), or audiobooks that I pick up for a few bucks because I bought the ebook and there was a deal. I am one of those guys who likes to complete series though.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:22 PM   #2060
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I read the first four or five Maisies in hardcover as they came out, trying to enjoy them, but I disliked the character more and more with each book, and finally gave up. I like the Bess Crawford series--Bess is a WWI British nurse--much better.
I'm on Maisie #6, Among the Mad, looks like I started the series back in December, it's not a series I want to read straight through, but I still like coming back to it. Maisie may not be the most likeable character, but she's interesting. This one has a darker feel, but the mystery is keeping me engaged.

A couple of months ago I listened to Stephen Fry read Sherlock Holmes, awesome reading!

I also listened to Stephanie Plum 20 to 23 recently. The outright silliness of some of the prior books almost made me give up the series, but these caught me in a mood where I thought they were fun, despite Stephanie's cars continuing to blow up with monotonous regularity.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2017, 08:07 AM   #2061
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
What are we listening to? (audiobooks)

While walking on the treadmill at Planet Fitness yesterday I unexpectedly finished Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body’s Most Underrated Organ by Giulia Enders (audiobook narrated by Katy Sobey). Not wanting to take the time to visit my approximately year's worth of backlog on Audible to figure out what's next on my to-be-read list (damn those Daily Deals!), I opted to download one of my two Downpour books I haven't yet read. I'm now listening to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (read by Grover Gardner).

I also now have the next two Audible audiobooks downloaded to my phone so I won't be caught short again (Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke read by Eric Michael Summerer and Robert J. Sawyer, and Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl read by Simon Vance).

By the way, Gut was pretty decent. I found the last two chapters to be the most pertinent to my life. If you desire to read it, you may want to consider starting with those chapters, then going through the entire book from start to finish.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-07-2017 at 08:10 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #2062
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I am listening to Herman Melville - The Whale (Or, Moby Dick). The writing is amazing, but the story is moving sooo slowly. I have not enjoyed it nearly as much as I had hoped for, and I still have 14 hours to go..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #2063
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I've been listening to a lot of books lately. More than actually reading, for some reason. Too many to catch up on here, but my current listening is two books: Jane Eyre, read by Nadia May (aka, Donada Peters; real name, Wanda McCaddon). The start of the book was slow, and I wasn't sure I could really get into it, but after the 10th chapter, things started to really improve. And Nadia May's narration is, unsurprisingly, superb. (FWIW, I also tried listening to the Thandia Newton narration, and it was good, but not as compelling as the Nadia May version. )

Also listening to To Fire Called, the latest Solar Clipper tale from Nathan Lowell. An undemanding pleasure.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #2064
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

I'm getting close to the end of Hell's Foundations Quiver. The 5th of the Lockwood & Co books just came out on Tuesday, so I got both the ebook and audiobook (no discount). I normally prefer to read then listen, so I will probably stick with my current next up (Garth Nix's Goldenhand). At work, I've been listening to Larry Correa's Hard Magic. It's a good book and the narrator is perfect for the book.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:15 PM   #2065
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I listened to The Address, by Fiona Davis, narrated by Saskia Maarleveld and Brittany Pressley. As with Davis's previous novel, the setting is an iconic NYC building--in The Dollhouse, it was the Barbizon, in The Address, it's the Dakota.

The novel focuses on a London woman who is the luxury apartment building's "lady managerette" when it opens in 1884, and her involvement with one of the architects, who is murdered in his apartment. A second timeline involves his descendants, who still retain the apartment, a hundred years later.

Although some of the secondary characters seemed to go off the rails a bit, the book was quite enjoyable, with its descriptions of old New York's Upper West Side as the city was expanding northward, and of the glamorous Dakota. The book also weaves in Nellie Bly's undercover stint in a madhouse, which was both fascinating and upsetting.

If you don't know the Dakota, it's the apartment building where John Lennon lived and where he was murdered; scores of other celebrities have lived there.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:23 AM   #2066
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Watch Me Disappear, by Janelle Brown, is awful and a waste of time. The story revolves around a woman who disappeared while on a solo hiking trip; a year later, as she's about to be declared legally dead--her body was never found--her husband and teenage daughter uncover secrets that challenge their idea of who she was, and make them question whether she's still alive. The biggest mystery in the book is why anyone would care about this self-centered, self-righteous, double-dealing woman.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #2067
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Finished up Hell's Foundations Quiver and moved on to Goldenhand. The narrator for Goldenhand is Heather Wilds, who I hadn't heard before. Kind of hard to beat Tim Curry, who was the narrator for the first 3 books.

I ran into one weird issue when I upgraded my car iTouch to IOS 11. I was about an hour from the end of HFQ when I upgraded, but when I went to listen, I couldn't hear anything. It appeared to be playing, but no sound. I moved to the next book (Goldenhand) and that worked. When I tried it on my mac, no sound came out either. Of course, I had upgraded to the iTunes version that supported IOS 11. I went through my playlist and had the issue with 10 of the books. I was able to correct the problem by deleting the MP3 files and then adding them back. The only commonality that I could see was they were all added around the same time, May and June of last year, however not every MP3 audiobook that I added in the batch was effected. The aax (audible format) books didn't seem to be effected.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #2068
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Yet another reason to hold off on this iOS version.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #2069
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yet another reason to hold off on this iOS version.
The iTunes upgrade had the same issue, so just holding off on the IOS version wouldn't have helped.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #2070
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Well, that's even easier. I only use iTunes to copy book files to my ancient iPod or my phone, so I'm never in a hurry to upgrade it. Especially since Apple seems to be determined to ruin a functional UI at ever major upgrade. What used to be an actually usable interface is now hopeless and getting worse. So I avoid upgrades for as long as possible.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations